22 250 or 204 ruger

HI

thinking about buying a 204 ruger or 22 250 for longer range rabbits and foxing

does anyone have any knowledge of these two calibres as i havent had much experience with anything under 243 cf

I currently run a 270 and 308 for deer and boar and reload

Thanks

ATB Steve

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi bordersman i have a 20tac lovely accurate little rifle cheap to load and a pleasure to shoot when you are talking long range varmint shooting i have on regular basis shoot vermin out to 400yrds to 500yrds no problem even in winds 15mph and plus 204 and 20tac great foxing and vermin round if you dont roll your own go for 204 if you roll your own go for 20tac you wont regret it

I would opt for a .22.250, Better choice of rifles,bullets and brass.If you are going to have something built you have more choices to rebarrel on a .308 bolt face.Also a .22.250 will be worth something if you want to sell it.Ring around a few dealers and see how many want to take a .204 in. If you are going to get something built don't rule out a fast twist .22.250 shooting 75gr a max it is an awsome bit of kit.If you want fast and flat you could opt for the gentlemans calibre the old .220 swift B)

ATB SEAN

I got rid of a 204.

They are ok for what I’d term as short range. Up to 300m no probs. They get iffy in the wind thereafter. If you know the wind is there ok just dope it. Where I shoot you get one chance to make the shot. The wind will be flat calm where you are and 500m downrange it’s gone through 3 changes of direction/speed.

I now use 75vld’s and not only do they punch clean through 6mm plate steel from a lowly 223, it manages to hit the target despite winds you never knew were there.

In your shoes I’d get a 22-250. You can run it hard or easy your choice. The bullet selection is worlds ahead of the 20’s and deer are always on the menu with a 22 should you need.

ATB

I am leaning towards the 22 250 as this could be used for muntjac and can pick up a sako 75 for rebarreling quite easily.

Do they perform similarly ballistics wise shooting a 40 grain bullet ??

ATB Steve

if you want to see what the 22-250 can do with a faster twist, heavier bullets, have a look at sirslotsalot's videos on you tube

awesome :)

if you use the 40 grains in the 22-250 then you'll probablly wear the barrel out quicker( been there, done that, learnt from mistakes)

cheers jock

I have a 22/250ack Tikka 595 semi custom with a twist rate of 7,,,, fast twist I know but boy does it punch out the larger pills, in this twist rate I use 60gr Berger varmint heads, 75gr A-max and 82gr Berger match heads, all three loads are awesome accuracy.

How many rounds you had through the 250 mate?

Interested to know the accurate barrel life shooting 75g Amax bullets or similar.

The good BC combined with serious velocities make it rather appealing in fast twist guise.

Total rounds to date through this border cut fluted barrel is 350 and it shoots better now than what it did when I first had it, seems to have settled down nicely,

It really depends how far you want to kill charlie at and what you want to actually see through the scope when firing.

With 22.250 of normal sporting weight the recoil will cause the barrel to rise, therefore you wont see many impacts at all. I shoot heavyish 20BR, that is higher powered than 204R, no moddy yet I see all the impacts all be it that I tend to download somewhat. While I have never used a 204 I would be pretty sure that shooting around 24 grains of powder you should see the bullets arrival.

Yes 22.250 does have the legs over 204R, personally I would not use a 39/40gr bullet at a fox much over 300 yards. I shot one not long ago at about 300 yards, no exit and hardly a mark on entry. The Berger 50gr comes into its own at longer ranges, but twists in 204R would almost certainly preclude using it.

So 22.250 (and 220 Swift) does reach further, it uses 50% + more powder per cartridge, louder, lots more recoil. I have had a 22.250, sold it and now use 20BR, mate of mine used to have a 22.250AI, its now a 22BR, first three rounds went into 5p at 100 yards and its much nicer to shoot.

A

thought about the tac 20 . may look at a 223 then rebarrel. would this work and any advantages over a 22250

That's what I did - rebarrelled my lightweight sporter .223 into 20Tac, courtesy of Dasherman/Neil. Same weight bullets (39-40gr) go at same MV but flatter and more accurately. I've already beaten my own distance record held previously by various rifles I've owned in 22-250, and hoping to push out the range even further this summer on my latest Canadian groundhog hunt... I sold my 22-250: if I'd had the cash at the time, I would either have had it rebarrelled in 22BR, or rebarrelled but still in 22-250 (possibly AI). Either way, I'd have had a fast-twist barrel as suggested by Alycidon, to shoot the 75gr A-Max, for an outfit with serious long range capability.

It really does depend on the distance you want to shoot varmints at: out to medium range, the standard 20-cals are excellent and with 20BR you can push out the distance a bit further. For long range, you need something that burns more powder and makes a lot bigger bang, so go with the fast-twist 22-250. I think these days a standard-twist 22-250 is a waste of powder and time, since those 40-55gr bullets run out of puff at the same distance as similar weight bullets from the 20s. Just my 2 penn'orth.

Tony

ps These remarks about deer are a non-issue - a varmint rifle is for hunting varmints and if you want to shoot deer use something in 6mm or 7mm.

ps These remarks about deer are a non-issue - a varmint rifle is for hunting varmints and if you want to shoot deer use something in 6mm or 7mm.

Not a complete non issue at all Tony. Roe drop very nicely to a heavy 22 caliber bullet…and legally in some places. To pigeon hole a caliber to Vermin only or deer only, is a daft move IMO…especially in these times when cash is a bit tight for most people.

ATB

Ps the difference between your recommended 6mm and the 224 bullet is .483mm. I’m sure the deer can’t tell the difference. ;)

Not a complete non issue at all Tony. Roe drop very nicely to a heavy 22 caliber bullet…and legally in some places. To pigeon hole a caliber to Vermin only or deer only, is a daft move IMO…especially in these times when cash is a bit tight for most people.

ATB

Ps the difference between your recommended 6mm and the 224 bullet is .401mm. I’m sure the deer can’t tell the difference. ;)

Yes got to agree with achosenman, silly to start creating calibre categories.

I have a similar decision to make as the OP and have not yet decided between 22/250 and tac 20. It is the deer possibility that is my stumbling block. I'm sure you know the one where you take out the deer rifle and see nothing but rabbits etc, or likewise you take out the tac20 and lo and behold deer are everywhere :rolleyes:

Eldon + achosenman: limited space for explanations and didn't want to write an essay, but naturally I'm aware of the potential of "varmint rifles" to kill deer too. I just think these are radically different shooting niches and I personally would not dream of putting together a rifle outfit to try and cover both deer and varmints - it's chalk & cheese. Question doesn't arise for me, since I don't hunt deer: my rifles are for varmint hunting. And in England we are in any case constrained by the usual daft, arbitrary, mindless government interference over what sort of bullet one can use to shoot what sort of creature...

Money, yes, though on this board and elsewhere I am continually staggered by the money some guys spend on their kit! And I think trying to save cash by combining such different quarry as deer and varmints into one rifle is false economy. And I take the "varminting" in UKV literally - I dare say deer hunting is covered elsewhere in abundance. I have shot a deer! Years ago on an estate I was visiting to write up a Browning rifle review for Sporting Gun, I was invited to go after something live, with a borrowed Browning in 30-06, got a fallow buck. It just doesn't grab me. Further, I am well aware of the technically minute difference between .204" or .224" and 6mm! But (1) as a varmint-hunting traditionalist I incline to small hot rounds, and (2) in most areas Plod places more than the usual hurdles in the way of the varmint hunter who wants to shoot them with anything bigger than a .22 centrefire. I personally couldn't be arsed to go through all the double-dealing of getting a 6mm rifle certificated for deer, nominally, with "vermin" etc permitted as a sideline, then using it just as my varmint rifle.

Regards, Tony

I'm with Tony on that one. The best all around varmint/deer cartridge, in my opinion, is the 6mmBR. It will launch 58gn VMax at 3600-3800fps, and it will also launch an 87gn BTHP at 3000fps making it deer legal. Less of the bang and recoil of the .22-250 and more choice of bullets, good out to 1000yards.

If varmints is the question, then the .204 wins hands down: cheaper to reload than the .22-250, no recoil, minimal noise, see your hits before you hear the round go bang and good out to 300yds. Lets face it: how many shots will we make in a year OVER 300yds, compared with the shots we will make UNDER 300yds?

OK, the .22-250 has a .308 bolt face, so one has choice to rebarrel at a later stage, but, as far as I'm concerned, once one shoots the .20cals, they normally never want to be without one. As for the bullet choice, you only need one that works in your gun and the 39gn Sierra Blitzking is not going to disappoint ever in the 20cal, so there's the 'abundance of bullet choice' argument over as far as I'm concerned.

best wishes,

Finman

I'm with Tony on that one. The best all around varmint/deer cartridge, in my opinion, is the 6mmBR. It will launch 58gn VMax at 3600-3800fps, and it will also launch an 87gn BTHP at 3000fps making it deer legal. Less of the bang and recoil of the .22-250 and more choice of bullets, good out to 1000yards.

If varmints is the question, then the .204 wins hands down: cheaper to reload than the .22-250, no recoil, minimal noise, see your hits before you hear the round go bang and good out to 300yds. Lets face it: how many shots will we make in a year OVER 300yds, compared with the shots we will make UNDER 300yds?

OK, the .22-250 has a .308 bolt face, so one has choice to rebarrel at a later stage, but, as far as I'm concerned, once one shoots the .20cals, they normally never want to be without one. As for the bullet choice, you only need one that works in your gun and the 39gn Sierra Blitzking is not going to disappoint ever in the 20cal, so there's the 'abundance of bullet choice' argument over as far as I'm concerned.

best wishes,

Finman

I suppose we all have priorities. Mine was being able to hit targets when needed at longer range than the 204 could manage comfortably. The 204R burns 27.6gn powder. That still makes a noise, it still gets the barrel hot and it still recoils enough to move a high powered scope off the target. BTW the rifle hated 39grn Sierra’s, :D 40gn V-Max or VLD’s were its preference

I remember a mate sent me a photo of his bag for the afternoons shooting with his new toy. He had 40 odd rabbits at long range, 3 foxes and a Roe for the freezer. I reckon he would have married that rifle there and then had it been legal.

I am not saying a 6mm is not an excellent choice, far from it. But the powder charges will be similar I would guess.

The 204 is flat shooting but as I have said before, to my mind that only matters if you are a novice or someone who doesn’t know their rifle. It lets you get away with it to a degree. 300m is a long way when you first start out. However on this site I’m pretty sure most of us know our rifle’s ballistic profiles intimately. So while it might be good at the start, it’s like a set of training wheels, you soon outgrow the need.

As for seeing your bullets strike. It’s funny, but I see more bullet strikes with the mundane 223 than I ever saw with the 204. I suppose it’s because I shoot further with this rifle and with a slower bullet, the recoil is over and the sight is back on the target before the bullet gets there. ;)

I still believe the 22-250 makes a better choice given that the criteria was “longer range” What that means in measured meters will probably be different to each of us.

ATB

I think fast twist 22 cf are the way forward.I have just had a very nice .220 swift built with a 14 twist barrel.It pushes 52gr bergers at close to 4000 fps and is like a lazer beem out to 300 yards.It is an ideal fox rifle just point and shoot.But i have to say when the barrel is toast it will be rebarrled with a 8 twist.The .22.250 i had built with a 8 twist tube never ceases to amaze me.I havn't ran it through a ballistics calculater to see what the difference is between the swift and the .22.250,But there doesn't seem a great deal of difference out to 250/300 yards.And past 350 yards the 75gr a max come into there own.Whilst the 52 grainers are getting blown around and loosing steam those big old 75 grainers are steaming along.And yes i have had a 20 cal and sold it.They just don't kill em like the bigger stuff ;)

ATB SEAN

Guest richness

HI

thinking about buying a 204 ruger or 22 250 for longer range rabbits and foxing

does anyone have any knowledge of these two calibres as i havent had much experience with anything under 243 cf

I currently run a 270 and 308 for deer and boar and reload

Thanks

ATB Steve

204: cheap, good brass, good barrel life, spot your shots easy. Great ballistics like 22-250. Quiet/ low recoil

22-250. Good brass. Costs more to run if doing lots of vermin. Bigger bang/ recoil. More energy for deer etc. 308 boltface a very good point made earlier

Better resale in shops but you'll shift a 204 on the forums easy

Myself, I have had several 204s and it remains one of my very favourite cals for vermin out to 500y. It is excellent in the wind due to high bc, fast bullets

At the end of the day, a lot of calibres will get you out there knocking stuff over. It's about the pleasure of firing the thing and I love the way my RPA 204 goes "ting" and at the same instant the bunny rolls.

Good luck with it all mate

I find the "seeing the bullet strikes" debate somewhat over-rated.

If you look after the shot to see a dead varmint &/or a cloud of feathers or fur, that's all I'm interested in seeing :P

Most of the land I shoot varmints has decent green grass and there's nothing to see if a bullet goes into it. Mid summer can be dusty at times but there's still often ground cover that hides bullet strikes.

Shooting with a lighter .223 at sub-200yds, there is still enough sight disturbance to miss seeing it anyway.

Chris-NZ

Guest richness

Lol yes they do hit fairly hard don't they :)

Very true re bullet splash

One of the reasons I prefer 20 to 17

Stands to reason that yiu'll get more splash with 22-250 than 204 if you miss into difficult terrain at range, thus enabling a successful follow up shot

I feel a shade safer with a fast 20cal bullet when it comes to ricochets

Lots of various pros and cons - he'll have to get both !

As the name suggests I have a 204 Ruger but also a 22.250, love both calibres. Had the 22.250 for a couple of years and ahev always fought the 22.250's corner against the 223 discussions. Its a cracking round and very flat especially when shooting a 40g Nosler at over 4k ft/sec. I got the 204 back end of last year and ahev shot 8 foxes on the boucne with it, furthest being 270 yards. It works well with my PVS 14, no/low recoil to speak of and no muzzle flash so perfect for NV. Im using 32g Noslers which shoot hole in hole at 100 yards adn close to a cloverleaf at 200. The biggest thing for me has been the confidence Ive got using it in any position. I did miss a few foxes when resting on a post or hard surface due to muzzle flip/bounce etc mainly due to my 22.250 being very light/increased recoil. I would ahev another but right now the 204 is my foxing calibre and Im very happy with it...No runners so far. I agree with achosenman, 22.250 is more than capable on small deer, just ask our friends in Scotland......

Archived