Riflecraft any good?

Tubs

Ive been in contact with another gunsmith in my area about my chamber problem ref other posts and he recomended to phone riflecraft and look on the site for them, Ive tried there website and they seem good but have no prices so is this the sort of place where if you need to ask the price you cant afford it or are they good honest people and not trying to rip you off no offence.As i might need to get a new barrel if they cant fix the chamber problem or should i just get a new rifle.My next problem would be how can i legally get my gun from Cornwall to there gunshop if they can do the work on it, am i allowed to send it in the post?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as an alterntive why not speak to one of the riflesmiths on the site im sure thelll see this and say hello

i had my tikka re barreled at riflecraft.cost about 700 ish for a border barrel fitted.no problems at all with them and the rifle shoots great.on the flip side they were not big on advice ie chamber dimensions ect.next time i would talk to the chaps on here for advice first as i'm sure there are a few who would give better service and advice.not been on here long but bauldie knows his stuff sorry if there are others i have not yet met.getting it re barreled will improve accuracy much better than a new factory rifle.mike

I use Riflecraft and they are great , probably no better than any other top rifle smith but I like them .

Ring them and speak to Andy then decide for yourself ?

Tubs.

My advice to you would be to look no further. Several A grade Riflesmiths post and Advertise on this site. I am sure any one of them will sort you out and will not "lift your leg up".They will guide you through the process.

Look at the Adverts on the main forum page.

Nick.

I

I use them a lot but they are local and I consider Andrew a friend.

Ring and have a chat with him, he will be able to give you a price and discuss things with you. Posting your rifle to them wont be a problem.

As mentioned there are some good guys on here too, check their locations and see if someone is within driving distance. A F2F is always best if at all possible

Mark

Ive been in contact with another gunsmith in my area about my chamber problem ref other posts and he recomended to phone riflecraft and look on the site for them, Ive tried there website and they seem good but have no prices so is this the sort of place where if you need to ask the price you cant afford it or are they good honest people and not trying to rip you off no offence.As i might need to get a new barrel if they cant fix the chamber problem or should i just get a new rifle.My next problem would be how can i legally get my gun from Cornwall to there gunshop if they can do the work on it, am i allowed to send it in the post?

I think they're a bit like marmite people either love them or hate them but to be fair that's true of a bunch of things. The bloke that runs it has somehow got the image of being an ex-pathfinder sniper or something along those lines but it's odd cos he was only ever a sniper in the run of the mill TA and back then TA couldn't get places on reguylar sniper courses. He was a regular in the artillery; it's strange how stuff gets about may not be his fault though, people like to be impressed and think that everyone in the army was Reg. Anyway you quite often hear marmite stuff about their blueprinted rifles shan't repeat any of it here, but I'd say it'd be clever to ask around privately before parting with hard earned just to be happy in your own head.

Thanks once again for the replies, the problem i have is the chamber is pitted and is causing my cases to stick like a good one once shot, and i cant pull the bolt back to cycle the next bullet so its a case of one shot every 5-10mins if im lucky and me getting very peed off with it. Ive spoken to my fire arms head office and they said i need to apply for a variation to get a new barrel so im thinking of just getting a new rifle as from what ive heard its about the same price nearly. Still not 100% sure yet.

Thanks once again for the replies, the problem i have is the chamber is pitted and is causing my cases to stick like a good one once shot, and i cant pull the bolt back to cycle the next bullet so its a case of one shot every 5-10mins if im lucky and me getting very peed off with it. Ive spoken to my fire arms head office and they said i need to apply for a variation to get a new barrel so im thinking of just getting a new rifle as from what ive heard its about the same price nearly. Still not 100% sure yet.

sorry to jump in on this one , I dont know about riflecraft as I haven't had to use them , or anyone else yet but I wanted to confirm that you have to do a variation if you have a rifle rebarrelled???

Is this only if you change calibre?

Andy

Ive spoken to my fire arms head office and they said i need to apply for a variation to get a new barrel so im thinking of just getting a new rifle as from what ive heard its about the same price nearly. Still not 100% sure yet.

Someones got the wrong end of the stick here.You only need to get a variation if you re-barrel in a different calibre.If its just a new barrel send off to a good smith (and I suggest either Mckillop or Valkyre on here) and jobs a good un :)

Someones got the wrong end of the stick here.You only need to get a variation if you re-barrel in a different calibre.If its just a new barrel send off to a good smith (and I suggest either Mckillop or Valkyre on here) and jobs a good un :)

cheers , thats what I thought

Andy

The bloke that runs it has somehow got the public image of being an ex-pathfinder sniper or something along those lines but it's odd cos he was only ever a sniper in the run of the mill TA and back then TA couldn't get places on reguylar sniper courses. He was a regular in the artillery; it's strange how stuff gets about may not be his fault though, people like to be impressed and think that everyone in the army was Reg.

:lol: Thank you for putting that so.....er, delicately :)

Dave,

you got a relative you dont know about.... :)

I wanted to be careful what I said but people should know. I was talking to a smith the other day who mentioned to me that the bloke was an ex-pathfinder and I snorted my tea. I dont know how his image came about maybe by accident mayve on purpose but it wouldn't be fare to call him a waltermitty without knowing whether its deliberate or people just adding 2 and 2 to get 5. So I didn't. His sniping was in one of the Royal anglian volunteer batallions if I remember right and that was back in the days when being a TA sniper was more about who decided to pick up the L96 on weekend camp more than anything else. He was a regular in the artillery before that though so he didn't do any sniping there. Good luck to him, hes made a big business but the para reg sniper thing is not real, but like I say that might not be his doing so good luck to him.

Just to let you all know the gun is a remmy700 223 sps not the police or tactical non heavy barrel version. I was a bit puzzled when the man at HQ said i needed a variation just for a new barrel but he said its part of the gun like a moderator which if you want to change you must also apply for a variation, he then said most people just ask for a new gun in the same caliber and its basic with the paperwork no pics or referees needed just a letter explaining why the change and the application forms job done .

I wanted to be careful what I said but people should know. I was talking to a smith the other day who mentioned to me that the bloke was an ex-pathfinder and I snorted my tea. I dont know how his image came about maybe by accident mayve on purpose but it wouldn't be fare to call him a waltermitty without knowing whether its deliberate or people just adding 2 and 2 to get 5. So I didn't. His sniping was in one of the Royal anglian volunteer batallions if I remember right and that was back in the days when being a TA sniper was more about who decided to pick up the L96 on weekend camp more than anything else. He was a regular in the artillery before that though so he didn't do any sniping there. Good luck to him, hes made a big business but the para reg sniper thing is not real, but like I say that might not be his doing so good luck to him.

Is this info 100%? I thought he was from some sort of SF background.

Just to let you all know the gun is a remmy700 223 sps not the police or tactical non heavy barrel version. I was a bit puzzled when the man at HQ said i needed a variation just for a new barrel but he said its part of the gun like a moderator which if you want to change you must also apply for a variation, he then said most people just ask for a new gun in the same caliber and its basic with the paperwork no pics or referees needed just a letter explaining why the change and the application forms job done .

This is incorrect.

You can take the gun to a gunsmith and have the barrel changed FOR ONE IN THE SAME CALIBRE without a variation. The gunsmith MUST keep the old one for destruction however.If you wanted to keep the old barrel, then yes, a variation for the new barrel would be required.

I had the same trouble with a brand new Rem 700 PSS Sticky extraction not on all rounds and burst primers on others from the start. I knew something wasn't right and called Callum Ferguson for advice. He told me to pop up and he would have a quick look at it as he wasn't too far from me. I was amazed at how quick he took the gun out of the stock and had the barrel out of the action. Looked into the chamber and you could see tooling marks. So much for their quality control. I had no trouble returning it with my local dealer he was as peeved as I was, just the hassle and time delay of doing a one for one variation.

I had a number of issues with Riflecraft over a custom rifle he built for me last year. The rifle did shoot tight groups, but I had a lot of other issues with the rifle that resulted in me getting a full refund from him.

Would I use them again........................No.

Would I recommend him to a friend.............No.

How do I rate Andy's craftsmanship............Poor.

How do I rate his knowledge...................Not the best.

Whats Andy like as a bloke....................Quite amiable.

Whats the company customer service like.......His staff are very friendly and helpful.

Did the rifle shot tight groups...............0.5" groups at 100m easily with custom ammo.

Did the rifle look good.......................Looked very nice.

How did it perform in the field...............Sent back to factory twice in a short period.

Main issue with Riflecraft....................Failed to follow simple design instructions and when the issues were corrected they were botched.

Result........................................FULL REFUND ISSUED.

I would use either Neil Mckillop or Dave Baldie Valkyrie to build any future custom rifles. Would never use them again.

how did it fail in the field?

Archived