Fox pro spitfire or mini colibri

happyhunter

Hi folks, Iam new to the forum so hello and a happy new year to all. Just a quick question about the above mentioned digital callers for fox control, which do you fellas rate the best device for foxing? Which has the best/clearest sounds for the job? I've never owned a digital caller and really want one one with a good dog/vixen sounds especially for the breeding season. 90% of my foxing is done on foot on both low and high ground throughout the year . At this time of year when the dog foxs are starting to speak they mainly ignore my distress calls except for the odd hungry vixen and dog fox looking to chase off a lesser male. Would be nice to be able to call back to them to see if I get a reaction instead of following them about (sometimes for hours) until I find the pair (and any onlookers!) and deal with them. At nearly £200 a pop I would be great full for any advice on these digital callers or any others people use. Many thanks.

FOXPRO i,v got a spitfire i,v taken nearly all my foxes with it this year pm (6.5x55) he is selling them and he will load all the mateing calls for you they are running in to them at the min he,s got around 300 sounds for the foxpro even if go bunny bashing i,ll take the fropro out with me just in case////////IAN

Hi folks, Iam new to the forum so hello and a happy new year to all. Just a quick question about the above mentioned digital callers for fox control, which do you fellas rate the best device for foxing? Which has the best/clearest sounds for the job? I've never owned a digital caller and really want one one with a good dog/vixen sounds especially for the breeding season. 90% of my foxing is done on foot on both low and high ground throughout the year . At this time of year when the dog foxs are starting to speak they mainly ignore my distress calls except for the odd hungry vixen and dog fox looking to chase off a lesser male. Would be nice to be able to call back to them to see if I get a reaction instead of following them about (sometimes for hours) until I find the pair (and any onlookers!) and deal with them. At nearly £200 a pop I would be great full for any advice on these digital callers or any others people use. Many thanks.

Hi Happhunter and welcome to the forum, I use a Fox Pro 4 ( I think it is a more expensive version of the spitfire ) it has a remote and works up to 300 meters, I also have a old version of the mini colibri with a few extra sound cards, like you most of my foxing is done on foot while the Fox Pro is an excellent bit of kit you have to think of carrying it. The problem I find is that with rifle, lamp , NV add on unit strapped to my belt where do you draw the line, I used to put some rope on it and put it around my neck but yet again it bang on gates get caught up in thorn trees when getting over fenses, so it is stuck on the shelf in my garage and I only use it for crow calling ( to photgraph them ), at £400 odd quid thats an expensive crow caller. Mean while the mini colibri is always in my jacket and kicks out a really lound sound if you need it to, so for me if I had to choose one it would be the Mini Colibri, by the way I do have numerious others, Jonny Stewart, U caller but to name a few. In my book if you fox on foot then theres only one to go for.

ATB

Mike...

Bill Martz ,Wild life tech unit, made for the US state wild life department .Bill Martz is a wild life sound recordist for the Film and TV industry .

All of his calls are Taken from Target animals in the wild and cleaned up before being put on the caller card used .

Ive used most of the calls on the market but the Wild life Tech call is my choice.

Ive called alot of Vermin with this caller both day and night .

Regards Danny

FOXPRO i,v got a spitfire i,v taken nearly all my foxes with it this year pm (6.5x55) he is selling them and he will load all the mateing calls for you they are running in to them at the min he,s got around 300 sounds for the foxpro even if go bunny bashing i,ll take the fropro out with me just in case////////IAN

Is 6.5x55 still around?. His profile shows his last visit as 2010 (unless I'm reading it wrongly).

Bill Martz ,Wild life tech unit, made for the US state wild life department .Bill Martz is a wild life sound recordist for the Film and TV industry .

All of his calls are Taken from Target animals in the wild and cleaned up before being put on the caller card used .

Ive used most of the calls on the market but the Wild life Tech call is my choice.

Ive called alot of Vermin with this caller both day and night .

Regards Danny

Went out last week with a foxpro unit on a pre buy test run with a guy I know who has one,in an area I thought had only one fox working the area, in 30 minues at one point we had three foxes in the area around me, 2 weren't a safe shot and the other is history now. only used three calls, field mouse and a dog and vixen bark, the mouse was extraordinary, I have been callng foxes in for years and the fury left me in the shadows, sounds right on the money

I was absolutely amazed at the clarity and the remote made life so easy to operate, that even I could manage it.

Needless to say I have just ordered the foxpro fury, and I can't wait to get me mitts on it.

They are a lot of spondulicks,does the job 100%

I've had an FX3 with 32 sounds for quite a few years now and had a lot of success with it, mainly with the usual fox yells but also with a fox distress/rabbit fight which tends to bring dogs in (Only 1 vixen ever with that)

Bought a Spitfire last year so I could run a pair of units and it's smaller and lighter than the FX3 (2 speakers) and will go in a jacket pocket so no worries about carting that about.

Stevienicknacks is selling Foxpros..... just had a look and couldn't find him under that name on here so he may not be a member. But he is on stalking directory (http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/member.php?2819-stevienicknacks)

Worth a pm to see what he's got.

Good bloke to deal with and he's got a load of different calls he can email or provide on cd or download to the unit for you.

That's me

atb

FBW

(and no, I'm not related to him)

B)

Guest 6.5 X 55

Ive been using digital callers and inparticular Foxpro callers for a good few years now adn haev tried the whole range(apart from the crazy loud things the US boys use. Biggest ive used is the Prarie Blaster (too big for the UK). Not seen the Wild life tech unit that dannyt mentioned, would like tos ee one of them. All I can say is that they ahev never let me down and if there is a fox in the vacinity (im talking upwards of half a mile) they will come for a look. Great kit.

Is 6.5x55 still around?. His profile shows his last visit as 2010 (unless I'm reading it wrongly).

yes still about his account was suspended for 12 weeks for advertising new foxpro no here pm me i,v got a contact number for him

Went out last week with a foxpro unit on a pre buy test run with a guy I know who has one,in an area I thought had only one fox working the area, in 30 minues at one point we had three foxes in the area around me, 2 weren't a safe shot and the other is history now. only used three calls, field mouse and a dog and vixen bark, the mouse was extraordinary, I have been callng foxes in for years and the fury left me in the shadows, sounds right on the money

I was absolutely amazed at the clarity and the remote made life so easy to operate, that even I could manage it.

Needless to say I have just ordered the foxpro fury, and I can't wait to get me mitts on it.

They are a lot of spondulicks,does the job 100%

SAY,S IT ALL i,v shoot triple the amount of foxes this year with mine than last year(should have keep count)

Been using the fox pro spitfire vixen call with good results,but can't seem to be able to find the dog fox call anywhere to download,looked on the fox pro website,anyone got any ideas. :)

Guest 6.5 X 55

Been using the fox pro spitfire vixen call with good results,but can't seem to be able to find the dog fox call anywhere to download,looked on the fox pro website,anyone got any ideas. :)

PM your email address mate Ills end you some crackers

Thanks everyone, one fox pro heading my way :)

Good stuff! Just don't get too keen to press the button every couple of minutes... or change the call to something different too quickly, unless they're linked in nature :lol: Been there, done that!

If you can, don't put it directly between yourself and where you expect the fox to appear from......ie in their direct line of sight, they have a habit of picking up on you unless you're well hidden.... and even then. Been there, done that too! :lol:

Have fun!

atb

FBW

Guest 6.5 X 55

Good stuff! Just don't get too keen to press the button every couple of minutes... or change the call to something difference too quickly, unless they're linked in nature :lol: Been there, done that!

If you can, don't put it directly between yourself and where you expect the fox to appear from...... they have a habit of picking up on you unless you're well hidden.... and even then. Been there, done that too! :lol:

Have fun!

atb

FBW

Good advice from FBW. Heres some info I pulled together for using the FP callers.

Getting the best from your FoxPro caller for Foxing

Position

Try to situate your caller a minimum of 100 yards from any headline or tree line. If this is not possible and you have to hang it on a hedge line you need to make sure that you have any entry points covered. If a Fox creeps behind the hedge it could pop out right near the caller, if it does this and you have the caller on loud it is likely to spook the fox and you won’t get much chance to get a shot off before it legs it!!

The range varies on the units between 100 and 300 yards. If you’re in an ambush position and in a large open space then having he caller out at 100 yards plus is fine but make sure you have good visibility all around it at that range. Ideally tie some strong rope or lanyards over the units handle and hang it on a post or something like an electric fence post. In long grass the reception can be affected especially at range. The transmission works much better when raised due up off the ground. If you are walking and calling, position the caller apx 50 yards in front of you. It’s never certain which way a fox will come from but if there is an obvious route try to position the caller to the left or right of where it will come from so that it’s not looking directly at you and the caller when it does appear. If it’s looking to your side the lamp may not have as big a risk of spooking it when side on to you.

If you are in a large field with a low fence in the middle don’t be tempted to hang the caller on the fence. I’ve done this and had a fox coming towards it but can’t get a shot because the fence is in the way. Position the caller 10 yards away from the fence in the same field that you are in then the fox has to come into your field and a clear shot taken.

If you get a fox running at full tilt at the caller (and believe me this does happen more than you would think). If you have followed the above steps you will have plenty of time to turn the caller off using the mute button. The fox will know the location and start sniffing back and too trying to find his dinner. This gives you time to get a shot. If you leave it on the fox will run right at the caller and I’ve even had one try to pick it up in its mouth whilst still running full tilt 9Witnessed by 2 of us). The caller will be too loud at the range and the Fox is likely to get spooked and leg it. The next tie it hears the caller it will be educated, avoid this at all costs.

Which call?

Call choice is obviously key. Always start off with a squeaky quite call, there could be a fox 50 yards away behind a hedge, start off too loud and you could spook it. If it’s out mouseing and it hears a Vole or mouse squeak it will come and have a look. Think about the area you are shooting. Are there rabbits in the area or Hares? Has the game keeper just released Pheasant or partridge or are these birds common in that area? If so start with the right call for the area. Don’t mix calls up and switch to different calls too often. If a fox is coming in to a call all slowly and you can’t see it it may change its mind if it’s tracking a Vole and suddenly hears a loud Chicken screaming its head off. Volume is important, foxes ears are obviously very good so at 100 yards if you can only just hear the call then a fox can hear it much further away. I’ve had a fox come across 4 fields cross a road (watching from above on a hill) and come to the Vole squeaks call which is a very quiet call. Think about the time of year, are the foxes mating? Use a mating call for either a dog or Vixen. Change calls next time you go, don’t use the same ones every time.

Foxbang

For those callers with Foxbang utility you have a new option. This option is ideally situated for the time of year when the vixen is out with cubs. You have the caller set up at the right level for the calibre of your rifle (the caller is activated by the pressure change from the shot). If you are calling and a Vixen and cub appear as soon as you fire a shot the caller will switch to a call present by you and at the volume set by you. The idea being that if you shoot the Vixen and the call switches to a Vixen call the cub should hopefully come back if it has ran off and you don’t need to touch the control. Or vice versa you shoot the cub and have a cub distress call on so that the Vixen comes back. This is new and not something I’ve tried yet but will be giving it a go at some point. I have tried the pressure system with the 22.250 and the call swapped perfectly.

Batteries

It’s advisable to sue powerful Ni rechargeable batteries with your FoxPro unit an always keep a spare set with you (normal batteries can be used as spares) just in case you do run out during a session.

Just got a fox pro spitfire last week.Took it out Friday night.

Started off with the vole and mouse distress,as these are sounds we have never had before.

Watching with NV monocular,It got 1 fox in 1st field ,and another in a different field,later on,to come in for a look.

They didn't go up to call seemed cautious but it was our first field test.

Very impressed,with the unit.

Good advice from FBW. Heres some info I pulled together for using the FP callers.

Getting the best from your FoxPro caller for Foxing

Position

Try to situate your caller a minimum of 100 yards from any headline or tree line. If this is not possible and you have to hang it on a hedge line you need to make sure that you have any entry points covered. If a Fox creeps behind the hedge it could pop out right near the caller, if it does this and you have the caller on loud it is likely to spook the fox and you won't get much chance to get a shot off before it legs it!!

The range varies on the units between 100 and 300 yards. If you're in an ambush position and in a large open space then having he caller out at 100 yards plus is fine but make sure you have good visibility all around it at that range. Ideally tie some strong rope or lanyards over the units handle and hang it on a post or something like an electric fence post. In long grass the reception can be affected especially at range. The transmission works much better when raised due up off the ground. If you are walking and calling, position the caller apx 50 yards in front of you. It's never certain which way a fox will come from but if there is an obvious route try to position the caller to the left or right of where it will come from so that it's not looking directly at you and the caller when it does appear. If it's looking to your side the lamp may not have as big a risk of spooking it when side on to you.

If you are in a large field with a low fence in the middle don't be tempted to hang the caller on the fence. I've done this and had a fox coming towards it but can't get a shot because the fence is in the way. Position the caller 10 yards away from the fence in the same field that you are in then the fox has to come into your field and a clear shot taken.

If you get a fox running at full tilt at the caller (and believe me this does happen more than you would think). If you have followed the above steps you will have plenty of time to turn the caller off using the mute button. The fox will know the location and start sniffing back and too trying to find his dinner. This gives you time to get a shot. If you leave it on the fox will run right at the caller and I've even had one try to pick it up in its mouth whilst still running full tilt 9Witnessed by 2 of us). The caller will be too loud at the range and the Fox is likely to get spooked and leg it. The next tie it hears the caller it will be educated, avoid this at all costs.

Which call?

Call choice is obviously key. Always start off with a squeaky quite call, there could be a fox 50 yards away behind a hedge, start off too loud and you could spook it. If it's out mouseing and it hears a Vole or mouse squeak it will come and have a look. Think about the area you are shooting. Are there rabbits in the area or Hares? Has the game keeper just released Pheasant or partridge or are these birds common in that area? If so start with the right call for the area. Don't mix calls up and switch to different calls too often. If a fox is coming in to a call all slowly and you can't see it it may change its mind if it's tracking a Vole and suddenly hears a loud Chicken screaming its head off. Volume is important, foxes ears are obviously very good so at 100 yards if you can only just hear the call then a fox can hear it much further away. I've had a fox come across 4 fields cross a road (watching from above on a hill) and come to the Vole squeaks call which is a very quiet call. Think about the time of year, are the foxes mating? Use a mating call for either a dog or Vixen. Change calls next time you go, don't use the same ones every time.

Foxbang

For those callers with Foxbang utility you have a new option. This option is ideally situated for the time of year when the vixen is out with cubs. You have the caller set up at the right level for the calibre of your rifle (the caller is activated by the pressure change from the shot). If you are calling and a Vixen and cub appear as soon as you fire a shot the caller will switch to a call present by you and at the volume set by you. The idea being that if you shoot the Vixen and the call switches to a Vixen call the cub should hopefully come back if it has ran off and you don't need to touch the control. Or vice versa you shoot the cub and have a cub distress call on so that the Vixen comes back. This is new and not something I've tried yet but will be giving it a go at some point. I have tried the pressure system with the 22.250 and the call swapped perfectly.

Batteries

It's advisable to sue powerful Ni rechargeable batteries with your FoxPro unit an always keep a spare set with you (normal batteries can be used as spares) just in case you do run out during a session.

Good advice there steve mine comes along everytime i go out foxing top bit of kit

• 3 weeks later...

Good advice there steve mine comes along everytime i go out foxing top bit of kit

Hi Camo

Brilliant write up, Just got my fury this week, all charged up, no where to go, work and the wet weather has called a halt to proceedings until tomorrow night and out friday night rain or hailstorms without fail,

Now the shooting season is all but over , can get to the woods better now to have a clear out.

Good field test coming up, can't wait to get amongst em.

Guest 6.5 X 55

Agreed, they are the business. If your out for hours on end shooting foxes you want to be sure you ahev everything yuo can get to make sure its a success....

Agreed, they are the business. If your out for hours on end shooting foxes you want to be sure you ahev everything yuo can get to make sure its a success....

Couldn't agree more, first run out last night and a nice pair in the bag. The dog and vixen calls used to deadly effect!

Archived