Best Bipod Option

prairie dog

Hi All,

What is considered to be the best F Class bipod option out there right now. Would really appreciate your input.

Cheers, P. Dog

Depends on two things - how much weight do you have to spare and what stock have you got - i.e. does it have an accessory rail or sling swivel stud?

I'm new to FTR, so my experience is limited, but ... I have a sinclair MK1 bipod. It's extremely stable and lovely to shoot off. It may be on the heavy side and my AI ae is 18.02lb all up, including the bipod.

The only con is it can be a pain in the h*le to set the height on the firing line as you need to adjust both sides for elevation. The types with a winder underneath are easier to adjust, but often don't offer the same stability. Up to you after that.... but again ... I'm no expert ...

pcon

i have just started in f-class and all i use at the moment is a harris seems to do the trick ,but i know if you want to play with the big boys then an upgrade is needed.vince had a nice one at diggle the other week -i think third eye are something to do with it.

I used a harris , but since switching over the difference is really noticeable, the harris give what I call spring back and jump, which will have you resetting on target, the sinclair or most FTR bipods are designed to recoil straight... although some with carbon fiber do seem to flex.

I've used a few bipods over the years so here i my opinon on a few.

Sinclair

Pros - Excellent build, strong, steady, cheap .

Cons - Awkward to adjust, and heavy. Comes it at around 2.25lb.

Harris

Pros - Light (0.75lb), easy to fold out, attach, cheap.

Cons - Not as steady, does not recoil well (poor battery), tends to dig in or jump.

Censhot

Pros - Light, easily adjustable, easy to attach.

Cons - Most expensive out there ( i think), and flexes. By that i mean the ones i seen used beside me seem to "flex" which i wouldn't be comfortable with. However i have not owned or used one so my opinion is based on visuals not usage. Someone with better experience would answer better.

I'm currently waiting on a new bipod from Dolphin firearms. Seems to be everything i need. A single "dial" for adjustment, light weight, and wide foot base for stability. Plus chaper than it's nearest competitor.

Don't buy an F/TR bi-pod until you see the Osprey Rifles one - introduced at the Newark Show.

I've used it in competition - it's excellent and we'll feature it in April's Target Shooter magazine.

If you can't wait, e-mail stuart@ospreyrifles.com

Incidentally - if anyone wants a Censhot, I have one - as new - £275

Cheers

Vince

The best F/TR bipod?

There are a few options on the market but they are very much of a muchness with the exception of the new Davis (Australia) which is aimed at the Oz F Standard class so weight is not so critical and the innovative and also cloned Henry Rempol design(Canada) The bottom line is the remainder are a triangle with an adjuster of some form making up the third leg but then again they are called bipods so it is hard to move away from this concept.

Look for something that is light (NEVER believe what you read, if you get a chance bung your chosen bipod on some scales, I have seen '750 gram' bipods come in at a tad under 900... It needs a wide footprint to offer stability and reduce the torque effect of the rifle and it needs to have an easy to use elevation system, have you noticed people using cordless screwdrivers at the firing point to get the coarse adjustments made. It also needs to track accurately and offer a decent cant control, and and most importantly it needs to be robust.

If you can tick all these box's and find your bipod for sub GBP200 then go for it.

• 2 months later...

Guys,

We are reviewing these two bi-pods Osprey & Mystic Precision) in June's Target Shooter magazine - and yes Davy - the Mystic Precision is under £200 (Fox Firearms) and it does weigh 13 ounces!

Vince

Vince, I know from personal experience just how difficult it is to build a decent bipod to sub 500 grams and having watched the review last night and it certainly ticks the boxes and at around 350 grams it is a world beater, elevation range is reasonable as well.

I bet Harry R is wishing he had protected his original design...

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently waiting on a new bipod from Dolphin firearms. Seems to be everything i need. A single "dial" for adjustment, light weight, and wide foot base for stability. Plus chaper than it's nearest competitor.

Hmmm... I sent mine back a while ago. Too flimsy for my liking. Regards JCS

Forgot about this thread. i received my bipod so might as well post what i think.

I went for the smaller version due to weight restraints on my rig. When i got it i was surprised at the size, and wondered should i have went for the larger. In retrospect i shouldn't have been because to keep the bipod so light it had to be small or else made from a material that may be cost prohibitive.

Brought it out to try it. The bipod was very easy to attach. One dial, and she was on tight. I loosened both "pivot" handles, and got into position. The single dial for height adjustment was a dream compared to the Sinclair i had been using previously. Once i attained my desired height i straightened the rifle, and locked the handles. The bipod performed excellently. It was steady, gave good battery, and never had to be adjusted after a few shots.

The only drawback was i moved from one firing point to another (900yard to 1,000), and the spot i was lying in was at a less step angle than previously. By the time i adjusted the height of the bipod (raising it) the feet were narrower than i would have liked. However i fired away, and it performed perfectly for me. I'm sure the larger version would eliminate the narrow foot position, but overall i'm happy with the bipod.

Obviously it may not be to everyone's liking, but to make weight with my rifle i went for it, and am happy with the results so will be keeping it.

Hmmm... I sent mine back a while ago. Too flimsy for my liking. Regards JCS

I have modified a few for various people recently so they better suit their needs.

I have built everything from a different locking knob so the user could better tighten the bipod head to the rifle, complete new bipod heads for AICS users so the bipod would not swivel on the rifle and was able to use the AI T Rail system which means a new AI type T Nut, fast elevation systems which halve the time taken to change the height and combinations of the these as well.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Mik's bipods and I would happily use one, it is just that sometimes people want things to be slightly different or tweaked slightly and they come to me to get the work done.

Ezridax,

Have you seen the bi-pod from Mystic Precision? Perfect if you are struggling to make weight - it weighs 13 oz! We mention it briefly in June's Target Shooter - Brian Fox is stocking them.

Cheers

Vince

I got my hands on a Mystic a couple of weeks ago and it is very well made and stunningly light with a good level of rigidity as well. If I had to criticise it then it would be for the leg adjustment and even that is a minor thing as the legs index in notches which is head and shoulders over the SincInt which is vaguely similar.

Thanks for that Davy. Good to know that i have options to tweak a bipod rather than keep "bouncing" from one brand to the other.

Ezridax,

Have you seen the bi-pod from Mystic Precision? Perfect if you are struggling to make weight - it weighs 13 oz! We mention it briefly in June's Target Shooter - Brian Fox is stocking them.

Cheers

Vince

I read the online version, but must admit i glanced over that article. I'll have a look back. I took a look at their website, and the weights are impressive. For the moment i am just making weight. However i would sooner have "leeway" of a few more ounces.

Thanks again.

• 4 months later...

I have use all sinlair generation of bipods + Harris,Centershot but hands down the best are the Remple made in BC Canada only problem with Remple its heavy and the Star Shooter made in Quebec Canada lighter than the Sinclairs and very well made and so user friendly. I was able to shoot a 75 of 75 with 12 V bulls on Icfra Target 5" V bull at 900 m with a 223 Rem and 90gr Bergers.friend of mine using Star shooter and 223 at 300m 75 with 15 vbulls and 600m 75 with 14 vbulls

You will be buying quality bi-pod in the Star Shooter there is no flex in carbon fiber shafts of Star Shooter Centershot has lots of flex that I did not like.

You can Google for web site

P1080480.jpg

Archived