Alternatives to sand for rear bags?

Anyone got any alternatives to sand for filling bags that are easy to get hold of? I have a couple of rear bags I want to try but I hate using sand as it always escapes out the seams no matter what type i use.

Try the small poly chips that fill bean bags - they can be found on most "tat" markets and are excellent for a carry round rear bag, lightweight but relatively stable if packed in tight.

As long as you keep them dry rice or lentils are good. They weigh less than sand aswell.

Cheers

Dave

Ditto

Have found lentils to be the best and the cheapest. Just buy a huge bag from any of the indian wholesale outlets.

I been lookin into this a bit and most of the boys stateside use polycarbonate beads the gritty kind of thing you can feel in one of those beany type teddies the kids have are the best but where you can get it from...... well I'm still lookin. A guy is sending me a bag and if I have any spare am happy to share but I think there micro poly beads and I aint sure if they'll work but hey iuts worth ago.

OA

thanks for the tips guys, Dave the lentils worked great filled a bag up today, fantastic job.

Happy xmas to you too Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys.. After reading this thread i thought i'd empty the sand from my rear bag and try polystyrene balls instead... Wish i hadn't bothered... :rolleyes:

The only poly balls i have are those in the dogs bed.....

I didn't realise when opening the zip on my Labs bed that the balls would be electro statically charged.. Using a funnel i couldn't get those blighters in the rest. In frustration i accidently kicked the bed.... Damn balls all over the kitchen!!

So be warned intrepid seekers of the ideal rear rest bag.... Dont use poly balls... :angry:

I'm off to sainsburys for lentils.......

Hi guys... Lentils purchased on saturday, i thought i'd do the deed whilst the mrs was watching some ole cobblers on the box.

Mission 1... Open both lentil bags without spilling contents on kitchen floor....

Failed miserably :rolleyes: stiff plastic bags and i dont get on.. F*****G lentils allover the damn floor and worktop.. My Lab at this point thinks i'm playing a game and wants to join in. My kitchen floor is a slippy lino affair. Add one dozy dog and a load of spilt lentils... Well i'll let you imagine what the scene was like..

Mission 2... Get lentils into rear rest bag via funnel... Without spilling any.. :rolleyes: Yeah like that was gonna happen !

Filled funnel with lentils ( split orange jobbies )...

Buggers wont go down without agitating funnel... More mess.. By now my kitchen is looking a lentil grenade just went off.. :angry:

Mission 3... Seperate dog/cat hair from spilt lentils so's i dont have to go back to Sainsburys for another bag to top up with after pummeling bag so lentils settle in rabbit ears.

Mission Accomplished.. Rest full of Lentils... Def lighter than it was when i had sand in it but the true test will be when i take it down the range. When i had sand in it, i would have to maintain a fair amount of finger pressure on the rabbit ears prior to releasing the shot. After 5 or 6 shots my fingers and thumb would ache. The lentils are more manouvarable than sand so this effect should be diminished somewhat..

All i gotta remember now is not to let it get wet. Dont fancy taking home curry in a bag... :D

Grant...

... More mess.. By now my kitchen is looking a lentil grenade just went off.. ;)

Grant...

;):lol::D:lol: My sides are hurting I'm laughing so much.

Still waitin on the polybeads from state side, another week and I don't think they will have made it past the GPO seasonal staff!!

Brings back memories ;) Whilst night lambing few years ago, bored and looking for something to do i filled a rear bag with wheat using a cut bullet case as funnel ;):lol::D took ages . but done the job well :lol::lol: Thinking at £160 a ton might be worth emtying back out :lol:

Ive just caught up with this post and the fekin tears are running down my face!!! Streaker you and me must have the same fate in life!! Im going to empty whats left of the sand from my bags and go with the lentils and lets not hope the grenade goes of in my kitchen as the pup will have a field trying to fetch them to me like she does with the wee bits of coal!!!!

If you go the lentil route get your lentils from the local indian grocer, you get 4 times as much for half the price and they are smaller.

Ian.

Ditto

Have found lentils to be the best and the cheapest. Just buy a huge bag from any of the indian wholesale outlets.

Ian

Told you so! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived