.17 rem fireball barrel fouling !

would appreciate any help from you fireball shooters , just running a vssf in today with some factory rounds and am totally amazed at the amount of carbon or sooting coming out of it , patching after every shot using butches bore shine and the patches are coming out black never seen anything like it , can anyone shed any light on what's happening . always run a new barrel in but never seen this amount of fouling before , loving the calibre so far , very quiet with the third eye mod on it also , bedded by baldie re cut thread and crown and jewel trigger fitted . also anyone had any success with the 25 gr vmax load ?

appreciate any help , cheers men :wacko:

would appreciate any help from you fireball shooters , just running a vssf in today with some factory rounds and am totally amazed at the amount of carbon or sooting coming out of it , patching after every shot using butches bore shine and the patches are coming out black never seen anything like it , can anyone shed any light on what's happening . always run a new barrel in but never seen this amount of fouling before , loving the calibre so far , very quiet with the third eye mod on it also , bedded by baldie re cut thread and crown and jewel trigger fitted . also anyone had any success with the 25 gr vmax load ?

appreciate any help , cheers men :wacko:

never really notice that in mine. could be that mine isn't a factory tube so cleans up really easy.

then again your using factory rounds so I don't know what powder they use in there factory rounds.

might be a really dirty powder. i use h322 and it isn't that bad. tho I hear vit powders burn really clean. if your going to reload for it in the future there range of powders might be worth a look.

the 25 vmax in that rilfe should be a real shooter. B):D

atb jamie

thanks guys , thats what I'm thinking that the factory remmington rounds are just really dirty but I had no choice as I was waiting for my dies to land and just wanted a rudimentary zero to work with .also wanted to enquire with you guys what kind of seating depth are these rounds favouring ,close to lands or a little jump ? and realistic velocipede with the 25 gr vmax , it's a vssf 1in9 twist 26" tube . any other tips or suggestions for this little round would be appreciated as I've no experience with anything this small , but I'm loving It so far :P

Hi

I tried Benchmark when I first started playing with my Mach IV and I found it really dirty to clean out, patch after patch after patch - Pacnor barrel.

I now use H322 and that seems to burn much cleaner - 2-3 patches and job done using the same solvents.

I run mine on a fairly light load - 17gn H322 which gives 3,650ish out of a 22 inch barrel with a 25gn Vmax. That load shoots easily into 0.5 edge to edge.

I jump mine 10-15 thou but to be honest I have never tested seating depth.

I have gone up to 3,800 but started to get early pressure signs and the groups were rubbish so I stayed with a sedate 3,650fps - yet to find a rabbit complain about the lack of speed!!!

Hope that helps.

smokin

give mine a 10 thou jump and get good results,

only really used 20g v-max and 30g bergers but have some 25g v-max test loads done and will try them this week if weather stays good

also have a pac nor ss match barrel, as mach iv says, really easy to clean

cheers jock

SMOKIN-glad to see you have a taste for the small calibres,as for your cleaning regime.the factory ammo is probably some cheap crap that they have loaded for them [powder that is]and you need to get the carbon out with a carbon remover not butchs.KG1 is the stuff patch through 2-3 let it sit for 20mins patch out till clean.then go to butchs for the copper.

as its a factory stick fouling may be a little heavier with my fb [cooper pheonix] i go 30-40 before i see a hint of blue .as for powder as others have said h322 is a good choice but the best bar none is BENCHMARK,clean burning meters superb into the small case and gives you good velocity for sensible pressure.as for the 25vmax i couldnt get them to shoot under.6 in mine so binned them 20vmax is very good as is 25berger match but the old style 25gn berger varmints are the dogs i got a few of foxy.just enjoy the fb its a very good varmint cartridge.

Guest richness

Hi mate. I get 3700 out of a case full of RL15 (19.7gr IIRC) and 3740 from H322 18,6gr

30gr Bergers do 3600 over 19.6gr RL15

All loads do about 0.4"@ 100y and 1" at 225y from the factory barrel 24" i think mine is. That is the rifle's peak accuracy and no other loading can find any more performance.

I get a lot of carbon out but not too bad on the copper front (for a factory tube) and i'm able to shoot 50 rounds before I need to think about a lil' scrub.

It's my only factory barrel and it is 1) nowhere near as accurate as match barrel, about 30x dirtier than the match barrel BUT i'm lucky in that the first shot goes to point of aim and stays there as barrel heats. It's reasonably accurate too so it does the job

My lengths to the ogive, by the way are 1.553" with 25gr Vmax and 1.621" with the 30gr bergers

Mine is bedded into an HS precision stock and has the trigger lightened down and tuned a little. It'll be about 25oz

thanks for all the replys men I'm all over it , polished bore and tried the KG1 and what a difference ! loaded some 25gr vmax with 322 which I'm trying in the morning will post results , thanks again :)

322 showing accuracy promise but speed down on what I expected only around 3550 but around 1/2 moa , just interested to see what. the 10x has to offer . 10x really shone in the 204 so intrigued to try it , anyone on here given it a go ?

322 showing accuracy promise but speed down on what I expected only around 3550 but around 1/2 moa , just interested to see what. the 10x has to offer . 10x really shone in the 204 so intrigued to try it , anyone on here given it a go ?

IT was my favoured powder in my 20tactical but it was dirty never tried it in the fb for that reason maybe it will shoot for you -but i think you will be cleaning a little bit more than you think. no harm in giving it a whirl.

IT was my favoured powder in my 20tactical but it was dirty never tried it in the fb for that reason maybe it will shoot for you -but i think you will be cleaning a little bit more than you think. no harm in giving it a whirl.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest richness

Nope but should be fine mate. Worth a try. As for soot coming out... The issue really is how many shots before accuracy goes off. Use of kg1 will stop carbon build-up ( what a great product) but 17s will always be relatively dirty due to low surface area

Nope but should be fine mate. Worth a try. As for soot coming out... The issue really is how many shots before accuracy goes off. Use of kg1 will stop carbon build-up ( what a great product) but 17s will always be relatively dirty due to low surface area

cheers rich for that , just loaded twenty rounds in a ladder of 10x so weather permitting I'll be trying those in the day tomorrow .

the more I shoot this little thing the more I'm loving it .on a separate note had a 436 yrd pigeon this aft with the 22-250 using the new 53 gr vmax :rolleyes:

Archived