We need to vote on this!

264wm

Please join over 700 shooters and anglers to vote NO in a web poll against proposals to give protectionists the power to ban shooting and angling in every estuary, river and lake in Northern Ireland.

http://www.nimtf.org/'>http://www.nimtf.org/

There is a web poll running on the NI Marine Task Force website which gives visitors the option to vote in support of its work on the Marine Bill. In light of the threats to country sports identified in the Bill please visit the site and vote NO. This will send an important message not only to the task force but to civil servants and political representatives in NI that a Marine Bill has to consider people's needs as well as those of wildlife.

The RSPB, Wildlife Trusts and others have reacted to our vote NO campaign by starting a vote YES campaign. We are losing ground. The web poll will only allow one vote from your internet provider’s address. Ulster Wildlife Trust is encouraging voters to bypass this and register multiple votes via other computers, mobile phones and other internet accessible devices.

Next week, BASC and Countryside Alliance are scheduled to give evidence to the NI Environment Committee about our concerns and this web poll will be referred to so it is crucial that the vote remains firmly in our favour.

We expect to be called to evidence on Thursday so please email as many people as you can to ask them to visit the Marine Task Force website and vote NO before then. Please also post threads on shooting or angling forums you are members of, if they haven’t had this topic covered.

BASC's website has been updated today, but it will be your support by spreading the word on email and on forums that will make the difference in keeping the NO vote ahead.

The Marine Task Force consists of RSPB, Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, National Trust, Wildlife Trusts and others. Put simply they want legal powers to be put in place in NI to ban shooting and angling in every estuary, river and lake in Northern Ireland. Their web poll was meant to show widespread support for the content of a draft Marine Bill that they heavily influenced. Two weeks ago support was running at 97% until BASC and Countryside Alliance started to campaign for a NO vote. Support collapsed and the marine force partners were in shock. They called a meeting with BASC and Countryside Alliance. They wanted us to drop our campaign for a NO vote on their web poll. We asked them to support our amendments to the draft Marine Bill. They refused. So we said we weren’t dropping our joint campaign. Then the vote YES campaign started.

The web poll will only allow one vote from your internet provider’s address. Ulster Wildlife Trust is encouraging voters to bypass this and register multiple votes via other computers, mobile phones and other internet accessible devices.

The world has changed. The UK protectionist organisations do not have the government support they used to have. But we have to make our voice heard. Looking at the big picture this may appear to be a small battle, but if we win it, it will motivate further battles and more wins.

Please do please email as many people as you can to ask them to visit the Marine Task Force website and vote NO.

http://www.nimtf.org/

I've just voted (twice..) and have fwd'd to influential guys here in NZ and suggested they distribute widely.

You'll DEF get some support here to give the crazies a kicking

ATB

Chris-NZ

Done, although I had to paste the link in my browser. It told me I had already voted?

The vote is in the botom left hand corner of the page.

It's rather a convoluted site - only really gives you scope to support them.

The list of "supporters" is no surprise.

Where are you getting your information from? Can you post links to your source?

The majority of the people that have proposed this marine bill are genuinely trying to protect what is left of our delicate marine and estuary biodiversity.

(this is a marine project, i have found no reference to rivers and lakes in any marine bill literature!) This environment is genuinely under threat from a wide range of modern human activities, shooting and fishing are waaaay down on the list. The more important issues they are rightly shouting about are industrial pollutants, proposed hydro schemes, commercial fishing malpractice, nitrate runoff and all sorts of other far more serious issues than people wildfowling and fishing.

Call me a tree hugger, but i will willingly change my shooting and fishing venues if it were demonstrated that my presence was causing distress to any threatened species. Wouldn't you?

This nonsense is a knee jerk reaction to some radical greeny faction within the conservation bodies overstepping the mark. It is right that they are being opposed but not without considering all the facts and acting with integrity.

The conservation groups efforts could result in some very useful legislation being passed to help protect some extremely threatened habitats.

Please keep an open and well informed mind.

Rup

To put the thread starters post in perspective, this is all BASC have to say on the matter and its not even a headline!!!

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/pressreleases.cfm/prid/2F061EA3-5123-4E70-9EB9F473FAE64B99

I missed clause 24(2) when i read through the document. Good job someone else didn't.

I apologise for stirring things up!

I will make good elsewhere!

Please take note that BASC are on the whole in favour of what the Marine Bill stands for, a fact that's been lost along the way and probably not what many on here would want to hear.

I feel that pointing us to the actual statement would have had a more profound effect than the provocative hype that we were actually fed.

Rup

Archived