scope for a .204

tikkajohn

hi guys,

once again im looking for advice, ive been looking at the following scopes to use on a .204 ruger would it be worth while spending extra on the nightforce or zeiss or would something like the bushnell tactical elite be more than enough. Its uses will be target and varminting foxing etc. atb john

1 Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Tactical

2 Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56

3 Carl Zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x56 FL Illuminated

hi guys,

once again im looking for advice, ive been looking at the following scopes to use on a .204 ruger would it be worth while spending extra on the nightforce or zeiss or would something like the bushnell tactical elite be more than enough. Its uses will be target and varminting foxing etc. atb john

Hello John,

I've got a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 Tactical on my 6ppc and it's a cracking scope so I'm sure it would be ideal for your .204 obviously if you have a big budget then a NF or Zeiss would give you better glass with improved low light capability.

Andy

Hi like andy said if money no problem buy the best you can i have some really expensive scopes but i fitted a nikon sterling target master on my 20tac as a experiment and i am delighted with it for the money i think around £260 worth taking a look at

hi guys,

HI.

i have the zeiss on my 204 and they are a great scope.

I got mine when they first came out but the price has doubled since then.

If you can afford it get one.

Im sure the bushnell would be good enough for your needs and they do seem to hold their value if you decide to upgrade later.

thanks for the swift replies guys, How would the bushnell stand up to repeated dialling in and out does it return to zero perfectly?

Ill review the budget and maybe a secondhand scope may cross my path. john

thanks for the swift replies guys, How would the bushnell stand up to repeated dialling in and out does it return to zero perfectly?

Ill review the budget and maybe a secondhand scope may cross my path. john

I don't dial mine as I have an Archer NV fixed to it so don't shoot it above 200yds (which is my zero) but I'm sure it would dial and return fine, but again if you have a good budget there are better scopes for this like NF, Zeiss, S&B Sightron scopes seem popular with some of the longrange shooters on here and not too expensive.

Andy

hi guys,

Hi John,

I own (or have owned) all three scopes on your list, they are all good. It's really down to what features do you need on your scope and budget. I've been using the Bushnell on my .308 (Rem. 5R Milspec) for about 3 years now with frequent elevation (100-1000 yards) and windage changes with utter reliability,

Alan

Have you considered Swarovski 6-24x50? I have one on my 20BR and does the job very well.

Andy

a good option the Swarovski 6x24x50 as stated.they can be had second hand with target turrets and 1/6th moa clicks for about£800 and the TDS 4 reticule is excellent if slightly thick if you are to do some serious long range shooting.Mcleods of Tain have some very good deals on Swarovski scopes-look up their website.Richard.

a good option the Swarovski 6x24x50 as stated.they can be had second hand with target turrets and 1/6th moa clicks for about£800 and the TDS 4 reticule is excellent if slightly thick if you are to do some serious long range shooting.Mcleods of Tain have some very good deals on Swarovski scopes-look up their website.Richard.

How do the target turrets rate for tracking and repeatability on the swarovski scopes?

I was thinking of either another nightforce or a z6i with ballistic turret on my swift for lamping and crows.

Still undecided after quite sometime thinking.

Not many on here mention the Leupold scopes, but from my experience these have suited me well. The .204 is a great varmint/fox round and I use a vx111 6.5-20 x50 LR Target on mine. When foxing you dont often get too long to make your shot, and I have found that the scope makes really long (for me) shots 300yrds seem like the fox is 100yrds away.I guess what im saying is that it is more than enough for fox and some longer range plinking. I ordered mine from a US dealer for about £475 new. At this price its closer to a budget scope price and a little better perhaps, without going the £1500+ for the S+B,Zeiss or NF. Just a thought.

How do the target turrets rate for tracking and repeatability on the swarovski scopes?

I was thinking of either another nightforce or a z6i with ballistic turret on my swift for lamping and crows.

Still undecided after quite sometime thinking.

tracking and repeatability first rate as you would expect.the Swarovski has better glass than the nightforce as I have tested both but the latters reticule is probably better suited to long range varminting.Remember you are paying a lot more for the Nightforce.Richard.

Don't think you will go far wrong with the bushnell fella and if you ever go down the nv route then thy work a treat with addons unlike my zeiss but you have to respect the glass of the zeiss mines only a conquest but you can get then second hand for sensible money when they come up but you have to be quick they don't hang about

Some great scopes mentioned here for sure. I'd chuck in Sightron too, they are definitively worth consideration. I recently got the 6-24 LRMOA and its a belter of a scope. For sub £1k the glass is up there with my Nightforce. Also have a look at Meopta scopes, I've had a 4-16 tactical for some while, the glass is outstanding and the tracking spot on.

Have you considered Swarovski 6-24x50? I have one on my 20BR and does the job very well.

Andy

I have one, good scope but not a great scope. Not as good as Ziess, nowhere near. As you say it does the job though.

As an aside most of the options the thread started listed had 56mm lens, there is no need for that given good quality lenses, 50mm is more than enough.

A

• 1 month later...

Scopes every now and again this question pops up and always some of the same tripe gets trotted out "my tuppeny hapeny scope is good as , brilliant, clear as a bell blah blah. I wonder if some people by their suggestions have ever looked through a top end scope.

Ziess 6x24x56 very very good glass and scope. Expensive but there are second hand ones around. Well to be honest it's what everyone compares other scopes to isn't it the make I mean

Swaro Z6I do you need illumination? Can't fault the glass one of the brightest clearest scopes I have ever looked through To me the 5x30 would swing it compared to a 6x24 The mark 2 seem a lot better than the mark 1 design wise but I baulk at £2200 could be some second hand mark 1's on the go shortly.

I have the target front parallax 6x24x50 one can't fault it shot it at 24x at night with the lamp not all the time but have done. Shot with it at night without a lamp for a couple of lamp shy foxes in the moonlight result no more lamp shy foxes.

Nightforce 12x42x56 got one very disappointed with the glass quality though they seem to be rectifing this with the beast schot glass and almost unaffordable.

Recently bought an IOR 3x18x42 Schott glass, good optics heavy but in my opinion a very very good scope for the money.

Sightron looked through seemed OK The people buying them are the F class guys good weight decent glass decent price but more to do with weight I think. I am thinking of getting one myself an 8x32

MARCH I'd rather buy a cheaper scope and travel to a lot more shoots with the change. Depends where you look on the web they have their issues as well.

Best advice go look through as much as you can and make your own decision, as always BUY THE BEST YOU CAN AFFORD

One scope that did surprise me for the money was the HAKKO that Brian Fox sells 8x34x56 very very fine reticle and surprisingly clear although it was inside the tent when I looked at it.

Ive decided to go for either the zeiss victory or if a conquest comes up in the mean time.

Im going to spend the least on the actual gun itself looking for a secondhand tikka/sako75 either in .223 or .204 not bothered which,

Just got a deposit on my .17hmr so hopefully get that sold soon thanks for the generous advice guys :)

Archived