Hornady .17 Hornet

The one thing putting everyone I've spoken to off this little calibre is the only rifle maker offering is the vastly overpriced Savage :unsure:

Rumour has it that CZ will be chambering 17H rifles in the very near future and could possibly be available around Autumn or possibly towards the end of the year :)

An interesting side note to the 17 Hornady. I was in the city at one of the larger retailers and was told that one fellow who had ordered a Cooper Varminter through their shop in the 17H was selling it due to the quality of the brass. He bought factory ammo and has gotten about 20% splitting in the necks and some of the undamaged brass he tried to resize refused the process leaving the bullet loose in the case.

Hornady has apparently been cutting some corners with the annealing process of their HMR brass evidenced by all the reports of split necks surfacing. I wonder if it has carried over to this new cartridge?~Andrew

The problem with Hmr is due to the cases requiring priming BEFORE necking down and annealing being impossible after priming compound is present. Centrefire cases will not have this particular problem.

The problem with Hmr is due to the cases requiring priming BEFORE necking down and annealing being impossible after priming compound is present. Centrefire cases will not have this particular problem.

Yeah. No one says that the cases are annealed after priming. After the final drawing the cases should be annealed and cleaned. After priming they are sized.

No matter how it is done, it begs the questioning of what they are not doing now with the annealing process (or the brass quality) that they were doing in the previous years? For the last year or so there has been a rash of 17HMR split necks -found both in loaded ammo and in fired cases- that rarely surfaced in the years previous. Something has changed.

Anyhow, just thought I'd pass that tid-bit about the ammo on. Could have been a freak LOT. Might be systemic. Time will tell.~Andrew

An interesting side note to the 17 Hornady. I was in the city at one of the larger retailers and was told that one fellow who had ordered a Cooper Varminter through their shop in the 17H was selling it due to the quality of the brass. He bought factory ammo and has gotten about 20% splitting in the necks and some of the undamaged brass he tried to resize refused the process leaving the bullet loose in the case.

Hornady has apparently been cutting some corners with the annealing process of their HMR brass evidenced by all the reports of split necks surfacing. I wonder if it has carried over to this new cartridge?~Andrew

Annealing this case is vital, mine had an issue with neck splits, I annealed and have not lost one. Factory ammo splitting, well I guess they dont want people reloading it but I am sure that a mail to Hornady wont do any harm in the longer term.

A

i bought a .17hmr a few years ago thought it was a brilliant little bunny/crow basher untill i shot it in the wind .20tac all the time for me

I saw 17hm2 ammo yesterday from Hornady, that had case splits running the full length of the LOADED round. Only reason the guy spotted them, was that he had one squib and put a bullet just into the rifling. The next round wouldn,t quite close......

Lucky for him.

I saw 17hm2 ammo yesterday from Hornady, that had case splits running the full length of the LOADED round. Only reason the guy spotted them, was that he had one squib and put a bullet just into the rifling. The next round wouldn,t quite close......

Lucky for him.

The very same thing has happened to me and a friend with our HMRs, (an Anschutz and a CZ, I was using Remington branded ammo, not sure about him) on closer inspection the case neck (only the neck) had a split in it and the powder was "clumped" together in the case. In both cases the bullet was only just in the lands and the second round would not chamber, it was jammed in pretty tight though.

I fancy a 17 centerfire, I love the HMR for being relatively quiet, cheap, easy (no handloading, though I do handload), and relatively safe from a ricochet POV, is the noise of a well moderated centerfire .17 centerfire more like a HMR or more comparable to a 223?

What are the pros and cons of 17 Hornady (assuming rifles become more available or I could justify a custom build) V 17 Remington Fireball V 17 Remington? or do they have no advantages compared to a 204? The 204 seems to have a much better selection of rifles available. I'm primarily using it to headshoot rabbits for meat and plinking.

Hi Gareth,

As you know my experiences and situation over here, is there any advantages of a 17 over a 204? I'd say there is none.

I'd say the original 17 rem does all that the fireball does but better, ok it uses abit more powder to achieve it but hey, who cares. All the reports of barrel wear is nonesence, As long as you look after it. Modern barrels, materials, and powder have come a very long way.

As for the .17 Rem having any advantages over a 204, apart from using a bit less power again I don't think there is any, the 204 or 20 cal's do everything the 17 Rem does but again.... Better. Unless you really want a .17 cal then go for it as I nearly did, but I chose to go down the 204 route instead and they are ballisticly better, more components for reloading readily available, more choise of rifles etc.

However the 17's are a exciting to so......

Steve.

Lucky for him.

A friend showed me a box of M2 in the same state asking me if it was still OK to shoot. I told him to take it back to the shop. I never heard what actions were taken.

The tough thing about HMR/M2 (and the 5mm Remington) is that it's all from the same plant so you're at their feet when it comes to quality. When it's good, you're golden. When it's bad you're done until you can scrounge a new LOT.~Andrew

As for the .17 Rem having any advantages over a 204, apart from using a bit less power again I don't think there is any, the 204 or 20 cal's do everything the 17 Rem does but again.... Better. Unless you really want a .17 cal then go for it as I nearly did, but I chose to go down the 204 route instead and they are ballisticly better, more components for reloading readily available, more choise of rifles etc.

Thanks Steve,

Of course the bigger caliber will have ballistic advantages, and there are practical ones too. On the other side of the argument there are possible legal considerations (my force doesn't issue the lesser quarry condition, but 204 would probably be ok), noise and safety. I dont shoot on an empty hill and when I shoot a 243, or a 223 even, I know I'm causing some noise disruption, a .20 has 23% more frontal area than a .17, which will generate a bigger sonic boom, but what's the practical difference? I want a bullet that I know is going to fragment as reliably as possible. I don't think grassy banks are necessarily the reliable bullet catchers some people seem to assume they are. I'm not sure the .17 "wins" here, but the bullet is lighter and so retains less energy downrange...

I need to shoot next to someone shooting a 17 centerfire and see how loud it is, I suspect the real answer is that my HMR is doing great and I should shut up and keep shooting it! :)

I need to shoot next to someone shooting a 17 centerfire and see how loud it is, I suspect the real answer is that my HMR is doing great and I should shut up and keep shooting it! :)

Dogge,

my 17 f/b is as quiet if not quieter than my mates (Gaz, member on here) hmr, mine has a pes 17 cal scout and his hmr has a sak mod

cheers jock

ps my mod hasn,t caught fire, unlike gaz's sak :lol: :lol: :lol:

• 1 month later...

Rifles will be available from about september. But only savage and only three different models a synthetic blue, Laminate blue and a thumbhole laminate blue as far as i can remember.

Cheers sean

Rifles will be available from about september. But only savage and only three different models a synthetic blue, Laminate blue and a thumbhole laminate blue as far as i can remember.

Cheers sean

My bet is that Ruger will follow soon.~Andrew

• 8 months later...

Savage Arms

Has anyone tried to buy magazines for the Savage .17 hornet? I've had some on order since March 2012 and yes it's a year ago and I can't get any.

Does anyone know where I might get just one magazine to get me by? I've tried Edgar Brothers and they don't have any. I've tried Savage in the states and they tell me they are on back order. I've tried a number of gun shops here and they only have those which are on their rifles on display and understandably they refuse to sell those, because they don't know when they will have anymore in.

I think the rifle is great. I agree with the comments I've read that the bolt could have been of a better design and the magazine fitting has a bit of a cheap feel about it. However, there is nothing cheep about the way it shoots.

Anyway, I can't believe that a consumable as important as a magazine is in such short supply. Someone Help Please!!!

Savage Arms

Has anyone tried to buy magazines for the Savage .17 hornet? I've had some on order since March 2012 and yes it's a year ago and I can't get any.

Does anyone know where I might get just one magazine to get me by? I've tried Edgar Brothers and they don't have any. I've tried Savage in the states and they tell me they are on back order. I've tried a number of gun shops here and they only have those which are on their rifles on display and understandably they refuse to sell those, because they don't know when they will have anymore in.

I think the rifle is great. I agree with the comments I've read that the bolt could have been of a better design and the magazine fitting has a bit of a cheap feel about it. However, there is nothing cheep about the way it shoots.

Anyway, I can't believe that a consumable as important as a magazine is in such short supply. Someone Help Please!!!

Hi,

I've put in a request to my purchasing agent in the US about the availability of these mags. If readily available I will get a price and organize a group buy on UKV, please watch this space,

Alan

Archived