20-250 Wildcat

A long shot, I know, but has anyone got a 20-250? I know the Birmingham Proof House have never seen one, but just wanted to check if anyone could advise me in any way before I have one built.

Picked up an ideal donor rifle at the weekend and fancy having a really unusual calibre. The plan is a pacnor barrel with 1 in 9 twist for 50 and possibly 45 grain bullets. I want a no-turn neck.

Any words of wisdom, please?

yeah this guy built one, had probles getting good bullets for the velocities reached

20-250

Guest Rich.K

Thanks Craigyboy an interesting link. I think maybe the 20-250 is just past the realms of sensible? A 20 BR maybe the sensible limit? Anyway the 204 is keeping me smiling

yeah it would seem that the 20-250 would be a bit too much gun for a 40g 20cal bullet, though I reckon a 1-9 barrel with 50grain bergers might make it a bit more predictable and a lot of fun. Bruce Potts was able to push those 50grain bergers at over 4000fps out of his necked down 6-47 swiss match case, if I was going 20 wilcat I would either go 20ppc, 20br or 20 statan (6-47 necked down). Rich I still smile everytime I range a shot and realise there is no point in working out holdover as there isnt any. At the start I actually shot over a load of rabbits a 200 yards thinking I needed holdover.

Guest Rich.K

Yeah saw the article on the 20 Satan, a screamer. I must admit I shot over the top of a fox with my 204, gutted!!! Just ordered some Norma brass, my Win brass has started to split.

rich where are you getting the norma brass?

craigyboy, thanks for the link. I'd seen that before, but couldn't remember where!

Rich, who said I had to be sensible?!!

Just spoke to Dave Kiff at Pacific about the reamer, so things are progressing.

Guest Rich.K

17 rem, no thats cool. If we all did what was sensible, followed suit or 'safe' it would be a pretty boring place!!! You might want to get a couple of barrels done tho!! :blink:

17 rem, no thats cool. If we all did what was sensible, followed suit or 'safe' it would be a pretty boring place!!! You might want to get a couple of barrels done tho!! :blink:

Hell, they make new barrels every day!

To be fair, the rifle will probably fire a couple of hundred rounds a year, so it should last 5 or ten years with care.

Anyhow, if no-one pushed the boundaries a little, we'd still be shooting black powder!

Should be an interesting project.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine just had a 20x47SM built on an RPA Quadlite. Has a 1in8 twist Pacnor and shoots 1/4moa with a 50gr Berger at 4000fps.

It is awesome! would have one but already have a 20BR so shan't bother until the next re-bbl.

Down side is SM brass is excellent but is expensive and not always available.

If you keep the velocity on the 50gr to 4000fps and no more, although I don't think it will be kind on bbl's will last about the same as a 220 Swift. If you have a Ferrari your gonna burn tyres.

The terminal affect on bunnies etc is particularly spectacular. if you want a very flat shooting exterminator this is the one. Enjoy. :lol:

Friend of mine just had a 20x47SM built on an RPA Quadlite. Has a 1in8 twist Pacnor and shoots 1/4moa with a 50gr Berger at 4000fps.

It is awesome! would have one but already have a 20BR so shan't bother until the next re-bbl.

Down side is SM brass is excellent but is expensive and not always available.

If you keep the velocity on the 50gr to 4000fps and no more, although I don't think it will be kind on bbl's will last about the same as a 220 Swift. If you have a Ferrari your gonna burn tyres.

The terminal affect on bunnies etc is particularly spectacular. if you want a very flat shooting exterminator this is the one. Enjoy. :lol:

Your 20BR should do 3800 fps with 50 grs and 4000fps with 39 gr SBKs. I am looking at doing a 20BR, are you having brass probs with it?. What are you getting out of a barrel at present roundwise?. The downside of that extra speed is more powder, higher recoil and maybe not seeing the end result unless the rifle is pretty heavy.

Thanks

A

Archived