New 308 F/class rifle advice

ANDY T

Hi

Decided to get two new rifles for f/class and benchrest shooting 308 and a s yet still undecided on the other 6mmbr or .284 anyway looking for advice on the 308 looking for something like the below speck what do you think.??

Action RPA Quadlite

Stock: Robertson GBF stock, adjustable cheek piece, 3 way adjustable butt, full pillar bed.

Barrel Border cut rifled stainless 30" long 1/10" twist what barrel diameter would you go for 34mm or larger

Chamber in 308 single shot, standard Lapua case don't want to do any neck turning

Trigger RPA two stage.

Would you have it screw cut for muzzle brake or not

Andy

Hi

Decided to get two new rifles for f/class and benchrest shooting 308 and a s yet still undecided on the other 6mmbr or .284 anyway looking for advice on the 308 looking for something like the below speck what do you think.??

Action RPA Quadlite

Stock: Robertson GBF stock, adjustable cheek piece, 3 way adjustable butt, full pillar bed.

Barrel Border cut rifled stainless 30" long 1/10" twist what barrel diameter would you go for 34mm or larger

Chamber in 308 single shot, standard Lapua case don't want to do any neck turning

Trigger RPA two stage.

Would you have it screw cut for muzzle brake or not

Andy

Talk to Mik at Dolphin guns, he will sort you something very nice out for very reasonable money, in a great timeframe. He has all the components you need on the shelf.

Andy,

I might have said this before - but, if you look on the GBFCA website at www.gbfclass.co.uk you will see the top ten equipment lists for the 2011 Europeans and the 2011 GB F Class League.

These guys are as good as anyone in the world - makes sense to look at what they are shooting.

Always remember - WEIGHT is the F/TR builder's biggest challenge.

Vince

Andy,

I might have said this before - but, if you look on the GBFCA website at www.gbfclass.co.uk you will see the top ten equipment lists for the 2011 Europeans and the 2011 GB F Class League.

These guys are as good as anyone in the world - makes sense to look at what they are shooting.

Always remember - WEIGHT is the F/TR builder's biggest challenge.

Vince

Hi Vince

I have tried to get on that site before with out any success Vice

Andy

Andy,

Just tried it - you shouldn't have a problem - www.gbfclass.co.uk - it really is worth reading what those who are shooting F/TR at the highest level are using - unfortunately, when you ask the question on a forum it's possible to get advice from those who don't even shoot F/TR.

Target Shooter mag. will shortly be releasing an F/TR supplement comprised of the best of F/TR in the magazine over the last few years - building, reloading, scopes, shooting etc.

Cheers

Vince

Personally, I would re think the action choice - quadlocks have stiff bold lift that upsets the rifle on the bag.

Plenty of better choices (IMHO)

Barnard, BAT, GBR, VAlkerie, Stiller etc etc etc

I had a butchers at the winning list and all the gear they use ,seems to me that the 7mm rules and the straight 284 and shehane version are snapping at there heels,saw a gun built by a certain mr Bottomley was steered to victory by mr.Anselm.that story is a good read.

Hi

Some more advice needed i have been in contact with some gun makes and they have come back with the below builds and cost which one would you go for and why.

Thanks

Andy

A build

Stolle Panda F Class Action with 20 moa Davidson Rail in Right Bolt Left Port

Kelbly Benchrest Trigger

Krieger Heavy 1 in 12" twist barrel finished at 30"

Precision Rifle & Tool F Class Stock (non adjustable

£2,950

B build

Barnard P action Incl Trigger £1,032.00

17 MOA Scope Rail £90.00

Lilja 1 in 12 twist barrel 308 £670.00

Robertson GB F Open Stock Incl bedding block £1,150.00

Stock Painted and lacquered add £300

£2.942.0

Both sound good but I think the stock choice is for an F open class gun not a .308 FTR rig. As Vince said study what the top guys are using. Or you will end with something you can't use for either.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

The build has started i am going with build A By Osprey Rifles

A build

Stolle Panda F Class Action with 20 moa Davidson Rail in Right Bolt Left Port

Kelbly Benchrest Trigger

Krieger Heavy 1 in 12" twist barrel finished at 32"

Precision Rifle & Tool F Class Stock (non adjustable)

The stock is also having some custom graphics done by Mark Ralph of MR Creations

http://www.mrcreations.co.uk/

I will also be getting a .284 Krieger Heavy 32'' barrel done later so i will need to buy the kit need to change over barrels, Stuart has said it is quite strait forward to change barrels.

Andy

Hi

Here is a computer mock up of what graphics he has come up with for the stock so far do you think it is a bit over the top or ok

Andy

Andy

It does not matter what other people think of the graphics, as long as you like it thats all that matters, I think it looks great though.

Tony.

Andy

It does not matter what other people think of the graphics, as long as you like it thats all that matters, I think it looks great though.

Tony.

Thanks Tony

He will be getting back to me with what he has in mind for the rest of the stock and the other side

Andy

Andy

Tony.

Thanks Tony

He will be getting back to me with what he has in mind for the rest of the stock and the other side

Andy

my next build will be all pink and with purple ribbons on it. i lvery much like yours as well

ive always fancied a barbie doll theme as well

• 1 month later...

Andy,

Go for Build A - spot on.

Vince

Hi Vince

I will soon be getting my new rifle from Stuart at Osprey rifles as i have said i went for build A

I have had the barrel throat ed for a Lapua case for 185 Berger and Berger 155 bullet do you have any good load for this.

The 6mmbr is throated for 105 Berger bullet do you have any loads for this one as well

Stolle Panda F Class Action with 20 moa Davidson Rail

Right Bolt Left PortKelbly Benchrest Trigger

Krieger Heavy 1 in 12" twist 308 barrel finished at 32'' also a Krieger Heavy 1 in 8" twist 6mmbr 32'' barrel made.

"Precision Rifle & Tool F Class Stock (non adjustable

Regards

Andy

• 2 years later...

Hi andy

Maybe too late but have a stolle fclass with an a5 McMillan stock

Two barrels one 308 and 6.5x47 both done 350 rounds also dies and brass

For sale will be putting up for sale tomorrow

Archived