Riflecraft any good?

Tubs

i consider andy a friend and will ask him to clarify the facts for me?

where are you getting your info?

sorry don't understand? from what he did in the army? old memories, he was in 7RHA think he made lance jack cant remember whether he made full screw then after that TA infantry its not a state secret. Yeah ask him, he's got his jump wings from 7 but just a standard 7 bunny, no Reg no pathfinder and no SF the sniping was old TA. like I said its funny how people make assumptions guess you thought different like the bloke i was having a brew with. like I said good luck to him he cant control what people assume people like to sex stuff up.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The plastic AI magazine that was initially fitted failed to feed correctly after only 3 weeks. The plastic lips at the top of the magazine had been machined to feed the Ackley ammo. Unfortunately the lips were substantially weakened to the point that after only a few rounds had passed through them they failed to hold the ammo in the magazine and were spewing the ammo out 2 or 3 at a time.

I contacted sporting services who had a steel AI magazine sitting on a shelf that was modified to suit the longer .223 ammo, I then arranged for it to be shipped to Riflecraft who fitted it to my rifle. It turned out that the new magazine was made by Dave Valkyrie on here and it worked perfectly. (Thanks Dave)

The bottom line here is that the rifle fell well short of what was ordered and expected.

The positives are that I was given a full refund and we are now both happy with the situation as it stands.

you got the wrong quote but no worries,

i'm not a massive fan of plastic magazines in anything , did the rifle work ok once you used the steel mag? it seems a bit extreme to kick the rifle back for only that ? especially if the steel mags fixed the problem?

sorry don't understand? from what he did in the army? old memories, he was in 7RHA think he made lance jack cant remember whether he made full screw then after that TA infantry its not a state secret. Yeah ask him, he's got his jump wings from 7 but just a standard 7 bunny, no Reg no pathfinder and no SF the sniping was old TA. like I said its funny how people make assumptions guess you thought different like the bloke i was having a brew with. like I said good luck to him he cant control what people assume people like to sex stuff up.

i meant where do you know this stuff from ? were you in the forces with him? has he told you?

frankly i'm not bothered what he did in the past, he has built me a number of great rifles (the 308 will never be taken from me) i've never actually asked him what he was in or what he did,it doesn't matter it makes no difference to me.

There were other issues too relating to incorrect throat length.

As stated above, I was disappointing with this rifle,and the overall build quality. I gave them a clear and concise build spec and it didn't come anywhere near what was ordered. The rifle was sent back twice in 3 months for issues relating to the build spec/quality of workmanship and when I was offered a full refund I took it.

I wouldn't recommend them and won't use them again.

oh , sorry about that , custom rifles are very personal things and if you didn't get what you wanted and ordered then i can understand your dissapointment.

i've had five rifles built by riflecraft .223/.243/.260rem/.308/.300rum and i'm delighted with them all and would recommend them and will use them again for my next project which i intend to sort this weekend. (only got rid of the .243 because i think the 243 is marginal on bigger deer in hindsight, and the 260 is just superb)

tight groups and fair winds, Russ :)

i meant where do you know this stuff from ? were you in the forces with him? has he told you?

frankly i'm not bothered what he did in the past, he has built me a number of great rifles (the 308 will never be taken from me) i've never actually asked him what he was in or what he did,it doesn't matter it makes no difference to me.

not bothered but want to clarify the facts with him, Lost me a bit there. its not about me so like you said just ask him, Ive nothing to add just have to make sure Im not having a brew next time someone tells me about thr pathfinder sniper stuff

not bothered but want to clarify the facts with him, Lost me a bit there. its not about me so like you said just ask him, Ive nothing to add just have to make sure Im not having a brew next time someone tells me about thr pathfinder sniper stuff

fair enough , you don't wan't to say where your info comes from.

the point i was trying to make was that his past has no bearing on his ability as a riflesmith ? i know nothing about any of the other riflesmiths on here apart from what i read about how good they are and surely thats what matters?

ATB , Russ

well fellas my sides are splitting now reading theses posts, bloody hell Andrews ears must br ringing red hot .

I havent had much to do with RifleCraft for a few years, But ive spent alot of time in the past with Andrew , Bob and Neil of RifleCraft .

I must say Bob stone who works for them (or used to) is one of the nicest blokes you could ever want to meet and so is Neil.

Both Bob and Neil used to shoot with me on the Shoot i Worked on as Head Keeper (foxing Deer and Vermin control) which helped me out a fair bit, with 20,000 birds to rear and look after , not to say baby sitting a very needy boss my hands were full.

I shot with all the guys at rifle craft and all are very good shots , and hunted in Africa with Neil and Andrew.

so i feel i can say the following .

Can they build good guns =YES

Can Andrew Piss off his paying customers = With ease and is his own worst Enemy, the rest of his staff are realy nice fellas fulltime

Andrew himself is a funny guy at times and some times he can be a ######.

I never have listened to any bodys war stories so i have never let that sort of thing bother me , but ive shot quite a few deer with andrews company and he knows his stuff when out stalking and foxing and shoots bloody strait too.

I think it might be time for every body to remember nobody makes anybody walk through any door. its all your choice .

Danny

PS RifleCraft have built a couple of rifles for me in the past before i started doing my own Gunsmithing and they all shot well .

So far it seems all his mates chipping in with what a top bloke he is seem to include something along the lines of "never listened to what he says about his background and it doesn't bother me anyway" :lol: I think that's interesting in itself <_<

Who does know him as a great mate and can also manage to tell us what their great mate says his background is?!

So far it seems all his mates chipping in with what a top bloke he is seem to include something along the lines of "never listened to what he says about his background and it doesn't bother me anyway" :lol: I think that's interesting in itself <_<

Who does know him as a great mate and can also manage to tell us what their great mate says his background is?!

Just out of intrest wots your Beef with the formentioned , sorry if ive missed it in the other posts?.

I’m not a great mate; neither can I say what his background is.

I have only spoken to him when discussing what I require. He delivered as promised although three months late. The rifle shoots stupidly well. The work is handsomely functional and being a genuine ex regular infantry type, that suites my taste.

The reason I no longer use him is because we agreed a time scale for a re-barrel job on a stalking rifle. Two months after it was supposed to have been finished it had not been started.

I find it strange that people are happy to name and shame on a public web site, but hide behind pseudonyms themselves. Come on guys you’re better than that.

ATB

i like him , i get on fine with him , he's built me some great rifles ,

i make a point of not slagging people off on any forum or taking too much notice of how others slag people off , if you've got a beef with someone man up and go and sort it out?

i do however ask people to justify what they say sometimes as it's too easy on the internet to fire a salvo and not have to answer for it like you would face to face ?

i like him , i get on fine with him , he's built me some great rifles ,

i make a point of not slagging people off on any forum or taking too much notice of how others slag people off , if you've got a beef with someone man up and go and sort it out?

i do however ask people to justify what they say sometimes as it's too easy on the internet to fire a salvo and not have to answer for it like you would face to face ?

No beef at all, would just be stunned if he turns out not to have the sort of sniper background that lots of people including me have been led to believe. Not sure anyone’s been slagged though?! Isn’t this just asking if he was an SF sniper or a TA sniper? Didn’t think that was slagging, that’s a polite and fair question can’t see how getting a straight answer to a straight question is slagging? Ignore me, I’ll just wait until someone to comes out with the answer

No beef at all, would just be stunned if he turns out not to have the sort of sniper background that lots of people including me have been led to believe. Not sure anyone's been slagged though?! Isn't this just asking if he was an SF sniper or a TA sniper? Didn't think that was slagging, that's a polite and fair question can't see how getting a straight answer to a straight question is slagging? Ignore me, I'll just wait until someone to comes out with the answer

Was he on CoD 4

LMAO , :lol:

Didnt think any body would get it so quickly.

I think hes been camping with a Barrat

I can see this becoming a slag fest on personal levels, please don't let it degenerate into one.

+1

I've been moderated, sorry to anyone I've offended

It would be 'fair' if you also moderated the anti Andy posts as well don't you think?

Russ, don't think you offended anyone, it was just getting a bit out of control smile.gif

Not sure I can see anything "anti-Andy". One fellow doesn't like a rifle, fair enough -about another five then leapt in to say they loved theirs! laugh.gif

Quite seperately another fellow has pointed out that the chap's military background is rather different to that portrayed in the shooting press. He also, I thought, went to great pains to say that's probably not deliberate, but rather the result of over-enthusiastic civvies bigging things up. Not sure that that's 'anti' I think that's someone stating the facts as they understand them. unsure.gif

The following example is absolutely not the same as what we’re chatting about here, and is crazy extreme, but serves to make the point that making up military stuff isn’t entirely a barrel of laughs and sandbag dits:

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Police-arrest-fake-captain-Officers-investigate/story-14067555-detail/story.html

I reckon the mods have done a good job removing the personal stuff on both sides of this "debate" whilst keeping it on topic :)

If folks want to get personal with each other do it by pm or preferably do it elsewhere ;)

Right I've had a think and I was out of order everyone , sorry.

To the original post:- phone Andy at Riflecraft and have a chat , then decide what you want to do with your own hard earned?

Russ

I personally wouldn't use Riflecraft again. A few years ago i purchased a NEW .223 Remington VLS from Andrew with a few extra's that i had "spec'd"

A few days later whilst an old retired riflesmith friend of mine was giving it a good look over, he found the bore to be heavily pitted!! :o ....and this a "brand new" rifle!

After phone calls to Andrew and the inconvenience of having to put in for a "variation", the rifle was replaced, albeit with a few "extra's" thrown in, which was fair enough, but should a "brand new" rifle have left the shop without being checked first??......just my experience with them.........oh, and he told me he was a "sniper" in Bosnia ;)

Regards.

Archived