22 250 or 204 ruger

I have my 204 +1" at 100yrds and at 300 its got roughtly - 2.5" with the 39 sbk with a moderate load of H4895

thats good,very flat shooting , only a light bullet but will be a serious tool, cheers simon...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thats good,very flat shooting , only a light bullet but will be a serious tool, cheers simon...

I have only had one fox run with the 204 and it only went a short way and that was with the 32gn doing roughly 4250fps to fast they were braking up on inpact now on the 39sbk and slowed them down

I've got 20BR,Tac20 and a 22-250

The 20's are fabulous rounds but come the harvest and tall stubble fields the 250 comes out to play.I've had several occasions where the light 20 cal bullets have disintigrated before reaching their target.The 250 has that little bit of extra punch and is less prone to break up early

I was told by my FEO when i asked about moving on to c/f that instead of going for a 22cf get a .243.

Now i expressed an interest in deer stalking later on in my shooting career plus i was not really happy with the performance of my .17 on longer range foxing (100yrds). Not that it didnt do the job but the selection of shots was reduced.

Anyway i managed to get the .243 (tikka t3 varmint) and never looked back! I literally do not touch the 22lr and have sold the .17hmr, for me the .243 does everything! Rabbit ( i expect flak from this comment) foxes crows you name it, the only down side is cost in powder!

As for muzzle flip, well i shoot mostly prone from a preloaded bipod with a mod so i still manage to see the fur fly as a 58grain vmax explodes a bunny at the 300yrd mark with no trouble!

I was told by my FEO when i asked about moving on to c/f that instead of going for a 22cf get a .243.

Now i expressed an interest in deer stalking later on in my shooting career plus i was not really happy with the performance of my .17 on longer range foxing (100yrds). Not that it didnt do the job but the selection of shots was reduced.

Anyway i managed to get the .243 (tikka t3 varmint) and never looked back! I literally do not touch the 22lr and have sold the .17hmr, for me the .243 does everything! Rabbit ( i expect flak from this comment) foxes crows you name it, the only down side is cost in powder!

As for muzzle flip, well i shoot mostly prone from a preloaded bipod with a mod so i still manage to see the fur fly as a 58grain vmax explodes a bunny at the 300yrd mark with no trouble!

ye pal i use a 58 grain vmx in my 6ppc have done for years and they shoot half inch all day long so long as i do my bit at 150 yards, that must be very flat shooting in a 243,may be flatter than a 22.250, are they still very accurate thow, how fast are they going, must be going on 4000 fps or am i wrong,cheers simon

ye pal i use a 58 grain vmx in my 6ppc have done for years and they shoot half inch all day long so long as i do my bit at 150 yards, that must be very flat shooting in a 243,may be flatter than a 22.250, are they still very accurate thow, how fast are they going, must be going on 4000 fps or am i wrong,cheers simon

58 v max factory are 3750 fps,and zeroed at 200,the drop is -5 at 300 and -15 at 400, which is pretty much identical to factory 22/250 58g.Well good enough,but perhaps not quite PPC accuracy, but what is?!

Gbal

your right there gbal, no matter what i use and how much my deer shooting mates laff at my little stubby ppc brass case,to me i salute them 2 yanks who invented it.ha ha

your right there gbal, no matter what i use and how much my deer shooting mates laff at my little stubby ppc brass case,to me i salute them 2 yanks who invented it.ha ha

Despite it's very humble origins:

"You don't have to pray,and it does not spray."

It's not quite a 243 of course,and is way more accurate/precise than deer need.

I suppose the US 6BR runs it quite close,and is way way better as a long range cartridge.

As a 30BR,even the roe men get interested in the little stubbies.

Gbal

ye 6br. i say its a 6ppc on steroids. i hear tales of serious long range kills and groups with it. i shot one in a cooper once.was good but the rifle was small to me so didnt realy get on with it.but i do believe i will have one in time to come for deer and long range group shooting.

Its getting on for near that although i cant give an exact figure, all i can say is its pretty much point and shoot on rabbits out to 300 with minimal adjustment for sensible ranges beyond!

It burns some serious powder but I'm not a pest controller and like the fact i can reach out and touch with devastating 'humane' effect on pretty much anything within reason.

My only concern is burning out the barrel! I do however have extremely strict cleaning regimes, im a bit sad in that a really find cleaning stress relieving lol!

It really is my 'do all' rifle, i cant comment on the more target orientated cartridges but accuracy at 120yrds is STUNNING for me! Were talking 5 shots touching and i don't pretend to be a great shot!

Its getting on for near that although i cant give an exact figure, all i can say is its pretty much point and shoot on rabbits out to 300 with minimal adjustment for sensible ranges beyond!

It burns some serious powder but I'm not a pest controller and like the fact i can reach out and touch with devastating 'humane' effect on pretty much anything within reason.

My only concern is burning out the barrel! I do however have extremely strict cleaning regimes, im a bit sad in that a really find cleaning stress relieving lol!

It really is my 'do all' rifle, i cant comment on the more target orientated cartridges but accuracy at 120yrds is STUNNING for me! Were talking 5 shots touching and i don't pretend to be a great shot!

That is well good enough.

The 22/250 was tried as a Benchrest cartridge,but could not match the 222rem,which itself had to give way to the PPC.

And of course none of these had the legs for target shooting beyond say 300.

But accuracy could be pretty good,bearing in mind you get nowhere in Benchrest with groups that are a calibre size centre to centre for 5 shots at 100.that's substantially overlapping,rather than touching.

But the 22/250 has remained an outstanding varmint cartridge,one of the very best.And only recently have some others seriously challenged it.No free lunch of course.

Gbal

Coming late to the party I have both 22/250 and a 5mm/SMc which shoots a .204 bullet. The 5mm is flatter but I have had bullets vapourise without getting to the target due to grass etc. They do have less stopping power and my 22/250 definately does more damage with 55gr than the .204 with 32gr. (I could shoot 40 gr out f both but I see no sense in it). The MAJOR factor is wind. If you are shooting windy exposed ground then bigger is better. I have a .204 for my foxing, my lamping partner is a moorland grouse keeper and he has a 7mm SAUM!!!

I will probably stick the NV back on the 22/250 at harvest time to help with stubbles (rather than develop a heavier round).

My original 22/250 started to play up at around 2500 rounds, the 5mm is only upto 600 and is still going well

Coming late to the party I have both 22/250 and a 5mm/SMc which shoots a .204 bullet. The 5mm is flatter but I have had bullets vapourise without getting to the target due to grass etc. They do have less stopping power and my 22/250 definately does more damage with 55gr than the .204 with 32gr. (I could shoot 40 gr out f both but I see no sense in it). The MAJOR factor is wind. If you are shooting windy exposed ground then bigger is better. I have a .204 for my foxing, my lamping partner is a moorland grouse keeper and he has a 7mm SAUM!!!

I will probably stick the NV back on the 22/250 at harvest time to help with stubbles (rather than develop a heavier round).

My original 22/250 started to play up at around 2500 rounds, the 5mm is only upto 600 and is still going well

ye pal i spent a good 10 years fox shooting with a 22.250,to me it was designed for the fox yet there are now so many calibers out there now a days i think its just what you like your self as they will all do the job in the right hands,but to be honest i do enjoy trying them out as i just love playing with guns ha ha

I've got 20BR,Tac20 and a 22-250

The 20's are fabulous rounds but come the harvest and tall stubble fields the 250 comes out to play.I've had several occasions where the light 20 cal bullets have disintigrated before reaching their target.The 250 has that little bit of extra punch and is less prone to break up early

I have had 6mm VMAX do that in rape stubbles, in that situation I always use match bullets, Barts in the 6mm and Berger in the 20.

Fox shooters lover 22.250 because they dont need pin point accuracy and its a very good killer. Target shooters want best accuracy and tight groups. My own first choice foxing rifle is 20BR, I simply vary the bullet between 39 SBK and 50gr Berger depending on how far and if the target is in long stubble/grass etc.

A

I have had 6mm VMAX do that in rape stubbles, in that situation I always use match bullets, Barts in the 6mm and Berger in the 20.

Fox shooters lover 22.250 because they dont need pin point accuracy and its a very good killer. Target shooters want best accuracy and tight groups. My own first choice foxing rifle is 20BR, I simply vary the bullet between 39 SBK and 50gr Berger depending on how far and if the target is in long stubble/grass etc.

A

Speak for yourself mate, I like to know where I place my crosshairs the bullet will be :P

I have had 140 grn bullets seriously deflected by grasses /rushes etc. 100 grn 6mm also. I don't think the change in bullets to suit cover is worth much effort unless we are talking 12 gauge with slugs you aint going to find much difference that means anything in my experience I certainly don't think it matters anything what so ever talking .22-250 v .20 Ruger

I have to agree no such thing as near enough. Grouse keepers loved it when you had nothing but foxes size in the crosshair to range it from you had a bit more room for error. But things move on with lazers scope etc there's less need

when folk say bullets exploding on stubble etc,are we 100 percent this happens , dont get me wrong i think i have had it as well, my mates think i use it as an excuse for a miss, but i think i can hear the bullet ripping apart going through rushes some times,so you guys have had the same experience which does make me feel better.

Speak for yourself mate, I like to know where I place my crosshairs the bullet will be :P[/quot

Of course,remember target shooters can't afford even a .1 dispersion from a shot,if they are to remain competitive-have a look at the 100 y BR results posted on here.Vermin shooters cannot check for that degree of precision and don't need to-within 1/2 inch is well good enough.It's in that context that 'accuracy' is being refered to.

BR shooters actually have their shots go an inch or so low,not because they could not hit the precise aiming point,but because when they did they would lose it,and just have a big hole(calbre size) to aim at for the next shot,and that just won't do.A 1/4 or 1/2 inch spot on a fox,in the right place,might be handy for the one shot varminter,though he would not need to actually hit it.

Precision is a bit relative to purpose,and I would not care to varmint with a BR rig,but certainly not compete in BR with a varmint rig,either if I had delusions of being competive.Horses for courses applies.

Gbal

Speak for yourself mate, I like to know where I place my crosshairs the bullet will be :P[/quot

Of course,remember target shooters can't afford even a .1 dispersion from a shot,if they are to remain competitive-have a look at the 100 y BR results posted on here.Vermin shooters cannot check for that degree of precision and don't need to-within 1/2 inch is well good enough.It's in that context that 'accuracy' is being refered to.

BR shooters actually have their shots go an inch or so low,not because they could not hit the precise aiming point,but because when they did they would lose it,and just have a big hole(calbre size) to aim at for the next shot,and that just won't do.A 1/4 or 1/2 inch spot on a fox,in the right place,might be handy for the one shot varminter,though he would not need to actually hit it.

Precision is a bit relative to purpose,and I would not care to varmint with a BR rig,but certainly not compete in BR with a varmint rig,either if I had delusions of being competive.Horses for courses applies.

Gbal

I like to give my quarry the best chance of a humane kill if its 100 yds or 400 yds so accuracy is key for me especially when dialing in.

I like to give my quarry the best chance of a humane kill if its 100 yds or 400 yds so accuracy is key for me especially when dialing in.
Absolutely agree re the ethics.I was commenting on Alycidons point re the 22/250-a devastating 22 varmint round,andthough tried as an early BR couldnot match the 222,let alone the later PPC.

But we are talking about very small precision differeneces in this rarefied area.For that matter,if you insist on absolute precision you just have to shoot 6PPC,but there are other issues in wanting a non 22cf for UK varminting.

And top accuracy usually has considerable weight issues,and power scopes -(36 x on foxer.)

Sowhile agreeing in principle,it is just a tad more complex as usual.

Remember too I was still talking sub 1/2 moa,which is not bad going in field conditions,affected as they are by factors other than the rifle's intrinsic precision,actually accuracy ,as one shot should suffice.A good 22/250 will seldom let you down at moderate varmint range for purely accuracy reasons,or much else,which is why it was/is popular

Atb

Gbal

If you can hold 1/2 MOA out to 3/400 yds from wing mirror bonnet or roof wall top etc then I'd consider that good. some rifles will only just do that of a bench.

22 250 is a well proven foxing round used by many a moorland keeper. It may not compete to the last .01" but thats not what you need for killing charlie.

I can't comment on 204 barr what I've read.

when folk say bullets exploding on stubble etc,are we 100 percent this happens , dont get me wrong i think i have had it as well, my mates think i use it as an excuse for a miss, but i think i can hear the bullet ripping apart going through rushes some times,so you guys have had the same experience which does make me feel better.

Yes 100% sure! I have many instances of personal experience. Everything from a .22 RF subsonic to a 140 grm SGK and many in between .22 cf , .17 hmr, 6mm etc . They don't always "explode" but can do but they always deviate from the point of aim. Trying hard not to recount grizzly consequences of such mistakes on quarry, but one can prove it to themselves quite easy via setting paper targets say 20 yards behind such various cover.

Now I am not saying it isn't possible to shoot through cover as there are those who train on angles of deflection through glass etc. and like I say bullet "blow up" don't always happen (but should be expected) but deflection / de- stabilisation will just a case of degree

Yes 100% sure! I have many instances of personal experience. Everything from a .22 RF subsonic to a 140 grm SGK and many in between .22 cf , .17 hmr, 6mm etc . They don't always "explode" but can do but they always deviate from the point of aim. Trying hard not to recount grizzly consequences of such mistakes on quarry, but one can prove it to themselves quite easy via setting paper targets say 20 yards behind such various cover.

Now I am not saying it isn't possible to shoot through cover as there are those who train on angles of deflection through glass etc. and like I say bullet "blow up" don't always happen (but should be expected) but deflection / de- stabilisation will just a case of degree

Correct.Clear shot or no shot.

Gbal

Archived