Do you dial in MOA , Mils, cm clicks

londonhunter

like dave said i think most shooters use moa scopes i know my big smid is 1/8 ups and 1/4 windage i dont have any problems with that when i shoot comps at diggle you know the range your shooting anyway so no rangefinder or measurements with mildot scopes needed when long range plinking then i would use rangefinder make my adjustments and shoot i know when i have been on sniper courses they do like to show you how to work out distances with the scope but i must be honest i have never really gone down that road

I know that its possible to range with mildots etc but you must surely have a steadier hand than I to do so with any great accuracy! Would it be fair to say that this is mainly a military activity and that most civilian shooters will either know the range or use a rangefinder?

+1 with skany, i dont range with a reticle, nice idea and fun if your just messing around but im probably the same as a lot of guys on here looking for first round hits, therefore its worth being as accurate with measurements of distance and wind as possible.

Funnily enough im a child of the metric system but really prefer MOA. It makes so much sense especially after studying navigation. Saying that, ive just bought a pair of geovids which are im M, not YDs so am biting the bullet and changing my data to M, not YDS. The scope (PM2 5-25) is in mils and midot reticule anyways..

On another note, ive got 2 5-25s, one in FFP and one in SFP. I much prefer the SFP because the reticle is much finer on high magnifications and if your holding wind/elevation, you can do it on full power whereas on FFP you sometimes need to wind down the mag. The FFP on high mag feels 'clumsy'. Its only my personal feeling tho.

I use the 5-25s for all of my CF shooting, they are a great bit of kit, if a little heavy.

Any one used a Horus reticle if so thoughts please.

Also if you have a good ladder reticle an drop chart do you dial on your turrets or use the ladder and just dial windage

less fuss and in a comp if you know your drop,not forgetting to wind on/off as you move distance.

Dave my brother in law is a tool maker only 34 and moves between metric and imperial as he works making jigs for aircraft depends if it's

to European spec or American.

PS he loves this

Also if you have a good ladder reticle an drop chart do you dial on your turrets or use the ladder and just dial windage

less fuss and in a comp if you know your drop,not forgetting to wind on/off as you move distance.

Dave my brother in law is a tool maker only 34 and moves between metric and imperial as he works making jigs for aircraft depends if it's

PS he loves this

Thats an amazing video, enjoyed it, god knows how long it took to program.

Thanks, Dan.

PS he loves this

Hi Dave,

I have had a few scopes through the workshop with Horus reticles. My personal opinion is that they are ok if you have plenty of time to work out an aiming solution but that they are complicated and distracting unless you are totally familiar or 'schooled' in their use. They appear to me to represent another attempt to substitute technology for skill and experience. Don't forget that they were originally marketed with a 'palm pilot' and dedicated software, not the sign of a user friendly system,

Cheers

Alan

Hey all,

I'm looking to get a rifle scope that will get me out to 1000yds with my .308. Sightron have some pretty good reviews and are very much within my budget. As I understand it, it'd be best to get a scope with a Mil-Dot reticle and 0.1mRad adjustments or a MOA reticle and 1/4MOA adjustments, correct? The main difference being that milliradians are Metric and MOA is Imperial..?

I've been told a 6-24x50 would suit out to 1000yds, is that correct?

Thanks for the help!

Pounds shilling and pence,, any day :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

This is the way i look at it????

Baldie hit it on the nail,mills are To coarse an adjustment,,,

Rabbits at very long range need fine adjustments to be able to hit them,,

My big shmidt has 1/8 elevation and 1/4 wind,,

Works for me B)

Wait for it,,,, incoming

My only MOA scope is a Nightforce, which I use on my F Class rifle.

I only chose the NF because of the reticule set up, it aligns perfectly with the target boards at 1000 yds.

All my other scopes are MIL ajust and Mildot ret.

I suppose im lucky, I can get my head around both systems.

I use neither for ranging.

I find it easy to use the MIL system in sporting applications.

Example, I was stalking last monday morning, dropped on to a parcel of reds at circa 250 mtrs.

Simply put, I needed .9 mil dialled in to my scope for the first hind.

Wind was gusting 5mph L - R so at that range a 3 three inch deviation.

I turned the elevation 9 clicks, and windage 3 clicks left.

The hind dropped where it was shot.

The others moved and stopped near an obstacle giving me enough time to re range and re ajust the scope (for 275 mtr target)

Another three clicks on the elevation (windage unchanged)

And another hind dropped without any fuss in the space of 30 seconds.

No drama, no fussing with losing where you are in the dial.

Easy, effective and dead simple. (MILS)

STOP , BE careful want you order , in reguards a Bender PMII .

To me , they are in the main a FFP scope , HAVING said that , DONOT miss match your scope reticle & knobs .

I would advise that you go with what ever you are happy with , ie moa or mil , and get it with BOTH reticle & knobs in same same .

Donot get a PMII , FFP , & mix them , ie with a P4F ( Mil ) reticle , and 1/4 moa knobs , as its is retarded , and IF you every at some day want to sell IT , NO one will want it , unless they are stupid .

As to 1/4 moa & 0.1 mrad ( mils ) and there courseness .

1/4 moa = 0.25 inche , and 0.1mrad = 0.358 inche at 100yrds .

So is the 0.1 mil courser , yes , but not excessively so , its still much finer than 1/2 or 1 moa clicks .

Also be aware that S&B now makes moa reticles , so you can go , moa/moa on their scopes .

I also would advise you look at the 4-16x50 model over the 3-12x for your application .

I am old enough to be brought up using both imperial & metric , just as easily , and even as the base 10 metirc system is easier than fractions etc , both have plus and minuses , the minus with std 0.1mrad clicks is that they are too course for ELR ( extended long range , ie past 1,5k ) , but their are some scopes with 0.05 mrad clicks , which are much finer than the 1/4 moa .

Me I favour S&B PMIIs , and maybe the new Zeiss/Hensoldts , and maybe the NF beast ( if its ever available )

NXS SFP , are a lot of bang for the buck , but glass is not up to the German std , that is rumoured to change on the Beast , however , NF with Zeiss grade glass , NICE , but no free lunch ( for you cheap charlies ) , as they will be priced at Zeiss/Hensoldt prices , ie 3.2k + USD .

Later Chris

Thank you for the good tip

I wonder why not more folks go for the 50x schmidt then ?

I have the 50x schmidt with 1/4 moa clicks and the sport ret. I agree with Dave's comments that it just doesn't do it past 35 mag and sometimes when shooting a comp I need to go lower than 12 to get in all the target or snap shooting at shorter distances.

Having said that I love the zero stop and the ret is simple but still allows me to adjust as it's in moa and I can quickly find the target.

Archived