leupold mk4 m1 10 x40

smokin

thinking of putting one on a fireball I've just acquired but have little or no experience of the Mark 4 fixed power scopes any opions / experience would be appreciated .cheers men

Mk4,s all suffer from the same problem. The eye relief changes drastically from minimum to maximum zoom. As this is a fixed power, you shouldn,t have a problem. I,ve always found mk4,s to have very poor edge to edge quality, and personally cannot get a sharp edge in the picture.

Check the M1 turrets, i cant remember which way round they are, but one of them is 1 MOA per click. As much use as tits on a boar.

Mk4,s all suffer from the same problem. The eye relief changes drastically from minimum to maximum zoom. As this is a fixed power, you shouldn,t have a problem. I,ve always found mk4,s to have very poor edge to edge quality, and personally cannot get a sharp edge in the picture.

Check the M1 turrets, i cant remember which way round they are, but one of them is 1 MOA per click. As much use as tits on a boar.

Hi,

The knack to setting up Leupolds to give the correct eye relief is to do so at maximum magnification, you are then covered at all powers without the need to move your head. As Dave mentioned, some of the MK4's have different 'click' values:-

M1 - 1/4 & 1/4 moa

M2 - 1/2 & 1/2 moa

M3 - 1 moa elevation & 1/2 moa windage

Alan

thanks guys , pretty much as I thought ,as eloquent as ever dave " tits on a boar" talk about small world took a run over to forest lodge this aft and a guy walked in to take delivery of an Ai ax in 260 rem think his name was ady said he knows you , proceeded to put a mk4 leupold on it In the shop so I had a glance and christ I see what you mean edge to edge was poor and talk about fussy eye box . on the ax front I can't quite bring myself to dig that stock but that's just me . any thoughts on an alternative scope in that bracket for the fur ball ? :)

Forest lodge ? Where,s that then ?

If you are in leupold territory, money wise, then have a look at the Sightron range, they knock spots off leupold optically, and have a wide choice. Roger has a couple in, i'll show you them when you call in.

Forrest lodge guns is in wragby Lincolnshire dave , family run shop open 7days a week 8 til 8 ! lovely people , never considered sightron , but will appreciate a look . fire ball should be with you early next week speak then regards simon :)

the 1 moa clicks on the M3 are absolutley superb for getting hits on human torsos out to sensible distances under pressure on a two way range, what it was designed for?

the 1 moa clicks on the M3 are absolutley superb for getting hits on human torsos out to sensible distances under pressure on a two way range, what it was designed for?

nuff said , and much respect :o

Yep.

This scope is going on a .17 furball to shoot crows at 300 yards. One click would put you off target.

Yep.

This scope is going on a .17 furball to shoot crows at 300 yards. One click would put you off target.

Maybe, but I reckon I could aim either head or feet as nessacery to kill a crow or you could match ranges to clicks and pick the nearest range click after ranging , I bet you'd kill a lot of crows ?

You can make your kit work for you , nothing is perfect , your kit will always require you to adapt to it a little to get the best from it ?

There is better kit for what you want to do but an M3 would work.

...There is better kit for what you want to do but an M3 would work.

Maybe, but any varmint-hunter would be bonkers to fit a scope with 1 MOA adjustments, since the whole point is precision aiming/shooting at small pest species at extended ranges. Quarter MOA clicks good, eighth MOA better.

Tony

Maybe, but any varmint-hunter would be bonkers to fit a scope with 1 MOA adjustments, since the whole point is precision aiming/shooting at small pest species at extended ranges. Quarter MOA clicks good, eighth MOA better.

Tony

agreed , but my point is you could use it if nessacery and an M3 is slightly more useful than tits on a boar !

agreed , but my point is you could use it if nessacery and an M3 is slightly more useful than tits on a boar !

Only just.... :lol:

Seriously, We had 4 s/h 3.5-10 x 40 leup mk4,s in a while back. They were genuine military issue, off sniper rifles. You can tell the military issued stuff....its a different scope, the quality is far higher, and the lenses are astounding, with full edge to edge clarity etc.

I sold one to a mate of mine for a .223 speedmaster he uses for Practical rifle. Even shooting at speed, with all the positions that PR entails, we both could not get on with the M3 turrets, and this was on figure 11 targets at 100-300 yards. It was costing points, simple as that. Ok, had it been ETR targetry [fall when hit] then it would have been fine, but even on the generous scoring rings on a figure 11....it was costing points.

He brought it back, and his money was refunded. All four are still sat there at the bargain price of £699.

I wouldn,t shoot at a live animal with one....near enough, is not good enough for me.

Hi All,

This is all getting a bit academic, remember the first post and topic title? Leupold MK4 with MI TURRETS!!! - 1/4 moa adjustments. Most of us would find this more than suitable for varminting with a .17 Fireball as per the original enquiry by Smokin,

Tidings of comfort and joy

Alan

I wouldn,t shoot at a live animal with one....near enough, is not good enough for me.

I've shot a heap of live stuff with mine ! Only to 600m admittedly not as far as some on here , actually 604m as near enough isn't good enough for you! ;op

In a rapidly range changing enviroment like shooting a bunch of hinds you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope but as Alan says we are off topic now .

I'll give you £300 each for those piece of junk useless M3's you've got ?

...In a rapidly range changing enviroment like shooting a bunch of hinds you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope ...

Deer aren't varmints. The OP asked about using a scope on a .17 Fireball - a varminting rifle/cartridge. Hunting deer is a totally different pursuit compared with varmint hunting.

Tony

[/quote

I've shot a heap of live stuff with mine ! Only to 600m admittedly not as far as some on here , actually 604m as near enough isn't good enough for you! ;op

In a rapidly range changing enviroment like shooting a bunch of hinds you'd be hard pressed to find a better scope but as Alan says we are off topic now .

I'll give you £300 each for those piece of junk useless M3's you've got ?

Good on you for shots at such extremes of range. If you are confident in your equipment at that range , then have at it buddy.

The point i was making, is that 1. I simply wouldn,t shoot at any animal at that range, regardless of what it was, and 2. I want nothing less than a perfect aim, and a turret that wont give me that is of no use to me. Small animals are just that. The point of aim has to be exact, otherwise you miss.

I can see the M3 turret being ok on a group of Hinds. The kill zone is a big target comparatively.What do you have on a Hind really ? a 6 inch circle containing the vitals to drop the animal at 100 yards ? I dont know, i,m not a deershooter . Thats a big target, even for a scope that moves one inch every click.

Now compare that with a rabbit head, or the middle of a crow...lets say a 2" kill at best. Not much margin for error on a scope that moves an inch per click is there?

Horses for courses.

I,m half tempted to contact Leupold and see if these 4 scopes can be re-turretted to 1/4" MOA...they are that good optically. Like Leups used to be 20 years since.

Good on you for shots at such extremes of range. If you are confident in your equipment at that range , then have at it buddy.

The point i was making, is that 1. I simply wouldn,t shoot at any animal at that range, regardless of what it was, and 2. I want nothing less than a perfect aim, and a turret that wont give me that is of no use to me. Small animals are just that. The point of aim has to be exact, otherwise you miss.

I can see the M3 turret being ok on a group of Hinds. The kill zone is a big target comparatively.What do you have on a Hind really ? a 6 inch circle containing the vitals to drop the animal at 100 yards ? I dont know, i,m not a deershooter . Thats a big target, even for a scope that moves one inch every click.

Now compare that with a rabbit head, or the middle of a crow...lets say a 2" kill at best. Not much margin for error on a scope that moves an inch per click is there?

Horses for courses.

I,m half tempted to contact Leupold and see if these 4 scopes can be re-turretted to 1/4" MOA...they are that good optically. Like Leups used to be 20 years since.

What about if your lucky and the bdc matches your round like my metric 308 Turret does?

What about if your lucky and the bdc matches your round like my metric 308 Turret does?

I,ve tested the scope with rounds designed for it. All great when you manage to zero it.

Every time i attempted to get it spot on, it was always half or 3/4" out, and you then cant do anything about that. I even repositioned the scope several times to no avail.

1/2" isn,t much at 100 yards....but it is at 500.

I,ve tested the scope with rounds designed for it. All great when you manage to zero it.

Every time i attempted to get it spot on, it was always half or 3/4" out, and you then cant do anything about that. I even repositioned the scope several times to no avail.

1/2" isn,t much at 100 yards....but it is at 500.

Bad luck , I've obviously got very lucky with mine ! It also shoots 1 moa low exactly with the mod off on my rifle so at any given range I just need to plus one click and I'm on!

You strike me as a pretty top notch rifle smith so I can only conclude that it's a lack of enthusiasm for the scope that stops you getting that exact zero ?

I wouldn't have an m3 on any of my other rifles but it just suits my 308 so well.

Horses for courses I suppose ?

Lack of time buddy. :wacko:

I tell you what has literally just crossed my mind however. One of these would go damned well on an AR10 i picked up a bit back. Its wearing a US optics 10x40 sniper scope at the minute, and to be fair, the gun is only an MOA shooter at 100 yards. It will however, hold MOA out to six hundred. i dont shoot it further than that as its only an 18" barrel.Its srictly a plinker, and we tend to use it on steel plates at 400 yards more than anything.

I could match the load to the scope, and it would be a better set up then i think.

Hmmmmn. ;)

Lack of time buddy. :wacko:

I tell you what has literally just crossed my mind however. One of these would go damned well on an AR10 i picked up a bit back. Its wearing a US optics 10x40 sniper scope at the minute, and to be fair, the gun is only an MOA shooter at 100 yards. It will however, hold MOA out to six hundred. i dont shoot it further than that as its only an 18" barrel.Its srictly a plinker, and we tend to use it on steel plates at 400 yards more than anything.

I could match the load to the scope, and it would be a better set up then i think.

Hmmmmn. ;)

Splendid idea , my 308 is a 20" and only just makes it to 2650 so you may struggle for velocity but it does sound like fun !

Archived