22 250 or 204 ruger

Both crackers. Be happy with whatever your choice is ;) I use the 17 for most my foxing but still kept my 22/250 as I have muntjac on it also. Never really get the chance at them.

But sods law if i sell it . I will get chance at them :lol: the 17 and 20 calibre centerfire rifles really are superb though.

Just got rid of my fireball and replaced it with a straight 17 rem on tikka m595 action. Fluted shilen barrel. Bedded into a mcmillan stock which alan kindly sold me due to his new 204 build

Rifle sat at my rfd waiting for me to pic it up. stuff037.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the input chaps

the rifle is mainly for bashing bunnies and the odd foxing foray at night

thinking now 204 ruger as i want a sako or 20 tac rebarrel on a sako223

atb steve

Probably not a good idea to have just sold your 204 loading dies then mate. :huh:

ATB

I would go with a faster twist 22 tube. I would stay away from 22-250 as these are more difficult to sell due to barrel wear. I would opt for a 22br, highly accurate, less powder for the nearly the same output as a 22-250, barrel lasts longer, cases last as long as the rifle if they are not really hard pushed. And it is great to shoot with.

Great choice of bullets from 40gr up to 90gr I think.

I use 52gr and 69gr out of mine, excellent on deer and vermin. :)

thanks for the input chaps

the rifle is mainly for bashing bunnies and the odd foxing foray at night

thinking now 204 ruger as i want a sako or 20 tac rebarrel on a sako223

atb steve

Some actions can have a little difficulty; my one thankfully feeds fine. This is with a really old 700 action.

22 250 shoots flat hits hard :lol: :lol:

So does the .204!!!!

Basil brush wouldnt be able to tell the diffrance between a .204 and a .22-250 On the receiving end !

Steve .

• 1 year later...
I would opt for a .22.250, Better choice of rifles,bullets and brass.If you are going to have something built you have more choices to rebarrel on a .308 bolt face.Also a .22.250 will be worth something if you want to sell it.Ring around a few dealers and see how many want to take a .204 in. If you are going to get something built don't rule out a fast twist .22.250 shooting 75gr a max it is an awsome bit of kit.If you want fast and flat you could opt for the gentlemans calibre the old .220 swift cool.gif

ATB SEAN

220 is nice but a 22.250 is better

Look at the ballistics compared at the ranges you personally will shoot at, then think availability of Brass and bullets and cleaning gear off the shelf. I bet the .22 wins out, personally for distant shots and wind 6mm for me and I can still see the strikes. The fact that one is a nats hair better on drop or wind means nowt when your struggling to get the components you want

Look at the ballistics compared at the ranges you personally will shoot at, then think availability of Brass and bullets and cleaning gear off the shelf. I bet the .22 wins out, personally for distant shots and wind 6mm for me and I can still see the strikes. The fact that one is a nats hair better on drop or wind means nowt when your struggling to get the components you want[/quot

Agreed.I think " better" is rather meaningless,unless you say in what ways--and there are always advantages and disadvantages for every cartridge,especially as different shooters have different criteria for what matters to them.

Agree about the gnat''s hair differences in ballistics-given that you will have to correct for drop and drift,on similar cartridges it will only be a couple of clicks more for one of them,so no big deal deal there.

Accuracy ? Individual rifles-jim Carmichael did a proper test on factory Swifts and 22 /250s over more rifles than any of us could- very little in it.

Brass etc will be somewhat harder to get for Swift,and will usually need a little more reloading care.But how often do you need another 200 brass? All the other components are common to both.

Maybe you like the ethos of the Swift- ok,but that is personal choice,not objective.

And so we could go on- less choice of rifle actions etc,but if the one you want is available...sorted.

"Better" is too vague ,but it's fun to talk about,if it's informed talk.

Gbal

Why not think about a 223 ackley, i use one for foxing and rabbiting. 40gr Nosler going at 3960fps makes great fun out to 400 plus yards, and its using very little powder lot less than a 22-250. Just a thought for you mate.

I have a howa 204 with a wildcat-pred8 on i have shot over 400 foxes with it since i have had it furthest to date is over just 500yrds with 39gn sbk. I had a 22-250 before the 204 and yes it did the job as nearly any rifle will but the 20 cal fits the bill for most people who shoot vermin and a-few foxes. It cheap to run fun to shoot and when you get use to how it works in the wind and over distance its great two people who have shot with me a few times now shoot the 204 and it about the only rifle that comes out there cabinet unless there stalking. look an you-tube there is loads of vids of 20-cals doing there stuff at all sorts of ranges.

these 22.250,s with fast twist barrels. how flat do they shoot compared to the standerd twist barrels with a 75 grain bullet ..cheers simon
That's a very good question,Simon.And data isn't so readily available,but 6BR/ accurate shooter site do have some.

The standard twist for the 224 factory was 1in 14 (222,225,swift ,weatherby etc).and there still isn't a lot of choice.

But the 223 was transformed by faster twists,even becoming shootable to 1000y,even successfully,as by Laurie Holland.

Likewise the 243- with a fast twist,maybe one in seven,and 115 g bullets you might be challenging the 260 or 6.5x284 at long range( with AI in reserve).

The standard 22/250 was limited to about 60g bullets.

But with a fast twist and the full spectrum of heavier 224 bullets,and their much better BCs,of course,it should be a quite

different proposition,as with the 223 and 243.

Interesting indeed,and the AI for even more.

223. 80gsmk. 2800 fps. Drop/drift at 300. 12/7 and 600. 82/31. Inches

22/250. 80 smk. 3200. 9/6. 65/26

243. 115dtac 3100 9/5. 61/18

And even the 243 is reasonably shootable with a mod . The 6BR is right in there with the 22/250 and 243,and with heavy bullets (105) beats the 22/250 at very extended ranges,as does the 243.

Gbal

That's a very good question,Simon.And data isn't so readily available,but 6BR/ accurate shooter site do have some.

The standard twist for the 224 factory was 1in 14 (222,225,swift ,weatherby etc).and there still isn't a lot of choice.

But the 223 was transformed by faster twists,even becoming shootable to 1000y,even successfully,as by Laurie Holland.

Likewise the 243- with a fast twist,maybe one in seven,and 115 g bullets you might be challenging the 260 or 6.5x284 at long range( with AI in reserve).

But with a fast twist and the full spectrum of heavier 224 bullets,and their much better BCs,of course,it should be a quite

And even the 243 is reasonably shootable with a mod . The 6BR is right in there with the 22/250 and 243,and with heavy bullets (105) beats the 22/250 at very extended ranges,as does the 243.

Gbal

Gbal

ye cheers gbal, so a 80 grain bullet only drops around 3 inch more at 300 yard than a 55 grain.is that right or have i read it wrong,which i usualy do ha ha,also for saftey reasons i do like a fast bullet in case of ricochets but these heavy bullets going slower is there more chance of ricochet or do they break up just the same..

I have a howa 204 with a wildcat-pred8 on i have shot over 400 foxes with it since i have had it furthest to date is over just 500yrds with 39gn sbk. I had a 22-250 before the 204 and yes it did the job as nearly any rifle will but the 20 cal fits the bill for most people who shoot vermin and a-few foxes. It cheap to run fun to shoot and when you get use to how it works in the wind and over distance its great two people who have shot with me a few times now shoot the 204 and it about the only rifle that comes out there cabinet unless there stalking. look an you-tube there is loads of vids of 20-cals doing there stuff at all sorts of ranges.
orite pal,how many rounds does the 204 do compared to a 22.250 i mean barrel life,also i have used a 204 my self but did,nt just feel as confident with it, but it was,nt my gun to be honest, but ye it was a sweet accurate thing..cheers simon..

ye cheers gbal, so a 80 grain bullet only drops around 3 inch more at 300 yard than a 55 grain.is that right or have i read it wrong,which i usualy do ha ha,also for saftey reasons i do like a fast bullet in case of ricochets but these heavy bullets going slower is there more chance of ricochet or do they break up just the same..

orite pal,how many rounds does the 204 do compared to a 22.250 i mean barrel life,also i have used a 204 my self but did,nt just feel as confident with it, but it was,nt my gun to be honest, but ye it was a sweet accurate thing..cheers simon..

The figures I gave for comparisons relevant to the question about heavy bullets come from Accurate Shooter and are available on that site and are reasonablycomparable.I should have said they are from a 100 yard zero.There are a lot of differnt 55g 223 commercial loads,and they differ a bit,with velocity and Bullet BC,but even so the differences are no more than you suggest,probably less-there isn' a lot of diference at short range,say 200-250 yards.I think a 55 g at 3200 fps 100 zero might be about 13/9 at 300'

,a 200 yard zero more like 12/9,again at 300 yards.But as range increases,the heavies start to have some real advantages eg the 55 is dropping some 118 inches at 600,in the 223.

This has some bearing on velocity and richochet too-as does bullet construction,of course.But the light low BC buttlets haemorhage speed quite alarmingly as distance goes beyond their comfort zone( say 300 yards).It is a good point,but I just don't know of any really good study of richochet in small calibre bullets,but maybe someone else does.I have heard a lot more 5.56 and 7.62,whinw away somewhere,and none I can recall from a frangible 17 rem,but that isn't at all a proper study,as bullet construction varies too much.

Barrel life too is really affected by a number of factors,seldom really controlled,but I' d expect the 204 Ruger to have a better barrel life than the rather more overbore 22/250,which is just burning more powder,though in a slightly bigger bore.Ditto the 243,and they will all be harder on barrels than the. 223,of course.Actual shooter experience varies quite a bit on barrel life,but that probably reflects rather different useages.F classers eg are understandably concerned about reduced life if they go to 20 shot strings between cool and clean time.I can remember in the early days of the 6BR one fan answered the question about barrell life by admitting they just didn' t know,as nobody had yet shot one out.They have now,of course!

Gbal

The figures I gave for comparisons relevant to the question about heavy bullets come from Accurate Shooter and are available on that site and are reasonablycomparable.I should have said they are from a 100 yard zero.There are a lot of differnt 55g 223 commercial loads,and they differ a bit,with velocity and Bullet BC,but even so the differences are no more than you suggest,probably less-there isn' a lot of diference at short range,say 200-250 yards.I think a 55 g at 3200 fps 100 zero might be about 13/9 at 300' ,a 200 yard zero more like 12/9,again at 300 yards.But as range increases,the heavies start to have some real advantages eg the 55 is dropping some 118 inches at 600,in the 223. This has some bearing on velocity and richochet too-as does bullet construction,of course.But the light low BC buttlets haemorhage speed quite alarmingly as distance goes beyond their comfort zone( say 300 yards).It is a good point,but I just don't know of any really good study of richochet in small calibre bullets,but maybe someone else does.I have heard a lot more 5.56 and 7.62,whinw away somewhere,and none I can recall from a frangible 17 rem,but that isn't at all a proper study,as bullet construction varies too much. Barrel life too is really affected by a number of factors,seldom really controlled,but I' d expect the 204 Ruger to have a better barrel life than the rather more overbore 22/250,which is just burning more powder,though in a slightly bigger bore.Ditto the 243,and they will all be harder on barrels than the. 223,of course.Actual shooter experience varies quite a bit on barrel life,but that probably reflects rather different useages.F classers eg are understandably concerned about reduced life if they go to 20 shot strings between cool and clean time.I can remember in the early days of the 6BR one fan answered the question about barrell life by admitting they just didn' t know,as nobody had yet shot one out.They have now,of course! Gbal

thanks again for replying gbal, like said before i have shot center fires around 25 years ,but spent most of the time by my self learning from my own mistakes which i have made alot of but over the years i have learned about bullet drop,wind etc,ive only shot 6ppc and 22ppc for the last 10 years realy as to me they take the mickey out of the 22.250, but ime about to get my old one replaced and hopefully i should get on with it like i did 10 years ago,thanks again simon...

thanks again for replying gbal, like said before i have shot center fires around 25 years ,but spent most of the time by my self learning from my own mistakes which i have made alot of but over the years i have learned about bullet drop,wind etc,ive only shot 6ppc and 22ppc for the last 10 years realy as to me they take the mickey out of the 22.250, but ime about to get my old one replaced and hopefully i should get on with it like i did 10 years ago,thanks again simon...
Cheers,Simon.I have been shooting a bit longer,but my ten years with the PPCs impress me with their accuracy and shootability,at least at ranges less than say 500 yards,maybe a bit less.

I never had a 22/250 as it just didn't do anything the 243 did not do rather better,or could mostly be done by the 222,admitedly at a bit shorter range.I could not get a 22 Middlestead,which seemed about the best of both worlds.But things change-wider range of twists and bullet weights have transformed choices.But as you say,the old issues remain,especially wind judgement.Lasers have more or less eliminated distance judging problems,of course.

The 22/250 in contemporary guise has something to offer-it won' t quite deliver ppc accuracy,on average-not much does.I' d still go 243 or 6BR or the like,but some may need to stay with the 22 cfs,or of course ,the new options like the 204,and other 20s.

They are all good,with more overlap than they used to have.Enjoy.

Atb

Gbal

I dont realy know as i din"t have the 22-250 all that long but going by what i have read and heard is that you will get longer barrel life out of the 204 and as my 204 hasent done much it wont be getting rebarreled for a long time yet

I dont realy know as i din"t have the 22-250 all that long but going by what i have read and heard is that you will get longer barrel life out of the 204 and as my 204 hasent done much it wont be getting rebarreled for a long time yet

ye the 204 does seem to have a longer barrel life with the sound of it,i think the 22.250 folk either love it or hate it,most target shooters dont seem to have time for it yet the fox shooters love it,which is normal due to the pros and cons of the round. i do both and to me when range is hard to estimate which is where i go alot

eg moorland with heather etc its a handy calibur to have,cheers, ps is the 204 as flat shooting..cheers simon..

Archived