FAC conditions

legion

I have moved from the highlands to central scotland constabulary, i have a .243 on my fac which i could use for deer,fox and vermin. Now they will not allow the use of .243 for vermin, and even if i change the calibre to .223 or similar they will not allow it for vermin because i already have .22 rimfire and .17hmr for vermin.

I explained to the FEO that when out after foxes, should the chance to shoot a crow arise i would like to legally take it, i have to give other justifications for having .22, .17hmr and a .22 centerfire for vermin- any advice?

I am going through the same thing down here in South Wales. I moved back to Wales from West Lothian, and i found them (west lothian)to be very helpful, i could use my .270 for vermin as well as my .22/.17hmr/.222, but now Gwent Police have changed my ticket for my .270 saying i can only shoot deer or fox whilst deer stalking, which is totally unjust. I got in touch with the BASC and if i do not get any luck with the letter i have put in to change my conditions, they will take it up on my behalf ;)

If you need anymore help pm me and i will try to help you as much as i can (i have done a lot a research into this) ;)

First may I say stick out for what you want as long as you have good reason to request it.

Do NOT be brow beaten by authority.

BUT

you may just be better (legally) to avoid the word Vermin. Vermin is ill defined in law and neither Rabbit nor Fox is included - in fact specifically excluded by virtue of various Acts that use the terms Ground Game and Small Mammal.

I suggest you resubmit for Pest control and Sporting Purposes. This will cover 99.9% of all eventualities and save a lot of arguments re specific creatures/calibers. Ask for that condition for ALL rifles.

Again I say DO NOT allow the Police to dictate their ideas to you - the law requires a good reason nothing more and nothing less. If you have that and still do not get what you want after putting it into writing to the Firearms Dept then write to the Chief Constable directly. I would also talk to the Home Office and get a name to quote as they will usually uphold your point of view.

BASC will help you and if I can assist in any way email me.

M

Archived