The New "Ratel" from Brock & Norris

This is the latest edition of the "Ratel" rifle from Brock & Norris.

The spec of the rifle is an 18 inch barrel - 1000 meter capable.

Macmillan A3 stock thats fully bedded.

BrockNorris389.jpg

BrockNorris384.jpg

iphone011.jpg?t=1333745248

Once it was back from the proof house I took it down the test range and shoot it at 100m

The first 3 round group did this:-

iphone003.jpg?t=1333744265

iphone012.jpg?t=1333744202

I shot it again with another 3 round group to double check:-

iphone013.jpg?t=1333744202

All the other groups were in the 0.2's

iphone013.jpg?t=1333744202

All the other groups were in the 0.2's

Rob,

At 100m (not yds) you're underselling the groups:

(0.212" / 1.047) * 0.9144 = 0.185MOA

(0.260" / 1.047) * 0.9144 = 0.22MOA

"Ratel"????

Apart from WHY?!! :lol::)

How do you even say it?!

Rate-ell?

Rate-ul?

Rattle?

Rat-ell?

:)

Rob,

At 100m (not yds) you're underselling the groups:

(0.212" / 1.047) * 0.9144 = 0.185MOA

(0.260" / 1.047) * 0.9144 = 0.22MOA

"Ratel"????

Apart from WHY?!! :lol::)

How do you even say it?!

Rate-ell?

Rate-ul?

Rattle?

Rat-ell?

:)

Hi Matt,

Called the "Ratel" as it epitomizes the characteristics of this little chap:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81bcjyfn6U

Rob what twist is the barrel and is it specifically designed for one type of bullet with the tight bore or will it shoot a variety?

It's designed to shoot everything from light weight bullets all the way through to the heavy stuff - it shoots all very well but loves the heavy weight stuff.

When the Ratel was being tested all the factory Hornaday TAP loads were shooting in the 0.2's - With Factory Ammo !!! I couldnt belive it.

I then tried a load of 150gr Hornaday ballistic tips I'd loaded and again 0.2's

But all the signiture rifles Mike's done are the same - "Silly Accurate".

The first two semi-custom rifles I had were the "Silly Accurate". The .308 Rem 700 shot better than my 2 Accuracy International's

IMG_0416.jpg?t=1303320302

This got sold to a friend of mine who loves it to bits.

And this .223 with its varmint profile and fast twist got sold to one of Mike's customers.

IMG_1768-1.jpg?t=1275839362

The first ratel I seen wore an m40 stock, have they been changed to an a3 or is it just to the customers preference?

Very impressive! I have got an itch for a 308 at some stage but Im trying to convince myself I dont need one but its not working!

2+1 / 2+1 <_< Hmm.... Looks like Hornady need to do a primer scan on their loads :lol:

Think it could be pilot error :lol::lol::lol: - the cross hairs on the Zeiss are to thick and I recon given a benchrest scope I could get it tighter.

I did get the 2+1, 2+1 with a load of hand loads I did (150gr Hornaday Ballistic Tip), so I carried out a primer test using 5 different primers and found that a diet of Rem 9 1/2 were the ones it liked for custom ammo.

And with the ammo I made up for it again 0.2's !!! :):)

Kind Regards

Rob

NIce shooting , in a field rifle , accuracy ( tight groups ) , is only 1 component , I also like ruggedness , reliablity & consistancy , so trust me when I say NONE of my AI rifles will be for sale any time soon , if ever !!!

I live in New Zealand , and my AIs have been private orders , and have taken anywhere from 18 mths to the shortest of 9 mths to get to me in NZ , so for me I cannot just drop into any gunstore in NZ and buy an AI rifle OFF the rack .

Used alot of different rifles in my time , for hunting rifles , I like the old Sako Foresters , in 308 sniper rifles , my 2 favourites are the AI AW & the Parker Hale M85 , its funny they are both made in England .

Later Chris

P.S. My AIs are AWs & a AX

What's it weigh in at captain, would it be suitabule for hill use. To give some persepcitve I used to shoot an RPA interceptor but though better and got a light weight sako in 30.06 this could be a better alternative!

NIce shooting , in a field rifle , accuracy ( tight groups ) , is only 1 component , I also like ruggedness , reliablity & consistancy , so trust me when I say NONE of my AI rifles will be for sale any time soon , if ever !!!

I live in New Zealand , and my AIs have been private orders , and have taken anywhere from 18 mths to the shortest of 9 mths to get to me in NZ , so for me I cannot just drop into any gunstore in NZ and buy an AI rifle OFF the rack .

Used alot of different rifles in my time , for hunting rifles , I like the old Sako Foresters , in 308 sniper rifles , my 2 favourites are the AI AW & the Parker Hale M85 , its funny they are both made in England .

Later Chris

Chris, that's really not fair....without copious pics of the collection :lol::) . I know exactly what you mean; I've been AWless for over a year; it was a bloomin girder and I was forced to fire it r/h; so after many year's use, I sold it on to finally embrace l/h. I've been unable to hold out any longer and i have another inbound (now that a run of l/h is due in). Drop it, bump it, freeze it, soak it, fall on it, same POI. There's nothing to match it under the strict definitions of accuracy AND consistency. But, no doubt, I'll whinge about its weight next time I go for a long crawl!

NIce shooting , in a field rifle , accuracy ( tight groups ) , is only 1 component , I also like ruggedness , reliability & consistency , so trust me when I say NONE of my AI rifles will be for sale any time soon , if ever !!!

Used a lot of different rifles in my time , for hunting rifles , I like the old Sako Foresters , in 308 sniper rifles , my 2 favorites are the AI AW & the Parker Hale M85 , its funny they are both made in England .

Later Chris

Hi Chris,

Agree with you - I've got three at present (owned 5 in total) 2x AE's (MK II & MK III and an AWSM in .338 built to same spec as per issue and I've got a new AW in 6.5x47 on order in a left hand configuration.

All of which fully kitted out weight a fair old bit, the discussion I've had with myself and others on many occasion over the years is while they do weight a lot and its always been a trade off of accuracy versus portability.

But when out varminting or stalking I need a accurate, reliable and "light weight" rifle and my AI's tick the first two boxes but not the last.

One of the key things I've taken on board over the years, shooting with some very very good shooters (Ronin, Brown Dog, Ballistic Hamster and TBF Systems)is being able to read the wind, knowing your DOPE and your rifle - all these combined count towards getting tight groups and especially use in the field.

Another key factor is price my AWSM cost around 5k and add its scope another 2k with the AE's at around the 3k mark each plus another 2k per rifle in scopes.

At the end of the day I like all of them and enjoy shooting as often as possible. Be it my .44 Black Powder muzzle loader, air rifles through to 120mm Challenger II tanks and GPMG's.

Looks like an exceptionaly accurate rifle there Rob.

Especially with factory ammo, a credit to the builder.

A keeper.

I note it is the new A-3 sporter stock. Looks a cracker.

Any recorded velocities from that 18" barrel?

The TAP loads obviously shoot. How much are they going out the door at?

Velocities from the 18 inch barrel

168 grain t.a.p. 2597 fps

150 grain sst developed load 2675 fps es 13 fps sd 7.0 fps

125 grain ballistic tip d.m.c premium hunting 2907 fps

in answer to ronnys question why not 5 shot groups? the client supplied only one box of ammo and we did not want to squander it.there is also the concentration issue shooting five shot groups when the pressure of deadlines is apon you. TIME IS MONEY!

The normal stock we use is th M40 a1 adjustable and is without doupt my first choice for this model,and on the stock rifles will be the stock offered. The featured rifle was what we class as a non typical : ie devieated from our normal specs.The client was absolutely delighted with the results.

the weight of the rifle scoped and moderated is aprox 10.2 lbs. solid but managable. we build the ratel as we build a tactical rifle. rock solid bedding , oversized recoil lugs , stocks sealed against any moisture ingress , sling swivell studs bonded in . They are made to work under the very worst feild conditions; and keep working.

The barrel twist is 1:10 and the bore dims are propretry to us.The superbe border barrels that Lee has been supplying us with have been without exception tack drivers.

The Ratels will be stock rifles once we move into the new unit shortly

yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

Archived