Ray Mears Wannabe

brown dog

Hi Matt,

Please don't get too carried away. Did you read in the Telegraph about the poor guy who was found dead in a bothy in Scotland? Apparently his ambition was to live 'off the land' for a year. He went on several survival courses but was found dead after being missing for several weeks, he is believed to have succumbed to hypothermia,

Alan

Hi Matt,

Please don't get too carried away. Did you read in the Telegraph about the poor guy who was found dead in a bothy in Scotland? Apparently his ambition was to live 'off the land' for a year. He went on several survival courses but was found dead after being missing for several weeks, he is believed to have succumbed to hypothermia,

Alan

I guess he either wasn’t paying attention or they weren’t that good. :unsure:

I get the impression that some Civvies think “survival” is a normal operating mode…it isn’t. It’s a full on emergency. It’s when all the planning and preparation has gone tits up. It’s about staying alive long enough to get rescued, or get yourself out of the Sh@t.

what a great dad B)

Thanks fellows :)

Used to do a lot more with them, started way back just with firelighting and toasted marshmallows on big family dog walks, and I've just woken up to the fact that we've all let our attention wander - going to try to rev back up a bit now.

late last autumn debris shelters:

debris.jpg

Think next weekend we'll attempt an open sided debris shelter with a fire :unsure::)

Any mileage in a bushcraft-type sub-forum?

Ive got a weekend bush craft planned for the boy and I in april, two days camping out....

Should be fun.

Looks like youve got it well sorted Matt.

Good on you bd. i think anyone who is able/capable should instill this kind of training into their kids. mine love ratching about in the woods and camping out.

Good idea for a new forum thread. :)

i purchased a ray mears bushcraft knife not long ago from kirby lonsdale which comes with a really good quality leather sheath and striker run the back of the knife along the striker and there is sparks everywhere great knife not cheap but very good quality. only trouble is i cant stop making fires (must see the doctor and get some pills for it)keep up the good work Matt it is great to get back to nature and enjoy the time with the kids.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...

just found this... was out myself with my girls and a friend this weekend up in the lakes..

we set about making a man fire for a bbq'd...

so I get the fire going... my mates chopping word with his nice sharp hand axe.......

shortly thereafter the top part of his thumb was resting on the floor...meanwhile the rest of husband wad still holding the bit of woods...

a rapid exit was made from said lakes to hospital... meanwhile the girls were enjoying toasting marshmallows over the fire as I was ripping the piss out of my buddy driving like a loon...

we get a chainsaw next week....watch this space.

Archived