.17 Rem Fireball users with R700 take note

Guest richness

Guest richness

th_06c01634.jpg

This is a video of my testing 20gr Vmax in my factory-barreled R700

I've said before that the peak accuracy with all my various load testing with 25gr Vmax and 30gr Bergers was never better than about .45MOA. Whatever the powder, seating etc it just couldn't do better and i thought that was the limit of the barrel.

I wanted to test 20gr Vmax and am a big fan of doing seating depth first. On discussion with Si-snipe, we were both impressed by some photos on snipershide showing the OCW process, starting by working out the most stable POI within the weight charge range, even if it is not the most accurate, then doing seating to fine tune.

I thought i'd give it a go and you can clearly see the shifting POI as i go up the powder charge on this video.

As it turns out, i stumbled across a much better load than I had hoped for, so there's two messages really:

1) give OCW a go as it might lead to a load that is more stable with temperature increase

2) if you have a stock Remington 700 fireball, try the 20gr Vmax first as i have them twice as tight as anything else. FYI my seating is 1.491" to the ogive which is 1.808" give or take a thou or two

Cheers, Richard

hi richard,

very interesting post,

i've always used the optimal charge weight method since starting home loading 9 yrs ago, with good results and usually not having to adjust seating depth

like you i still havn't found a good recipe for the 25gr bullets as my pac nor is a 10 twist,

however i can get 1/2'' groups with berger 30gr match varmint hollow points.

but as you have also found , by far the most accurate rounds are the 20gr v-max,

my pet load is 18.2g of H322, O.A.L 1.540 to ogive using cci BR4 primers, these will cloverleaf at 100yrds

cheers jock

get some benchmark powder-save some time buggerin about,i too was chasing acceptable accuracy with my fb i wanted to shoot 25gn berger mef which i have a fair few,i joined the "saubier forums"and got a lot of good info from a guy called A.B.BENTLEY he suggested switching to benchmark so i did-it was like a dark cloud had lifted!it also shoots 20vmax with very good accuracy.

hi gary,

had some benchmark test loads knocked up for about 3 weeks now, but either havn't had time or the weathers been crap to try them, does't look like weathers going to be any good this weekend either. :mad:

are you shooting the 25 gr through a 9 or 10 twist?

cheers jock

hi gary,

had some benchmark test loads knocked up for about 3 weeks now, but either havn't had time or the weathers been crap to try them, does't look like weathers going to be any good this weekend either. :mad:

are you shooting the 25 gr through a 9 or 10 twist?

cheers jock

JOCK-mines a cooper 10twist.hope the weather lifts for us all.

th_06c01634.jpg

This is a video of my testing 20gr Vmax in my factory-barreled R700

I've said before that the peak accuracy with all my various load testing with 25gr Vmax and 30gr Bergers was never better than about .45MOA. Whatever the powder, seating etc it just couldn't do better and i thought that was the limit of the barrel.

I wanted to test 20gr Vmax and am a big fan of doing seating depth first. On discussion with Si-snipe, we were both impressed by some photos on snipershide showing the OCW process, starting by working out the most stable POI within the weight charge range, even if it is not the most accurate, then doing seating to fine tune.

I thought i'd give it a go and you can clearly see the shifting POI as i go up the powder charge on this video.

As it turns out, i stumbled across a much better load than I had hoped for, so there's two messages really:

1) give OCW a go as it might lead to a load that is more stable with temperature increase

2) if you have a stock Remington 700 fireball, try the 20gr Vmax first as i have them twice as tight as anything else. FYI my seating is 1.491" to the ogive which is 1.808" give or take a thou or two

Cheers, Richard

Great post Richard. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Great video, I will be using the same method once my 17 Rem is back from the smith. Where did you get hold of the target as a matter of interest?

Atb Toby

Hi Toby

I don't know where Rich got that target but I think this is one of the best especially for OCW as the small centre dot allows for accurate point of aim every time.

http://www.protargets.com/targets/dots-12.gif

Archived