Long range deer / varminter.

Finished this baby the other day. :)

The brief was to build a long range deer rifle capable of culling animals across clear fell in Scotland. The ethics are not my concern, humanely killed animals are.

Not wanting the recoil of an Ultramag, i suggested the customer had a look at .284 Win. With the plethora of good bullets available now , i think it was a good choice.

IMG_1124.jpg

This is a Valkyrie single shot, tight toleranced action. It has a 20 moa rail and a Diamond fluted bolt , and multi faceted bolt shroud. Purely for looks.

IMG_1130.jpg

The barrel is a Bartlien gain twist 1in 9" ish....finished at 30" , threaded 18mm x 1 and finished with a Jet-z sound mod.

IMG_1128_crop.jpg

Trigger is a Jewell , and the barrelled action is pillar and devcon bedded into the new McMillan thumbhole stock, which has just come out, and very nice it is too.

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1132.jpg

The rifle has yet to be fitted with a quality bipod, and Nightforce sight.

Its no carry gun , designed purely for a landy bonnet.

My "F" class action is coming along nicely, and will look very similar, but have a .750" diameter bolt, M14 style extractor , and a fixed lug. My own personal one will also be right bolt, left port, which is an available option on any of my actions.

Do you really like the "A-Hole" Stock? I had one down here on approval and couldn't get on with it, but i suppose for some people it fits better than others, a bit of a marmite stock.

Looks good.

Certainly a good choice of caliber, was it done for a particular bullet?

Will the barrel and action be painted? not that there's much chance of the sun glinting off the metal work in Scotland :lol:

What are your thoughts of the new McMillan? looks like a thumb hole A5/A3 clone?

I think once the customer gets home [he,s on a ship , snotting somali pirates :lol: ] he will want it painting. I would. Its gonna stand out like a sore dick on the hill i think.

I do like the Mac. Its an aquired taste though, and feels odd first time round.Its certainly stable on a bipod.

Looks good.

Certainly a good choice of caliber, was it done for a particular bullet?

Will the barrel and action be painted? not that there's much chance of the sun glinting off the metal work in Scotland :lol:

What are your thoughts of the new McMillan? looks like a thumb hole A5/A3 clone?

The forend is certainly A3 Ian. Not sure how to describe the back end ? Its completely different to any thumbhole i,ve used before. Its fairly tight on large hands like mine.....but not TOO tight....comfortable is probarbly a better description. It doesn,t feel like some whose thumbholes are far too large.

The chamber is standard minimum spec SAAMI, not throated for anything particular.

• 3 weeks later...

As a stalker myself,although I think it is a fantastically made rifle I would definitely require more than the single shot,after all with a long shot you are more likely to need a follow up.I would love the rifle though Baldie,it is a cracker as always.

Martin

Having had this same opinion in the past I can refute your thoughts.

slow is fast, when it comes to anything under stress just stop rushing. Stress causes you to fumble.

Back off and don't think. Concentrate about reloading and not the target. Be it paper or quary, when you take aim either way the circumstances will have changed and an adjustment required.

I wont be without a 6mmbr or a single shot rifle on the future.

T

• 6 months later...

Beautiful looking rifle Dave.

I am intertested about the choice of .284, as I have recently acquired some new ground and I will have to take long shots at well fed lowland Red deer because the lack of cover makes it very difficult to get reasonably close to the animals.

For a flat shooting round with more than ample knock down power I was thinking of one of the WSMs, whether .270WSM, 7mmWSM or 300WSM, or even 6.5 x 284.

Would you regard the .284 as having an advantage over the four cals listed above?

Cheers,

@ novice, it would be flat shooting enough I reckon, Dave is building something similar for me at the moment except it only has a 29" barrel :lol: Shoots pretty well by all accounts too if you look at the post in the Ballistics section!

In all seriousness some of my fallow ground is not flat (undulating downland) but does have huge fields so longish shots are the norm however what I would say is that you do have time in these situations so lazer flat shooting is not a necessity. In my case I normally set my self up in a quiet corner and wait to see what happens knowing through previous visits where deer are likely to show. I have reference points that I know in the fields yardage wise and also a range finder with me and drop chart to hand. It is rare that I would have to take a shot where I need to dial to be honest it's more of adjusting aim still on the body but I have done it a few times and it has been successful. I would point out at this point that I am there to cull the animals not for a 'sporting stalk'

For what it's worth that was with my 7 mmm Rem Mag(only 24" barrel) and I think my .284 will comprehensively out perform it in both accuracy and ballistics terms primarily due to quality of build and barrel length respectively. I will be developing a specific deer load for it (probably around a 140 grain bullet) alongside a high bc bullet target load as I will also be shooting the rifle in F class too, certainly with my club and perhaps I might try a few league shoots :unsure:

all the best

Rich

Beautiful looking rifle Dave.

I am intertested about the choice of .284, as I have recently acquired some new ground and I will have to take long shots at well fed lowland Red deer because the lack of cover makes it very difficult to get reasonably close to the animals.

For a flat shooting round with more than ample knock down power I was thinking of one of the WSMs, whether .270WSM, 7mmWSM or 300WSM, or even 6.5 x 284.

Would you regard the .284 as having an advantage over the four cals listed above?

Cheers,

Hi there, and welcome to the forum . :)

The only advantage the .284 has over the others is barrel life, it will be three times more than the WSM,s. However, good brass is also a consideration which you have in lapua for the .284.

The F class guys like the wsm,s because they are better marginally in the wind. In the real world of deer shooting i would say that advantage is marginal, as you wont be shooting them at 1000 yards. The .284 has more than enough grunt to fell anything that walks in this country.

Its a very easy cartridge to load for, and accepts a wide variety of bullets.

Put simply, the .284 is an easier cartridge all round than any of the wsm,s. You need dedicated actions for the wsm,s there is a fair amount of case prep etc, and the advantages would almost be non existant in a deer rifle. Not so if you wanted it for targets or Africa.

It will do all you want on reds.

@ novice, it would be flat shooting enough I reckon, Dave is building something similar for me at the moment except it only has a 29" barrel :lol: Shoots pretty well by all accounts too if you look at the post in the Ballistics section!

In all seriousness some of my fallow ground is not flat (undulating downland) but does have huge fields so longish shots are the norm however what I would say is that you do have time in these situations so lazer flat shooting is not a necessity. In my case I normally set my self up in a quiet corner and wait to see what happens knowing through previous visits where deer are likely to show. I have reference points that I know in the fields yardage wise and also a range finder with me and drop chart to hand. It is rare that I would have to take a shot where I need to dial to be honest it's more of adjusting aim still on the body but I have done it a few times and it has been successful. I would point out at this point that I am there to cull the animals not for a 'sporting stalk'

For what it's worth that was with my 7 mmm Rem Mag(only 24" barrel) and I think my .284 will comprehensively out perform it in both accuracy and ballistics terms primarily due to quality of build and barrel length respectively. I will be developing a specific deer load for it (probably around a 140 grain bullet) alongside a high bc bullet target load as I will also be shooting the rifle in F class too, certainly with my club and perhaps I might try a few league shoots :unsure:

all the best

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the information. From a quick search of the internet, it looks like the 284 W is only available as a custom built rifle in the UK. Currently a custom built rifle is beyond my means. My current factory built rifle (Mauser) has the option of interchangeable barrels and 6.5 x 284 is offered as a standard barrel for the rifle. So, whilst not in Dave's comment regarding barrel life 6.5 x 284 may be the right option for me at this stage.

regards,

Novice

Hi there, and welcome to the forum . :)

The only advantage the .284 has over the others is barrel life, it will be three times more than the WSM,s. However, good brass is also a consideration which you have in lapua for the .284.

The F class guys like the wsm,s because they are better marginally in the wind. In the real world of deer shooting i would say that advantage is marginal, as you wont be shooting them at 1000 yards. The .284 has more than enough grunt to fell anything that walks in this country.

Its a very easy cartridge to load for, and accepts a wide variety of bullets.

Put simply, the .284 is an easier cartridge all round than any of the wsm,s. You need dedicated actions for the wsm,s there is a fair amount of case prep etc, and the advantages would almost be non existant in a deer rifle. Not so if you wanted it for targets or Africa.

It will do all you want on reds.

Thanks for the info Dave. When I have the funds for a custom build I will certainly bear this in mind. For time being I have to stick with a factory produced option and as such a 6.5 x 284 may be the way for me to go because the Mauser rifle I use has an interchangeable barrel and 6.5 x 284 is available as standard. So too is the 7 x64 and the performance does not appear to be so far behind the .284W.

regards,

Novice

Thanks for the info Dave. When I have the funds for a custom build I will certainly bear this in mind. For time being I have to stick with a factory produced option and as such a 6.5 x 284 may be the way for me to go because the Mauser rifle I use has an interchangeable barrel and 6.5 x 284 is available as standard. So too is the 7 x64 and the performance does not appear to be so far behind the .284W.

regards,

Novice

The 284 is indeed popular in fclass/1000 BR,it's enough but shootable,especially as the Shehane wildcat.It was a failure commercially in the only rifle made for it (win 88 lever),but is still a decent 7mm.It is though no better,as a deer option, than the 280 rem,which is available in factory rifles,let alone the 7 Rem Mag,which is rightly popular with those who (think) they need a bit extra.Factory loadings give the 7Rem Mag about 200 fps advantage,and there is wide choice,including the heavier bullets.A custom rifle will probably improve accuracy-though none of these has an inherent sporting rifle accuracy problem,and a longer barrel might just about bring the others up to par with a standard (24 inch) 7 Rem Mag.The realistic step up is something like the 7 STW,or of course,7 Weatherby,but those bring their own costs.Seldom are there no choices!And any marginal differences in terminal effects,within similar chamberings, are more in the heads of shooters than the bodies of deer.But shooter confidence is important,so go for it if you so wish!!

gbal

If you can get a barrel in 7 x 64 for your Mauser, thats what i would go for. Lovely cartridge, and nice to shoot.

I,m seeing a real resurgence in both 7 x 64 and .280 rem being asked for in custom sporter of late.

Archived