NEW 6MMBR RIFLE

ANDY T

Hi

I am possibly looking at getting a new or second hand 308 rifle for F/Class and benchrest shooting upto a 1000yd.

If it was you looking to buy one and cash wasn't a issue what part would you like.

• What Barrel and what length.
  • What action.
  • What Trigger
  • What Stock

Andy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

I am possibly looking at getting a new or second hand 6mmbr rifle for F/Class and benchrest shooting upto a 1000yd.

If it was you looking to buy one and cash wasn't a issue what part would you like.

• What Barrel and what length.
  • What action.
  • What Trigger
  • What Stock

Andy

For one I wouldn't buy a 6mmBR for F class and 1000 yard bench rest. Unless you like looking at your name in the lower parts of the result sheet.

Cheers

Dave

For one I wouldn't buy a 6mmBR for F class and 1000 yard bench rest. Unless you like looking at your name in the lower parts of the result sheet.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

I like a challenge and am i not wrong in thinking that this small cartridge has set some 1000yd records.

Andy

Hi Dave

I like a challenge and am i not wrong in thinking that this small cartridge has set some 1000yd records.

Andy

Look at how many it has set in recent years. While it is still a fantastic little round that punches way above what it ought to I'm sorry to say but things have moved on.

I started off in F class shooting a 6BR, and while my performances were ok the following year I used a 7mm.

A bit OT but I'm surprised the .30br is not getting a mention. Looking at the back pages of Precision Shooting you struggle to find a different calibre...

Best wishes

Finman

Look at how many it has set in recent years. While it is still a fantastic little round that punches way above what it ought to I'm sorry to say but things have moved on.

I started off in F class shooting a 6BR, and while my performances were ok the following year I used a 7mm.

Hi

Well yes you are probably right, but i like the 6mm case and it give you long barrel life and i don't want to get into a discussion about what is best and what is the in caliber.

I was just looking for some feed back on what your build would be if you want the best parts for this 6mm rifle build.

Regards

Andy

Barrel 28 inch bartlin

stolle action

Kelbly Trigger

Stock (take your pick)

buy loads of Varget and high Bc 6mm heads and get to the range and shoot and shoot and shoot after a few seasons you might get a look in with the medals.

Nothing wrong at all with a BR , just needs a very good Driver.

Barrel 28 inch bartlin

stolle action

Kelbly Trigger

Stock (take your pick)

buy loads of Varget and high Bc 6mm heads and get to the range and shoot and shoot and shoot after a few seasons you might get a look in with the medals.

Nothing wrong at all with a BR , just needs a very good Driver.

Thanks for info

Andy

Hi Dan

Yes i could be interested in it send me as much information on the rifle as you can,

• barrel make and length,
  • action,
  • trigger,
  • stock,
  • Age,
  • number of rounds been shoot. etc etc
  • lots of close up photos
  • and a price,

Thanks

Andy

ps tried to send the as private post but think your post box may be full

Hi

Sorry to mess people about just checked my FAC and thought i had a spare slot for a 6mm but my spare slot is for a 308 so i am now on the look out for a good f/class 308

Again sorry for my mistake.

Andy

Hi

Sorry to mess people about just checked my FAC and thought i had a spare slot for a 6mm but my spare slot is for a 308 so i am now on the look out for a good f/class 308

Andy

Andy

You could just get it swapped 1 for 1, it shouldnt cost you anything apart from the risk of how long it might take!

My renewal is 5 weeks overdue :blush:

Andy

You could just get it swapped 1 for 1, it shouldnt cost you anything apart from the risk of how long it might take!

My renewal is 5 weeks overdue :blush:

Sorry to go off topic I thought Lincolnshire firearms was taken over by G4S ( or have i got my wires crossed ) for the next 10 years, if so i would have hoped they'd try hard to improve things. we've just sent back our shotgun renewal to Hertfordshire firearms not due till May and have heard rumors of 3 month wait and as for our FAC they've cashed the cheque weeks ago left voice mails no response :rolleyes::angry:

Sorry to go off topic I thought Lincolnshire firearms was taken over by G4S ( or have i got my wires crossed ) for the next 10 years, if so i would have hoped they'd try hard to improve things. we've just sent back our shotgun renewal to Hertfordshire firearms not due till May and have heard rumors of 3 month wait and as for our FAC they've cashed the cheque weeks ago left voice mails no response :rolleyes::angry:

Boo

Hasn't actually happened yet, but you're correct.

As for improving things it's not likely to get much worse I don't think it's the teams fault in as much as they're woefully under staffed for a big rural county, the last estimate I had was a 6-8 week delay for my renewal and I only do target so there is no land issues.

Alan

Hi

Andy

To be honest if I was looking to spend a wad of money, I would have a long hard think of what I really wanted.

Not switching my choice just because I had a spare slot.

As they say act in haste repent at leisure!

Much easier to have a variation than to change an expensive mistake.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

Yes G4S are taking over but not at the moment the last time i put in for a one for one i took three months and i have heard they are taking even longer now.

I have been offed an RPA Rangemaster in 308 how would this do in F/Class was thinking of changing it for a 6.5 47 or 6.5 55 don't really which one to go for but keeping my mind open to other calibers.

Andy

Boo

Hasn't actually happened yet, but you're correct.

As for improving things it's not likely to get much worse I don't think it's the teams fault in as much as they're woefully under staffed for a big rural county, the last estimate I had was a 6-8 week delay for my renewal and I only do target so there is no land issues.

Alan

Hi Alan

Yes i know most of the team that work there and yes they have a very big area to look after and a very small team to do it.

I have always got on well with the Fire arms Department and they are always very helpful and friendly.

They come to our range BBQ every year so i know most of them personalty

They are located just up the road from me, i hope they don't lose there jobs.

Andy

Hi

That's two for 284 caliber,

What is the recoil like would it need a muzzle brake on, what would be the barrel life and what parts would you use for the build and who would you go to to build it.

Thanks

Andy

Its F class, forget the muzzle brake.

Recoil is subjective, but I would put it similar to a .308.

Single shot action, Bat, Stolle, Valkyrie, Stiller, Barnard etc

Barrel 30-32 inches 1-9 or 1-8.5 twist

Stock, Precision rifle and tool low rider, Shehane tracker, McMillan F class or Manners, or maybe a UK clone of the PR&T (speak to Dorg?)

Do your homework on who to do the work and then speak to them about what parts they recommend.

Go for a straight 284 as the barrel life will be 2000 rounds plus. Dies are easy to obtain as are bullets.

I use a 284 Shehane which is blown out but not by much at all. I use a BAT action with a Tooley MBR stock with a Truflight barrel and topped with a Nightforce scope but weighs about 20lb so recoil is nothing to worry about.

You do not need a Shehane or wildcat and a mate of mine Les Holgate just uses the straight 284 for his F class shoots and does very well (especially after a beer and curry run in Uppermill near Diggle).

The choices of stocks/barrels/actions/gunsmiths are limitless and depends on the depth of your wallet as to selection.

Regards

Les

Archived