Designing an F-TR Riflestock

dorg

My lad Joe has been playing with a stock design, have a look see what you think. Having spoken to several people at the show at Newark, what is wanted is a stock longer than normal, this will be up to 42 inches in length. as light as possible with no adjustable cheekpiece or butt pad, this stock when finished should weigh about 31/2 pounds. What we want to know is would people want the underside of the butt flat and how wide as regards riding a rear bag. would a flat section on the end of the forend so when fixing a bipod it would be square to the barrel be a good idea. We would love to know your thoughts.

post-10677-0-48803300-1331149702_thumb.jpg

My spin on the stock (I shoot F Open)

The base of the butt I think needs to be parallel to the plane of the base of the forend, (both should be paralell to the barrelled action - where there is contact with the front rest and rear bag anyway)

Forend should be 2.75 - 3" wide and have running strips in the underside, which will assist in recoil tracking rearwards.

The Ballard from PSS is about as good as it gets - you already have dupilcated this.

But I think these additions would help in refining it.

This is a Shehane Tracker (my own_), which I have modified.

DSCN2331.jpg

DSCN2330.jpg

DSCN2328.jpg

if i wanted a ftr stock for my self i want it light and long and strong and stable the long forend is a great idea as long as it doesnt sacrifice weight

i wouldt want the bottom of the butt level like f-open stock as we have a quike way of adjusting elevation with the front rest , as getting slight elevation adjustments can be a pain with a bipod just slide bag a little back and your up,but just a slight slope would be good for the butt

flat underneath forend would be good idea to fit a front bipod but isnt nessesary and about .750 min to a 1 inch for a flat for to sit on the bag

i could be taking up ftr after next year so i might give you a shout let me know how you get on with it ,so thats what i am looking for in a ftr stock

hope this helps

i am sure some of ftr shooters can give you some differnt ideas

Dorg,

You will struggle to better the Precision Rifle Sales design. They are about 40 inches long and come with a three-inch wide fore-end for F Open Class (or benchrest) and a more rounded fore-end for F/TR (shot with bi-pod).

You can play with inlets on the underside as Ronin suggests but initially, I'd leave it flat - it's easy enough for the 'smith to inlet if the customer wants it.

Keep the underside of the butt parallel to the underside of the fore-end for best bag-riding ability but it can be rounded or flat on the bottom - which ever is easiest/cheapest.

Forget about adjustable cheek pieces and butt plates - they add weight and cost and the customer can spec. one with his 'smith if he wants one.

Keep the blank weight down to no more than 6 lbs. and the cost down to £250 and you'll sell all you can make!

Cheers

Vince

Thankyou for your replys.

Firstly can you buy A PRS coloured laminate stock in this country for £250, although this is about the right price for an uninlet stock of that design in birch ply, remember putting a finish on this from someone like Hydrographics would cost at least £200. Laminate blanks come in either 36 inch or 50 inch lenghts so a 40 inch stock abit wasteful.

a GB F class stock is about 35 inches so is a cost effective lenght to make. As for weight the stock we are playing with at the moment will weigh about 4lb when finished. I am really trying to find out what people want and make that. So please keep your coments coming I am listening hard.

danny i will measure mine on friday when i get back home - but their longer than most stocks about 3 inch in the forend their well stable and track realy well

Dorg, Do have any pics of finished stocks you have completed?Do they come completley finished and inletted?I wouldn't mind a stock for my sako 75 6ppc.Maybe a t/hole style what sort of money are we looking at.

Cheers sean

danny i will measure mine on friday when i get back home - but their longer than most stocks about 3 inch in the forend their well stable and track realy well

nice one thanks Grant , Dorgs going to be a makeing me a couple of stocks for diggle, and he has found a very good Air brush artist very close by so we will have some fancey looking stocks on the line this year.

gary

fox firearms has some in stock ,what is it your after ? f-open or ftr

GRANT it will be f-open for a stolle action, rifle is in a mcmillan marksman at the moment but looking at other options if the price is right. i will be at diggle sunday ill see what auntie wainwright wants for them.

Matchking We are in the process of sorting out a website, a thumbhole for a Sako starts at £230 in Walnut, We had 3 in Sakos at Newark. The stocks come 95% inlet and rough sanded for you to finish. We will be offering a finishing service in time. We will be a forum supporter on here as soon as we get the website up and running ( all sorted with Brown Dog).

Matchking We are in the process of sorting out a website, a thumbhole for a Sako starts at £230 in Walnut, We had 3 in Sakos at Newark. The stocks come 95% inlet and rough sanded for you to finish. We will be offering a finishing service in time. We will be a forum supporter on here as soon as we get the website up and running ( all sorted with Brown Dog).

Cool Dorg looking forward to ordering one from you.

gary their worth the money - their the muts nuts ,i have a couple coming through my own channels for some customers ,you should see plenty this year at the f-class leugue shoots and if dorgs making them now then it might be the cheaper and better option

Looking forward to seeing the web site.Nice to see someone not ripping the granny out of gun parts for a change.

ATB SEAN

Thankyou for your replys.

Firstly can you buy A PRS coloured laminate stock in this country for £250, although this is about the right price for an uninlet stock of that design in birch ply, remember putting a finish on this from someone like Hydrographics would cost at least £200. Laminate blanks come in either 36 inch or 50 inch lenghts so a 40 inch stock abit wasteful.

a GB F class stock is about 35 inches so is a cost effective lenght to make. As for weight the stock we are playing with at the moment will weigh about 4lb when finished. I am really trying to find out what people want and make that. So please keep your coments coming I am listening hard.

Dorg,

You asked so I told you! Long stocks help with stability during recoil - i.e. they ride the bags better. I know that most blanks are less than 40 inches - which is why only Precision Rifle Sales do a long stock! And why it costs us £350 for a £250 stock - we have to import it from America!

It might cost £200 to lacquer it but that's the individual customers problem - a guy at our range lacquers 'em for £50 - not perfect like Hydrographics but plenty good enough for a comp. gun.

All we want is a well-finished blank - cut out all the un-necessary stuff and keep the price as low as possible - if you want to sell 'em!

Vince

Dorg,

You asked so I told you! Long stocks help with stability during recoil - i.e. they ride the bags better. I know that most blanks are less than 40 inches - which is why only Precision Rifle Sales do a long stock! And why it costs us £350 for a £250 stock - we have to import it from America!

It might cost £200 to lacquer it but that's the individual customers problem - a guy at our range lacquers 'em for £50 - not perfect like Hydrographics but plenty good enough for a comp. gun.

All we want is a well-finished blank - cut out all the un-necessary stuff and keep the price as low as possible - if you want to sell 'em!

Vince

Gunpimp could you let me know were to get the above stock for £350.00 in the uk as the best price ive been given is getting up to £500.00 un inlet.

£250.00 would be a bargin price even £350.00 is a great deal after what ive been quoted

Gunpimp could you let me know were to get the above stock for £350.00 in the uk as the best price ive been given is getting up to £500.00 un inlet.

£250.00 would be a bargin price even £350.00 is a great deal after what ive been quoted

Danny, I think the Precision Rifle & tool stock is available directly from the US for that price without the inlet and without the adjustable butt pad and cheek piece.

£250.00 would be a bargain price even £350.00 is a great deal after what ive been quoted

You have to import it yourself! However, Brian Fox has them for around £400

Vince

Danny i measured my stock and with a 13.5 lop its just over 39 inches

Thanks Grant thats very kind, I will catch up with you at Diggle , will have some 3 way adjuster back metal to show you by then and a fair bit cheaper than Warner rear metal, Cheaper than import tubbs metal aswell .

Archived