Tactical Marlin.

Just finished this bad boy for a customer... :D

Boy was this fella fun.

It started life as a .357 well used 1895 and The customer virtually gave me carte blanche to "make it tacticool " ..he must know i,m sick.... :D

IMG_1071.jpg

Ignore the bipod...its just there to prop it up.

IMG_1075.jpg

First job was to convert it to an adjustable cheekpiece, which comes right up. This is the lowest position, and when wound out , its perfect for a scope....something the std stock definatly isn,t.

IMG_1073.jpg

Then i moved onto the metalwork. The barrel has been shortened and fitted with a third eye brake. This entailed also shortening the magazine tube, the spring, and also remilling all the fixing points on the barrel...a right pain.The rifle now hold 6+1 as specified by the customer.

IMG_1072.jpg

Next we have the custom rails from the states. The main rail is a "scout" type, more used to mount a long eye relief pistol scope for fast moving game. Here it will be used with a red dot. The 45 degree side rail is for mounting a powerful torch, as the gun is to be shot in comps where targets are in darkness.

IMG_1074.jpg

The action has been tuned and then fitted with a one piece stainless firing pin, and also a quick release thumbwheel on the cocking lever. This is very useful for clearing jams....not that this rifle, which is really slick, is ever likely to suffer from.

The paintwork on the steel parts is Duracoat tactical flat black, and the stock was done in H+K satin black as a nice contrast.

Not your everyday job, and one i enjoyed immensly in the end.

JEEEZ DAVE- not a tactical chap myself but thats a real cross over hope the guy is happy and will he be shooting it with his head covered with a box? :lol: :lol:

how long did you have to think this one through? or did you just go ahead and did whatever inspired you at the time.

Hi Dave, that would certainly make a very nice close range urban fox rifle, given the law allowed such a tool :rolleyes:

That’s a beautifully finished rifle and should make the owner a very happy man.

ATB Bob

:lol: Didn't think it would be your cup of tea buddy ;)

Different strokes for different folks i guess. The inspiration for most of the work actually came from your lands. This style is very popular with you guys, and unheard of here.

You heard any news on whether Remlin have started up production again after the shutdown and recalibration/new machinery/staff , Andrew ?

How to make a simple, elegant, rifle....ugly. :wacko: Brrrr! Gives me a shudder just to look at it. Good workmanship though. I hope you charged him a bundle.~Andrew

LOL! Couldn't agree more! But again, top notch craftsmanship. I think my American nostalgia for lever guns is what causes this reaction...still shuddering. :P

:lol: Didn't think it would be your cup of tea buddy ;)

Different strokes for different folks i guess. The inspiration for most of the work actually came from your lands. This style is very popular with you guys, and unheard of here.

You heard any news on whether Remlin have started up production again after the shutdown and recalibration/new machinery/staff , Andrew ?

No. I've been too busy with other issues. The MarinePMI and I are going to the SHOT Show in Vegas next month. We'll do some prowling and ask how production lines and schedules are shaping up.~Andrew

dont get me wrong i bet the workmanship is amazing as normal from dave!! but i just dinnae like that... i know nowt bout lever action or the like but i like em as is i think....

saying that if i was given a wee while to play with it zombie style id probably want one

admit it dave...you really enjoyed this project didnt you?! hee heehee

sauer /paul

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this bad boy for a customer... :D

Boy was this fella fun.

It started life as a .357 well used 1895 and The customer virtually gave me carte blanche to "make it tacticool " ..he must know i,m sick.... :D

IMG_1071.jpg

Ignore the bipod...its just there to prop it up.

IMG_1075.jpg

First job was to convert it to an adjustable cheekpiece, which comes right up. This is the lowest position, and when wound out , its perfect for a scope....something the std stock definatly isn,t.

IMG_1073.jpg

Then i moved onto the metalwork. The barrel has been shortened and fitted with a third eye brake. This entailed also shortening the magazine tube, the spring, and also remilling all the fixing points on the barrel...a right pain.The rifle now hold 6+1 as specified by the customer.

IMG_1072.jpg

Next we have the custom rails from the states. The main rail is a "scout" type, more used to mount a long eye relief pistol scope for fast moving game. Here it will be used with a red dot. The 45 degree side rail is for mounting a powerful torch, as the gun is to be shot in comps where targets are in darkness.

IMG_1074.jpg

The action has been tuned and then fitted with a one piece stainless firing pin, and also a quick release thumbwheel on the cocking lever. This is very useful for clearing jams....not that this rifle, which is really slick, is ever likely to suffer from.

The paintwork on the steel parts is Duracoat tactical flat black, and the stock was done in H+K satin black as a nice contrast.

Not your everyday job, and one i enjoyed immensly in the end.

Now look what you have started I am seeing Magpul m4 stock /adapter ,lever chopped and replaced with a pistol grip and a quad rail upfront .Variation for more toys went off today B)

• 6 years later...

I thought this creation by Baldie was so cool I saved the page

Unfortunately the grasping photobucket muppets have disabled the images

Quick question

Has anyone ever re-barreled a marlin - perhaps with a better blank especially given the highly variable/average quality of marlin barrels

I accept that larger caliber barrels with lead bullets and small powder will likely not get shot out - just wondered if an upgrade is possible?

Would it be possible to see some new pikkys? 

14 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I thought this creation by Baldie was so cool I saved the page

Unfortunately the grasping photobucket muppets have disabled the images

Quick question

Has anyone ever re-barreled a marlin - perhaps with a better blank especially given the highly variable/average quality of marlin barrels

I accept that larger caliber barrels with lead bullets and small powder will likely not get shot out - just wondered if an upgrade is possible?

Yes, know of atleast one gun-plumber on here who's done it.

Archived