AE MRK 111 OR CUSTOM BUILD

gunnery

its all about getting the colour right!

They are stupidly accurate from what I've read produce very tight groups but its still a standard remington action with lots of attention to detail. Agreed on the colour, there is somthing very cool about them :rolleyes: . Wonder how much it would cost and if its even possible to import one.

Bet you could get 2 AW for the total price. But a near identical build (not a copy obviously), that would be interesting. Whats the coating on the stock?

Dan

The coating is by a company called Birdsong, if you want a coating done in this finish, the rifle goes to them to have it applied - there is no agent or aftermarket finisher who does it. By the way the coating is called Green T and Black T.

The Tac Ops rifles are renouned for their accuracy, they look very well and ive admired them for years.

I suppose it would be like ordering a tac rifle from any riflesmith equipped to do a blueprint and build.

You could easily re-create a Tango 51, the only thing you need is someone to replicate the colour and a Mcmillan Sako Varmint stock inletted for a Rem 700.

The rest is relatively easy... :D

one of the proplems with a fully blueprinted action lets say with a new custom precision bolt fitted is the cost is more than a custom action so most gunsmith then tell you go the custom action route if you say no i want a fully custom no short cut remy action all singing all danceing rifle you end up with a very accurate rifle like the links to this topic are showing and you end up being very proud of the end product but lets not forget it is still a remy if you ever decide to sell and i am sure that is what you will be hit with regardless how good it looks and shoots.

Those rifles would be simplicity itself to replicate...including the finishes and the stippling.

Very "old school".

I think its just epoxy resin thats textured. Ive seen instructions on a US site that you put epoxy on the stock and use a tounge deppresser to texture it by tapping the resin

I would imagine that build spec cost would exceed the cost of an AI by some margin . Cool as a snowmans a**e though. I doubt if it would be as rugged a rifle as the AIAW ??

probably not as rugged your right but does it REALLY need to be ? if my rifle breaks down i use another one or just lose the comp ? neither of which will result in my death or maiming unlike if an operational guys weapon fails ?

i have no desire to look like a wanna be sniper, i'm not one nor ever have been.

my 308 in an A5 has been dropped , fell on (i'm no lightweight!) dragged through burns , rained on , snowed on and all the other crap you get on the hill after hinds but so far it has never let me down? (i love that rifle :wub: )

Forget the Tango 51 , as you guys live in the UK , IF you want neat OLD school you should be hunting down a Parker Hale M85 or M86/87 , my two favourite 308 cal rifles are the AW & M85 , WHY , because they Bl%$dy work as advertised .

Later Chris

P.S. I am waiting on a Armalon 308 barrel ( they use the ex-Parker Hale machines ) , to finish off my Parker Hale M87/C3A1 build , the ONLY 2 outstanding pieces , are the barrel & the McM A2 stock .Thats an exciting build , that has taken YEARS , to piece together , as I have wanted to use 100% original parts IF I can ( thats because I'm an Old Stuborn Bast#$d ) .

Tackb correct me if i am wrong but like you i have no wish to be a sniper or drive over my rifle with a tank thats why i thought the AE MK 111 made more sence to me same bolt same accuracy same stock same action as AW but less money when you compare the price of AE to a custom build no difference and if you choose later to change onto a different calibre barrel cost seems cheaper on AE than a custom plus to change barrel you dont need a smith but you do need the tools.i am not saying there for buy a AI i am taking everything into account and trying like us all to buy right as the saying go

You can change the barrel on a custom built rifle easier and cheaper than you can on an AW/AE Barry. The AI kit requires selling a kidney to buy, much like the rifles.

Go for a custom action with a fixed or pinned lug, and a davidson or similar barrel vice, and it takes minutes.

ya take your point dave but when i have asked for a custom build it as always worked out more expensive than a AE ie custom action barrel trueflight archer etc stock manners A1 screwcut 10 d/m bedded trigger jewel etc when you compare to a A1 the A1 price seems reasonable.

Tackb correct me if i am wrong but like you i have no wish to be a sniper or drive over my rifle with a tank thats why i thought the AE MK 111 made more sence to me same bolt same accuracy same stock same action as AW but less money when you compare the price of AE to a custom build no difference and if you choose later to change onto a different calibre barrel cost seems cheaper on AE than a custom plus to change barrel you dont need a smith but you do need the tools.i am not saying there for buy a AI i am taking everything into account and trying like us all to buy right as the saying go

the answer for you is to buy one of AI's splendid products , reading your posts it strikes me that you are already pretty much sold on the accuracy international kit ? they are not bad kit in fact they are splendid so go on out and get one.

you donot need the offical AI barrel kit , get the one from Graeme at a fraction of the AI price or one from the USA .

anything with a seperate lug is more drama than a AW/Badger/Surgeon as these have no washer/lug that can shift while removing barrel etc .

Later Chris

:unsure::rolleyes:

I guess this has been asked before! prob loads of times! but what is the difference between a AE and a AW??? coz apart from the shape of the reciever i cant see anything else, apart from the price!

Ive just had a quote for a AE,option 3,in 6.5x47 with lastest brake,for almost the same as a custom Barnard,

The one thing holding me back is will i regret the AE and always think ive taken the cheap option!!! and wish i'd gone for a AW?

Any thoughts guys???

It's a different action; but same bolt and safety etc. The action isn't glued to the chassis. It takes the AICS single stack magazines.

In hard sporting use I don't think you'd ever notice a difference between the new AE and the AW.

I'd happily get a mk3 (but I wouldn't have said that about the mk1).

Would you regret it vs an AW?

I think the only thing you'd notice over a lifetime of use is the fact that you're using a different mag.

Other than that it's just a mental thing - & only you can decide if it'd bother you! :)

• 3 weeks later...

had the same problem in jan this year had a sako 75 in 6.5x55 but wanted to go longer range so went for a ae mk 3 in 260 26" fluted barrel one piece mount fixed stock just under 3k and took 4 months to come but well worth the wait

Hi Jimmer are you made up with it

yes just put viperskins on it a different animal and just shot a hare at 350mtrs first shot with great confidence in it with a custom build i didnt know what twist or barrel length so a stock rifle which are tried and tested was the only way forward

• 2 weeks later...

In some ways I see custom as a compromise , not in the overal mix & match spec or cals , BUT in the single fact that the rifle is NOT designed and made completely my the one company ( in this its no compromise , as they are not relying on some one to make something close or similar too what they want or need ) , for a more unified approach if that makes sense .

In most cases , its just the cal that people want different , and really thats just a quick barrel change & not a complete custom build etc .

later Chris

Barry, Just go onto sporting services web site and have look at the vids of them changing a barrel????

10mins and the job is a good one???.

There is a big differance between the ae and the aw??, all in the way that the action is bonded to the frame, (NO BOLTS AND NO CHANCE OF MOVEMOUNT AND NO NEED FOR BEDDING)

Have a look at the way a lot of bench guns are setup, some of the best are bonded in the stock and not bedded,,,

I can only speak about the AW that i bought of Ronin on this site,, you can take the scope of and put it bak on and still have your zero,,

Take the barrel off and put it back on and still you will have your zero,,

This in my mined is what you are paying your money for,,,

Cry once, then go and enjoy the rifle,,,,

I know that they are not every ones cup of tea,,, but believe me they do do what it says on the tin ;)

All the best, Darrel

Archived