Setting you ‘scope mechanical zero.

Davy

I dislike having a mechanical zero that is not the same as my actual zero, by that I mean I mean for me there is nothing worse than winding your elevation turret down to a 100m/200m zero or whatever and knowing there are another 12 clicks to go, in stress situations it is nice to know that if I wind the drum down when it stops it is at my chosen zero. My AI is good in this respect, with the S&B PMII and a 28 minute rail it is on zero at 100m with only one click lost. Not so with my Nightforce so I set the rifle to zero (200m) and then measured the gap between the top of the body and the bottom of the drum and turned a spacer to fit so I know that when I wind the turret down and it stops it is zero minus one click. Nice because it means I can never loose my zero.

With the Kahles K312 which uses Apel rings and straight mounts I had two options, either pack the rear mount up which puts unnecessary stress on the body or keep it parallel which looses a lot of elevation and means I am a turn and a half off my mechanical zero. There was a third option, pack the rear to get to my mechanical zero, measure the packing, then measure the distance between the extremities of the rings and machine a taper to suit, fit it and cut out the middle section so I know I have a stress free mechanical zero, plus bed the lower half of the rings to the ‘scope tube with JB Weld and job done.

So is it only me that has a hang up about mechanical zeroes or does anyone else do anything similar?.................

• 2 weeks later...

It must be a good thing to have thats probably why NF developed their zero stop system, one or two other people on here have also gone down the spacer route (can't remember who it was) which is a great idea for NF scopes and much cheaper than a zero stop turret. What material did you use Davy for your spacer?

Andy

Davy,

I'm with you on the settable zero stop - love S&B's simplicity in this, can't get 'lost' by accident, never liked the small markings/verniers on most scope turrets. Did once put a 28moa one piece mount onto a 20moa rail by mistake and could not figure why things weren't working :blush:

How effective is the turned ring? Comes to a nice 'stop' then back a couiple of clicks for zero - yes?

Terry

The stop is made from aluminium and is a nice slide fit over the inner drum. I checked the height with feeler gauges and then with a digital callipers and built the stop a couple of thou high and sanded it down to the final height on some fine wet and dry, a black marker pen works for blacking it. The stop can be removed at any time if needed and is two clicks under my chosen zero. If anyone wants a stop just PM me the inner and outer dimensions and height which are all easily measured with callipers and I will machine some when I have a suitable lump of aluminium in the lathe.

It must be a good thing to have thats probably why NF developed their zero stop system, one or two other people on here have also gone down the spacer route (can't remember who it was) which is a great idea for NF scopes and much cheaper than a zero stop turret. What material did you use Davy for your spacer?

Andy

The Vortex PST is also a range which uses spacers (supplied) to achive a stop, although I understand you can go past the stop, but not do a full revolution.

I have one on order as we speak and will post a report upon using it.

My AI is good in this respect, with the S&B PMII and a 28 minute rail it is on zero at 100m with only one click lost.

Maybe mis-remembering this, but aren't the entire PM2 range (well, certainly the 5-25s) deliberately designed such that they should be zeroed below mechanical zero in order to maximise available turret elevation?

Maybe mis-remembering this, but aren't the entire PM2 range (well, certainly the 5-25s) deliberately designed such that they should be zeroed below mechanical zero in order to maximise available turret elevation?

Surely this is going to be dependant on the angle of the rail the S&B is bolted to? I only have experience of the 4-16 PMII on a 28 minute rail, for some unknown reason AI do not appear to do a 28 minute rail for 30mm tubes which is annoying as I had to shim the back of the mountl to get the desired mechanical zero with an SA 'scope on the other AE.

I have a Kahles K312 that has also has a little red tit that pops up second turn and then up a bit more for the next turn and so on. Impressive glass and the clicks (more like soft clunks) for parallax.

I have a Kahles K312 that has also has a little red tit that pops up second turn and then up a bit more for the next turn and so on. Impressive glass and the clicks (more like soft clunks) for parallax.

I got the 624i to test, has the paralax on the top turret. As far as I can tell it does 2.5m elevation in less than two turns.

Glass is great and the illumination can be cranked up very bright like a red dot or flash dot.

So far very impressed.

DSCN6400.jpg

edi

Never heard of it, what power and ret is it?

6-24, FFP, mildot with stadia, CW 0.1 Mil turrets, 25 miils of elevation, perhaps not at the crazy S&B pricing....

TC

Tehnical Data K 624i

Magnification 6-24

Obj. lens diameter 56 mm (2.20 inča)

Field of view 6,8-1,75 m / 100 m

Eye relief 90 mm (3.54 inča)

Diopter compensation +2,5/-3.5 dpt

Parallax adj. marking 50 m do beskonačno

Impact pt.corr. per

click 1 klik-1 cm na 100 m

Elevation > 250 cm

Tube diameter 34 mm

Length 405 mm (15.9 inča)

Weight 905 grama

Reticle MIL III, prvi fokalni plan

http://www.kahlesoptika.com/images/stories/kahels/catalogue/K624i_shot-all.pdf

I'd like to see one in the flesh. Anybody know who imports/retails them?

RUAG are the importer Mike, not sure they are shipping in any volume yet. Edi may have more info.

The old model was £1700 at retail with some discounts about, if this comes in at similar money it would be impressive but I presume it will be somewhat higher.

Tony

I'd like to see one in the flesh. Anybody know who imports/retails them?

I asked the question about price and availability. Answer was it is not officially on

the market. Maybe it is on the market for official use??

I sat an evening looking across the river through the one I have, optics seem much

easier on the eye compared to the 5-25 which always seemed a bit like looking through a straw.

First time I saw this scope at the IWA was a wow effect. Haven't fired a shot with it yet.

edi

I find Kahles glass easy on the eye if that makes sense. It very much reminds me of Schott glass but I suspect it is there own, does anyone know for certain whos glass they use?

Kahles is indeed a subsidiary of Swarovski as to what glass is used? I would assume Schott glass judging by how well they are recieved and revered by end users.

However,......

on a dealer trip to the factory in 1999 I observed a pile of cardboard boxes bearing the legend Hoya Glass, I have subsequently learnt that the factory also build rifle scopes for a cheaper market with own label brands on.

Kahles are owned by Swarovski now. The agent over here told me that Swarovski intend to move the Kahles product line

very much in the direction of tactical/military scopes, this would be borne out by their new models, whilst keeping the

Swarovski line firmly in the hunting/stalking camp. It would seem logical that they use the same glass source in both.

I have the K312 and it seems very similar to Z5 and Z6 I have to look through.

mike

Kahles are owned by Swarovski now. The agent over here told me that Swarovski intend to move the Kahles product line

very much in the direction of tactical/military scopes, this would be borne out by their new models, whilst keeping the

Swarovski line firmly in the hunting/stalking camp. It would seem logical that they use the same glass source in both.

I have the K312 and it seems very similar to Z5 and Z6 I have to look through.

mike

This makes perfect sense; it would then put the company in line with Zeiss who use the Hensoldt brand on their military optical products.

It would only take one photograph of a dead child in a conflict somewhere in the world, along with a military optic with the Swarovski name on in the photo to destroy the company finacially.

Swarovski are huge in the fashion and jewellery market.

Archived