f918959a.jpg

6.5x47 (now sold to fund 284)

Printed R700

Trueflite 29" ultramatch 1/8

PES LMC mod

IOR 9-36x56

B&C tactical stock

RB BR trigger

Hundreds of 450y+ rabbits, a few dozen over 700y, nothing in the 800s but a 962y rabbit (first shot)

Only putting the long kills in due to feeling inferior as there are so many rifles here so much smarter than mine! But they don't have to be pretty to be accurate... ;)

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

c8e13dee.jpg

RPA quad lite single shot in 204ruger

Pacnor 1/12 fluted

IOR 4-28x56

DM80 mod

Further shot a little over 600y

Most vermin taken under 500y though. Dozens of 400y +

239f7211.jpg

Rimfire magic s/a 22lr

Choate stock

Green Mountain barrel

S&B shown but now sporting lovely old 1" Elite 4200 4-16x50

DM80 mod

459dccee.jpg

Remington 700 in .17 Fireball

Elite 4200 6-24x40

Now in Hogue stock

Jewell trigger

DM80 mod

Taken a good few 350y rabbits

f918959a.jpg

6.5x47 (now sold to fund 284)

Printed R700

Trueflite 29" ultramatch 1/8

PES LMC mod

IOR 9-36x56

B&C tactical stock

RB BR trigger

Hundreds of 600y+ rabbits, a few dozen over 700y, nothing in the 800s but a 962y rabbit (first shot)

Only putting the long kills in due to feeling inferior as there are so many rifles here so much smarter than mine! But they don't have to be pretty to be accurate... ;)

Jeez i want that scope on that top rifle !!

Guest richness

Thanks Matt. Yes it has been a wonderful scope and I got it when they were a great price. It doesn't have all the modern sexy laser etching and fancy laminated manuals and stylish boxes (in fact the manual is folded in half and then stapled...) but by god the glass is good and the turrets flawless, plus I like the MP8 ret just 100%. I think when IOR get their marketing and general "bling" in order they will become real expensive, so I'm double chuffed to have got in on the ground floor, as it were.

Took me bloody years of buying, selling and general scheming and saving to get my two IORs but it was worth it in the end. It was before the Sightron S3 "movement" and if it weren't for IOR I'd likely be shooting one of them.

What are you running at the moment?

ATB Rich

Thanks Matt. Yes it has been a wonderful scope and I got it when they were a great price. It doesn't have all the modern sexy laser etching and fancy laminated manuals and stylish boxes (in fact the manual is folded in half and then stapled...) but by god the glass is good and the turrets flawless, plus I like the MP8 ret just 100%. I think when IOR get their marketing and general "bling" in order they will become real expensive, so I'm double chuffed to have got in on the ground floor, as it were.

Took me bloody years of buying, selling and general scheming and saving to get my two IORs but it was worth it in the end. It was before the Sightron S3 "movement" and if it weren't for IOR I'd likely be shooting one of them.

What are you running at the moment?

ATB Rich

Hello !!

Funny you mention the " Sightron's " they are on my hit list , it will be between either a secondhand Nightforce , IOR ( someone not far from is hoping to import them ) and the Sightron .

I have a 8x56 S&B at the moment , I used to havce a early PM2 Double turn which i sold stupidly when i got out of rifle shooting for a while . Knowing what i do know i never would have . Although i did find the " Mildot " reticle a little on the chunky side and the fact it only zoomed to " 12 " power seemed to be a little under powered for 1000m targets... Mind you it was a beutifull scope in every other way !!!

Is there anything i should be aware of when looking at a IOR ???

Matt.

Guest richness

Hello !!

Funny you mention the " Sightron's " they are on my hit list , it will be between either a secondhand Nightforce , IOR ( someone not far from is hoping to import them ) and the Sightron .

I have a 8x56 S&B at the moment , I used to havce a early PM2 Double turn which i sold stupidly when i got out of rifle shooting for a while . Knowing what i do know i never would have . Although i did find the " Mildot " reticle a little on the chunky side and the fact it only zoomed to " 12 " power seemed to be a little under powered for 1000m targets... Mind you it was a beutifull scope in every other way !!!

Is there anything i should be aware of when looking at a IOR ???

Matt.

Hiya mate. Well you won't go wrong with second hand Nightforce, IOR or Sightron S3

Coupla things i'd throw in: remember the BR model when looking at the Nightforces; they are just as good if not better optically, plus cheaper.

Then secondly, IORs brilliant but there's no doubt in my mind that there are some flaky seconds bouncing around Europe. My suspicion is that someone is selling scopes that didn't pass QC out the back door but one way or another and whatever the reason, I have personally seen a few that were not good enough. Now I have two IORs and recommend them most highly but be v careful who you are buying them from.

I remember once being contacted by Nightforce who were interested in a scope I was selling on ebay as it turned out to be a rather excellent fake - big scope companies are RED HOT on quality control and counterfeiting as just few hooky items can ruin a company's reputation for quality. They were very cool and honest with me and I was impressed by them.

If you are looking at 6-24, then i'd add to the list the brilliant old 30mm Swaro 6-24x50 PV/PH with the 1/6th turrets. Best optics I ever saw.

Cheers, Rich :)

rich how do you find the image on the 4-28 when the mag is wound up cos it's the scope I was hoping to put on a new 6-284 I've just had built but I've spoke to Lee at border who has some in stock but has warned me about an image cropping issue when on high mag ! says the glass is fine but it's an inherent issue which can be disstracting , how do you rate yours ?

I've a 10x56 on my fireball and love it to bits and was hoping to put this one on the 284 but lee has got me worried...

Guest richness

Lee's dead straight about it. Didn't worry me a jot when I saw it though. Happens on a lot of euro scopes actually. What it is is what the Americans call tunnelling. Go below about 6x you see the inside of the tube like a tunnel ( not on high mag just lowest). My Swaro 4-16 did it too

cheers for that rich it's kinda put my mind to rest mate , how do you rate it otherwise ,ie glass , tracking etc and it's a Sako 85 action it will be going on so what mount options are there do you think ! cheers again mate thank you

Guest richness

cheers for that rich it's kinda put my mind to rest mate , how do you rate it otherwise ,ie glass , tracking etc and it's a Sako 85 action it will be going on so what mount options are there do you think ! cheers again mate thank you

It's world class, optically. The turrets are bloody marvellous in that you've got huge turrets allowing for something like 25moa per turn and you can dial 8moa left on before you hit the opposite numbering, and are utterly repeatable - eg i trust it to be dead on every time coming down from Eg 12moa to 2 and going from 6mins wind one way to 6mins the other, all day long. The ret is IMO just about perfect whatever you wish to use it for. The finish is nothing short of ropey; the smart laser etching on other scopes look like they've been applied with tippex on these but that's honestly the only fault I can find and mine have had some serious use.

Returning to the glass, i've compared these directly to swaro, S&B 5-25 and 12-50, NXS etc. Optically, there's no doubt in my mind that these are a killer bargain; they give up nothing to the best of the best. I think that the 4-28 with its 40mm tube is even bigger and brighter than the other high mag IORs too. The downside is simply that it is really more like a 5.5-28 than a 4-28 as you don't get any more FOV from about 5.5 down to 4 - you just see more tube/tunnel. No biggy though.

Mount wise, you're running 40mm rings from IOR and that's your lot IIRC, and they are picatinny only (which are wider than weaver) so you'd need a picatinny rail on your rifle mate.

I honestly think it's as good a scope as the S&B 5-25 which are twice as much

HTH

• 3 weeks later...

One of mine, out for a spin today and snapped a pic.

Winchester M70 Stealth .223

1:9 twist

HS Precision stock

Talley Mfg rings and bases

Leupold Competion scope 35X

Keplinger single set trigger

223-primer-test-002-L.jpg

A bit old school, but still in play.

Unmodified Steyr SSG 69, double set trigger

Talley Mfg 30mm ringmounts

Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50 TMR

DSC03699-L.jpg

Here's mine,put together by Neil Mckillop.

20120526_103924.jpg

6.5x47lapua. Lawton action, 30"bartlien, heavy varmint barrel, Manners T4a,

20120526_104005.jpg

Very first group shot with it after break in. Using 140 amax.

20120528_204133.jpg

Something tells me even I might hit something with this one. Cheers Neil, I've got no excuse now :D

Guest richness

That's a beaut Rabbit Fingers :) Those 140gr amax are seriously useful if you get the speed up there - v exciting rifle that. Hope to see it next week in the flesh! I won't quite have my 284 built so i'll have to mop up with the 204 while you guys have the long range fun :)

Cheers, Rich

Here's mine:

custom_remington_700__laminate_stock__bushnell_tactical__reflex_t8__harris_bipod_01.jpg

custom_remington_700__laminate_stock__bushnell_tactical__reflex_t8__harris_bipod_02.jpg

Remington 700, .243, 20" Varmint Barrel, Custom Bolt Knob, Custom Rail, Reflex T8 Suppressor (all Duracoated in matte black)

Bushnell, Elite 6500, 4.5-30 x 50, Mildot, Tactical Turrets, Custom Sunshade

Boyds Laminate Thumbhole Stock, just finished glass bedding with Devcon, trying it out tomorrow. I have high hopes as it already shot tight groups with the plastic crap it came in (having had the metalwork fettled by Monsieur Baldie).

Still to come when funds allow:

New trigger, undecided.

Magazine conversion

Pod Claws - Available in the UK yet?

Cheers,

Arell

Here is my 17 remington. Tikka m595 action reblacked. Shilen 10 twist fluted barrel. Bedded into a mcmillan stock. Burris weaver bases. Tps rings.

Zeiss conquest 4.5x14x50 zplex scope. Ase cqb mod. Superbly accurate vermin and fox rifle

040.jpg

My other rifle is a rpa 22/250 quadlite. 10 shot mag. Interceptor stock. 12 twist lother barrel. Weaver bases. Tps rings.

Zeiss victory 6x24x56 ir mildot scope. Ase cqb mod. again superbly accurate foxing, munty, and vermin rifle

DSC02076.jpg

I will also have a slot for a 6mm when my ticket comes back from being renewed and keep looking at a 8 twist 6br.

So I can have some long range fun with 105 amax. Another rpa would be nice. i just really like there accuracy, trigger and interceptor stock is nice to use. hard to find a rifle with a good stock for left and right handed shooter to use.

My first long range V rifle - it's a Tikka M558, bedded, blueprinted action and benifits from a Shilien 23.5" 5R barrel in 1/10 twist. It's S/H but has had hardly anything thru it.

I've a PES 33.5cm reflex mod, and an on loan x10 NF scope until I can afford something with a higher mag.

I took it out for the first time on Friday with 20 home loaded 87gr VMAX. Can't remember what powder it was but it was spitting out the heads at around 3050 fps andn a loand of 43.3ish was prefered on paper @100yds, which got me sub-moa. Not bad for a new to me gun and a not ideal prone position to shoot it from.

Cheers to J and P for the reloads and scope (you knwo who you are!), and I'm looking forward to developing the loads and accuracy over the next few months.

I confess to my noobness that when I got it I thought the plastic shroud around the bolt was a bit Heath Robinson. I remonstrated this to my more knowledgable friend who told me it was made of *insert technical name here* plastic and the action was extreamly smooth for having it. I reply "so it's ninja plastic then?" to which he :rolleyes: and says "yep, ninja plastic" - I live and learn. :)

63414302.jpg

That is the standard M97-DL Sporter stock, I added the jacking wheel under the cheek piece, made some stainless QR cups for the Turner M1907 AWS sling and added a front Harris stud, other than that is it is bog standard. They are great rifles and have cut rifled switch barrels plus a 5 round magazine.

It is actually my wife's however I seem to grab it first these days.

My new Rifle .SGC speedmaster ,.223 T8 sound mod ,KAHLES Helia CB 8x50 LUM ,Timney trigger ,Krieger stainless fluted barrel .