custom sako 75

Hi steeker59 .........

Very sorry to hear that you had bad results with that rifle , could of been one that " slipped " the net so to speak!!!

I have a friend who had a lothar -walther barrel and although it was a lengthy run-in period it was still a good shooter!!!

Good luck on your new purchase and please let us know how you get on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Just a little thought on the Sako 85 , i don't think it is as nice a build as the Sako 75!!!!!

All the best........................

RAY......................................... :D;)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread this, chaps. I thought I'd contribute to it a bit:

a) Remington rifles are expensive for what they are and, as we don't pay US prices for them, the European shooter will turn to brands which offer similar if not better performance for the money. My CZ .17HMR prints 3/4 inch groups after 2000+ rounds and did so from day one.

:lol: if a remington could match the performance of a Sako/Tikka out of the box, people would probably look at them as favorably as they do the Finnish brands.

Attached a picture of a target i shot with my 6.5x55 SE with a Sako 75 Hunter, with no modifications whatsoever, not even touching the trigger weight.

post-114-1197652046_thumb.jpg

Pat, you can get in a state about Remingtons, but I will echo the sentiment expressed in this topic: they lack the finish and definitely the performance of european brands. Hence, if I am faced with the option of getting a Remington and then spending as much again to customise it, I think I shall pay less if I buy a Sako.

Best wishes,

Finman

PS: apologies for the picture quality.

The new innovations on the Sako 85`s (controlled feed & mag release) seem to have solved problems that never really existed in the first place but I suppose that there needs to appear to be some radical changes when pushing a new model :lol:

Some folks prefer the straight stock which is surely aimed at the American market rather than our traditional european liking of monte carlo types but is always a bonus for the left handed shooters and I believe Sako are offering the more traditional stocks as well

One things for sure the quality and build doesn`t seem to be of the 75 standard but it doesn`t seem to have affected the legendary out of the box accuracy ;)

I know I`d be happy to have a custom rifle built around any of the actions up to the 75 :D but I`m not so sure about the latest offering :lol:

This thread is all over the place, lots of different topics and some spicy exchanges as well – fantastic. I just have to chip in:

At the risk of getting sandbagged I would also offer my opinion that Remington centrefires are not usually the best option in the UK. They are expensive relative to other makes and are generally not as well finished. There are suggestions also that the steel is not as good quality as some others and the result is that if you spend the extra and get the action blueprinted the lapped lugs will not stay in perfect engagement after a couple of thousand rounds of wear. Similarly the quality and design don’t make the 700 the stiffest action around and the angled engagement surfaces of the trigger have disadvantages.

Having said all that the things usually shoot way better than they are supposed to and I would not discount any shooter armed with one. It seems the me that they are mainly aimed at the hunter who will take a couple of deer a year, for which they are perfect positioned in the US market. If I were living in the US with all of the aftermarket stuff available for Remingtons I guess they’d look an attractive option.

There we are, that’s the dangerous bit over.

On to RPAs.

I am a very lucky man because I have four RPAs and they all shoot exceptionally well. I love them (There might be a bit of redundancy in that comment as it’s pretty obvious that someone with four likes them).

The first one I bought is in 22-250 and uses the McMillan Lazzeroni stock like Ray’s. I think it’s one of those love/hate stocks with few people in the middle ground. For me it’s comfortable and the way it looks gives me goosepimples.

The second one is in 22BR and wears a McMillan A5 stock and, like the 22-250, shoots tiny groups. The other two are repeaters in AI stocks. One is a 308 and the other in 260 Remington (see, I’m not biased against Remingtons). Barrels are all cut-rifled, two by Border and two by Kreiger.

On to Sakos.

For years Sakos have been a premium brand with a well-deserved reputation for quality and accuracy. Since Beretta took over Tikka/Sako they seem to have value-engineered the products. I imagine they borrowed a shed-load of money to buy Tikka/Sako and guess they need to sweat the business to squeeze cashflow and repay the banks. When quality slips it takes some time before people notice, that’s what brands are all about. A friend bought one of the last Sako 75s in 222 Remington (see, Remington again) and it was truly awful and has been sent back. From what I see of the latest T3 Tikkas and Sako 85s they are no longer the sort of object you covet. If manufacturers forget that firearms are not all about function but are objects of desire they will risk losing loyal shooters.

Just my views.

Hear Hear Cornishman,

very well said! On that spirit, I think anyone who sells a (treasured) rifle should think again, as it seems that the older the gun/action the better the chances it will perform year on year. Otherwise, the way these manufacturers are going, we better all start thinking of gunsmithing as a profession, since we all are going to be going the custom route, sooner or later :-))

best wishes,

Finman

Hi cornishman nice to see you still here enjoying things!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

May i quote you...............................

The first one I bought is in 22-250 and uses the McMillan Lazzeroni stock like Ray’s. I think it’s one of those love/hate stocks with few people in the middle ground. For me it’s comfortable and the way it looks gives me goosepimples.

May i say on that comment.................... " OH YEA BABY!!!!" like you i love the design and feel , but my RPA Lazeroni stocked 6.5-284 just loves to be shot of the bipod!!!!!

As for rifles - its just a personal taste but i got to admit i love accurate rifles!!!! :D :D

All the best......................

RAY.............................................. :D;)

Choices, choices, choices,

had I the means, all my rifles would be based on repeating BAT actions, either Mac or Manners composites and sport cut rifled 5 r form barrels.

As it is, I have to "make do and mend" (well I used to) and have to say that the Remingtons I have are all shooters - they were before I had them "doctored" but continue to be now several pounds later.

Its intersting to see the comments reflected by others about the current Sako / Tikka fare - for my money, the old 595 / 695's and Sako 75's were very well put together , no longer I fear.

Whats left?, Howa, yup, good out the box, but the stocks?,,,,,,hmm

Steyr - great, if youre a traditionalist (sorry chris, yours looks miles better in the Mac - whcih takes us back to paying more over standard)

Mauser - again lovely weapons, but too good for rough and tumble playtime.

Cz / BRNO - lovely chuck abouts, that also require fettling to get the best out of (read into that opening barrel channels and polishing trigger sears.

RPA - again lovely rifles - shame about the stocks (robertson - too shiny for my taste)

Which leaves us with customs.....and the world is literally your oyster.

You either accept that a factory rifle will be a compromise over what you really want or spend a bit more and get something to your exact spec and have no regrets..

JMHO

Guest varmartin

Hi Cornishman.

I must agree with you regards the stunning RPA rifles...don't own one but have had the privilege to shoot several, from .222 .223, 6mmppc in various neck sizes, 6mmBR`s, 243 ackley and a rather nasty 6.5-284 ( for the varmints anyway ) and every single one of them has made me grin from ear to ear. :lol:

When I first clapped eyes on one they were in the region of £1600.00, I could not afford one at the time so bought a bog standard Remington 700VLS in .243 win. £ 500.00 cash at the time from Rommel...which has now gone through various stages of customisation.

First mod ...Jewell trigger.

resizewizard1ll4.jpg

I had lots of fun with this rifle firing heads from 58Vmax to 105 Amax and a few match heads in between.

I would also like to add this rifle and 58Vmax hold my current personal distance record of 642 yard on a bunny.

Prior to this I had a 478 yard kill with Varminters 243 Ackley RPA......We had a lot of fun that day :lol:;)

I was considering purchasing my first RPA a while back but just could not stretch to the elevated price increase of over £2400.00.

Instead I took a giant leap into the unknown and sent my Remmy off to Russ Gall for him to work his magic.

I had a full action blue print, bonded single shot follower , Dave Kiff bolt / firing pin assembly, Holland recoil lug,

24"Kreiger 6mmBR Norma chambered barrel that is 0.9" at the muzzle with an invisible thread cap.

All for a very reasonable £1100.00 this also included some stock work to allow that huge barrel to fit the VLS stock...

I had it throated for 105 Amax but found it just loves 95 Berger VLD`s..

Custom Rem 6mmBR VLS

resizewizard1ljx3.jpg

I am absolutely over the moon with this rifle and if i do my bit it will put in `onehole groups` @100 yards

655 yard group....95 Bergers @ 2950

resizewizard1ow9.jpg

I also have a lovely Sako 75 .223 1~8 twist that I have modified the pistol grip and pillar and synthetic bedded.

This is the last of the `Good uns` as they are started to be known.. :D

This rifle has shown me some 0.8 " groups @300 with 70 Berger LTB and 65 JLK`s.

resizewizard1sakofj8.jpg

Martin

Before i start im not slagging a brand here:-)

But my mate had a remmy sps which was utter toilet from the word go!

I hated everything about it to be hones stock was floppy/trigger crap/bolt looked like a bit of water pipe & the list of things not to like went on!

best group was around 1/1/2 & a bit of a lucky group id say as well!

must have put £120 of ammo thru it to find out it was that crap aswell:-(

BUT ive also seen a remmy 700 shoot bug holes at a range so they do make a acurate gun but must like other companys have a bad day at the office:-)

the said sps has now long gone to be replaced with a sako 75 whic is very acurate and shot 1/4 @ 110 yds with 95g factory silver tips!

Cant get near that yet with 70g noslers but i hear they hae quite long throtes so may have to mess with coal some more!

my savage has got it beat on acuracy(savage 12 222 50) & has put groups under 1" @300yds & i would say looks/feels better built then the remmy altho its a right clunker of a action still!

The sako is awsomely screwed together & a absolute bargain s/h

RPA's are they a like a factory custom rifle?I saw several at sportsmans & thought you could have a full blown custom built for less if you played ur cards right!

cheers Andy

This meandering thread is interesting. We’re now talking about what makes rifles good to possess and I think we focus too much on the name on the side of the action. If a ‘tweaked’ rifle is made up from all sorts of bits, like yours Martin, is it still a Remington? Why isn’t it a Kreiger? Or a Jewell? Whatever, you’ve taken it from rough diamond to the full cut sparkler – nice.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I’m not so sure. For me it’s mostly about tactile qualities: The rifle has to feel right in my hands, the grip, the trigger, the balance, the fit all have to be right and I’m not too fussed how it looks. To remain in my gun cabinet long term the feel comes second only to function.

By function I mean fitness for purpose. I want my gun to be a partner in my shooting trips whether it’s competition or in the field. In other words it enables me to build memories. Thinking back to some of those most treasured shooting memories they were often trips with beat-up guns. My first rabbiting gun was an old Anschutz 22LR that cost £75 including scope and I shot hundreds of bunnies with that old nail and loved it to bits.

I mentioned that a friend had bought a duff Sako 75 and in looking for reasons why it wouldn’t shoot I had a good look over it and there were some real rough edges. I suspect that the manufacturing costs were too high for the model to remain profitable and in the months before the introduction of the 85 that standards slipped a little. That’s a pity because the gun had so much going for it and now it doesn’t justify the premium price in my view. I’d rather buy an older rifle (older 75 or a Tikka 595) and rebarrel it for a cheap custom. I suspect the stainless versions of these actions will remain in demand for many years.

Guest 308Panther

Streeker,

You didnt offend me,as I hope that you have not taking an offense as well.

We are adults and we are having a conversation.

We have expressed views,and opinions in a constructive manner.

I wouldnt call it locking horns,.....

This is after all the internet.Things can be taken out of context easily enough.

I undertand that and do try to take alot of things with an open mind and

a "grain of salt".

You really wanna see things get interesting...Bring up the subject of,and I have to

whisper this,so break out the specs if ya need too.....(mods). Boy things really wake up then. :lol:

The firearms industry as a whole literally is becoming more and more fragile every day.

Not just your country,Mine as well.

Many in your country feel that because we have the 2nd Amendment its

an automatic "Hands Off"' in regards to guns.

This isnt always the case.

Brady bill for example....even tho certain parts of it are expired,some parts are still in effect.

To the Anti's its nothing more than a Big Stone that if they chip away at long

enough will crumble and fall.

Money,even from a Secondary market,still supports our 2nd Amendment.

Even tho I am aware of a better made product made from

another country.

I will gladly defend any firearm made here in the U.S.

with the same amount or almost the same amount of enthusiasm,

as its those that keep me and others here free.

Far as that goes I would be willing to defend almost any gun from

any country ....

Just for the reason its a gun,and it may be keeping someone

else free,keeping their family safe,or putting food on their table.

I may not run out and buy one.And more than likley wouldnt.

But its still a gun.

And before I forget...Thanks for the link on the Win 70.

I did know about those about a month and a half ago.

It will be interesting to see how many retailers in my neck of the

woods add them on.

308Panther

The one thing i admire about America, and American,s in general, is the simple fact that they will support their own manufacturers and products above all else. Whether you agree with it or not, it has kept all their industries going all these years and their steel industry etc, is not in the state ours is, or was, as its virtually now dissapeared.Yep, the USA is a pain in the butt to deal with commercially, but thats because they have a lot of laws in place to protect their own interests, if we had been more like that, our country, and industries would not be in the shitty state it is now, where the only industry worth being in, is selling overseas homes to brits, and that is absolutely booming.

If the wife would go [and she wont] i would be out of here like a shot.

If the wife would go [and she wont] i would be out of here like a shot.

I`ve pleaded with my wife to move abroad...................................................................then I`d have more room for my shooting gear at home and have more time and money to go stalking.Just as long as she left the dogs :lol::lol:;)

+1 for emigrating, had I the means, I would be off,,,,like a shot to USA, Canada or NZ.

+1 for emigrating, had I the means, I would be off,,,,like a shot to USA, Canada or NZ.

Yea buddy , you could get your timberwolf more easily then!!!! :lol: :lol: ;):D :D

All the best bud................................

RAY.............................................................................

.. :D :D

Re the TW - inroads already being made mate.

Have arranged price, just need to sort out export permit and shipping costs (may be cheaper to fly over and collect)

He he he - oh and there are several "on the shelf" so there would be no wait......except for paperwork :lol:

Re the TW - inroads already being made mate.

Have arranged price, just need to sort out export permit and shipping costs (may be cheaper to fly over and collect)

He he he - oh and there are several "on the shelf" so there would be no wait......except for paperwork ;)

So looking good there Ronin , shall look forward to seeing how it turns out for you!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;)

All the best.........................

RAY............................... :D;)

Guest varmartin

Hi Cornishman....if I may quote you......

(Quote.)

This meandering thread is interesting. We’re now talking about what makes rifles good to possess and I think we focus too much on the name on the side of the action. If a ‘tweaked’ rifle is made up from all sorts of bits, like yours Martin, is it still a Remington? Why isn’t it a Kreiger? Or a Jewell? Whatever, you’ve taken it from rough diamond to the full cut sparkler – nice.

Well, I have been thinking about re-naming my rifle, some help may be called for but this is what I have come up with.....

Its now an.....RG Rifles K700 Varmint.

Martrin

Naming your guns! Gahhh, I have to admit that I’ve given most of mine names. I know that sounds, well, girly but if you understand that this is a bit of a laugh, not to be taken too seriously, then it’s no dafter than calling your pet dog Rover or whatever.

Anyway, here’s some of mine…..

Natalie. This is my black, black RPA 22-250 with the Lazzeroni stock. So called after I tweaked a shooting pal. He was newly in lurve and the conversation went something like this:

Me…“What’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?”

Pal, falling right into it…“Well, I’d have to say it’s my girlfriend Natalie”

Me… “My RPA is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. I’ll call it Natalie then”

Some loves turn cold but not mine. Subsequent conversations include “My Natalie only speaks when I want her to”, “My Natalie will still look beautiful in 50 years time”, “Cheap to keep is my Natalie”, “Mine doesn’t moan when I stay out late”,…. You get the picture.

And then there's my 222, Duke (after Duke Nukem 'cos it nukes varmints).

Anyway, Martin, you can’t call name your rifle after the things that went into building it, it has feelings. It needs a proper name. How about running a competition to name it (him/her)?

Cornishman

Guest 308Panther

Naming Guns?

Flashback scenes from the movie "Full Metal Jacket" are coming to mind here. :D

I have one name for all my guns.....Mine !!!!

The name for your guns from this standpoint of course would be.....Yours !!!!

As in....Your free to call it anything you want.

;)

But then too,

If some names like Catherine Zeta Jones,Michelle Pfiefer,Nicole Kiddman, are being used....

It may be time to find a differant hobby?

;););)

308Panther

Guest varmartin

Bloody Hell....never thought I would have to think of a girls name for `HER`... ;) ;)

I am at a loss at the moment, so someone please cut in and I will choose one......anything goes too. ;) LOL

Martin

Dont tempt me buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Good to see you again buddy...............

All the best.......................

RAY................................... :D;)

Archived