Opinions on Sako 6mm PPC

CCH

Gentlemen,

I have been offered a Sako repeater factory chambered in 6PPC, from my researches it is by all accounts an accurate rifle and at a reasonably good price too.

It would be reassuring though to hear from any users of this rifle as well as any tips or load data.

With thanks,

I have never shot a PPC. My view is it is of the best 300yd bench rest calibre's ever conceived.

The main issue is brass must be fire formed from .220 russian unless you can find sako brass.

A hand load only calibre in reality.

If you aren't a re-loader then you need to pass it over. To me please :D

Gentlemen,

I have been offered a Sako repeater factory chambered in 6PPC, from my researches it is by all accounts an accurate rifle and at a reasonably good price too.

It would be reassuring though to hear from any users of this rifle as well as any tips or load data.

With thanks,

Hi,

As you are probably aware, the 6PPC is often touted as the most accurate short range factory round yet devised, I have no personal experience of this cartridge/rifle combination but remember this from an old copy of 'Guns and Ammo' magazine - "The most accurate rifle we have ever tested". The Sako in 6PPC is a rare beast and if you can get hold of one at a reasonable price then go for it,

Alan

I've got a 6mm ppc (not sako)and as Scotch egg says in the accuracy stakes it's unrivaled out to 300yds.

My tip would be buy it and you won't be disappointed.

To get the best out of it you will need to handload.

Load wise I use Lapua brass, 205 fed SR primers,29.5gns Vit N133 and 65gn v-max.

For more info have a look here http://www.6mmbr.com/6PPC.html

Andy

I have never shot a PPC. My view is it is of the best 300yd bench rest calibre's ever conceived.

The main issue is brass must be fire formed from .220 russian unless you can find sako brass.

A hand load only calibre in reality.

If you aren't a re-loader then you need to pass it over. To me please :D

I have been reloading for about 3 years now in various calibres, so as kind as your offer to come to my aid is, I will politely decline on this occasion...

The rifle comes with 150 rounds of factory ammunition of some description and I friend has dies.

Hi,

As you are probably aware, the 6PPC is often touted as the most accurate short range factory round yet devised, I have no personal experience of this cartridge/rifle combination but remember this from an old copy of 'Guns and Ammo' magazine - "The most accurate rifle we have ever tested". The Sako in 6PPC is a rare beast and if you can get hold of one at a reasonable price then go for it,

Alan

Sounds just perfect, thank you Alan.

I've got a 6mm ppc (not sako)and as Scotch egg says in the accuracy stakes it's unrivaled out to 300yds.

My tip would be buy it and you won't be disappointed.

To get the best out of it you will need to handload.

Load wise I use Lapua brass, 205 fed SR primers,29.5gns Vit N133 and 65gn v-max.

For more info have a look here http://www.6mmbr.com/6PPC.html

Andy

thank you andy, I quite like researching these things.

I shall plug it in to Quickload and see what it come up with too.

Get it bought. I doubt you will sell it on at any loss if you don't like it.

But in all honesty if you do pass it up please pm me cos I will buy it for my Dad for Christmas.

Let us know how you get on.

I will certainly let you know if I decide not to buy it, there was a smiley missing off the end of my post to you btw, apologies if I came across as a bit short.

I have several friends who have the same rifle. Every one is a tack driver. I must have dibs on all of them if they ever decided to sell them . :lol:

The gun is not rare....it was sold in large numbers...but its the only factory rifle out there chambered in this most accurate of cartridges....there really ISN'T a better 300 yard cartridge.

This makes even s/h examples worth top money. I would quite happily pay £1000 for a low round count example. The magazines are extrememly rare for it too. There are no more left as it was the magazine everyone used for 6mmBr conversions on .308 bolt faced 75,s.

Dont let it slip away.

they are excellent. Get it bought as they dont come up for sale very often for a very good reason!!

If you dont buy it, then please pass me the details on as I know someone who will bite his arm off after having a go with my old one!!

shame you didnt keep the one you swapped with gary. mind the 6br you swapped it for is a beauty

HI CCH,

A bit more info. The last factory Sako's in 6PPC were made in 1996, the single shots in the earlier models were more common than the repeaters. The rarity and desireability of the different models are:-

1. Vixen/461

2. A1

3. Model 75

Alan

HI CCH,

A bit more info. The last factory Sako's in 6PPC were made in 1996, the single shots in the earlier models were more common than the repeaters. The rarity and desireability of the different models are:-

1. Vixen/461

2. A1

3. Model 75

Alan

From my contact in the Sako factory, precisely two of the A1 repeaters were unofficially brought in to the UK, there may be a few more kicking about but I've not heard of them. Rare as rocking horse poo and for good reason.

I saw a single shot target 6 PPC A1 for £1100, but the repeater suits my purposes better.

Hi CCH,

Hope you succeed in laying your hands on an A1 repeater. Apparently, most Sako 6PPC's were built with a 1-14" twist which is usually good for 65-70gr while a few 'escaped' with 1-12". There is also a (unconfirmed) report of one with 1-10",

Alan

BUY -BUY- BUY-i will even lend you the money if you want! ^_^

i swapped my beloved 6mmbr for a sako 111 in 6ppc from JORDANG. i had been on the lookout for a sako for a few years but when they came along they sold-quickly,

as the obvious you will need to hand load to get the best out of it which beleive me if its owt like mine will make you wet your pants with its accuracy :wub:

the sako ppc U.S.A has a .270 neck so lapua brass has to be turned i turn for a loaded round

@.268 if you can locate the sako brass then a loaded round will measure differant.

did i say buy it?

as a side note i was at a mates who is a rfd and he has one in with only 80 down the tube he wont sell -its his baby.i could rant for another hour about these guns but i think you know what to do .

buy it!

• 1 year later...

BUY -BUY- BUY-i will even lend you the money if you want! happy.gif

i swapped my beloved 6mmbr for a sako 111 in 6ppc from JORDANG. i had been on the lookout for a sako for a few years but when they came along they sold-quickly,

as the obvious you will need to hand load to get the best out of it which beleive me if its owt like mine will make you wet your pants with its accuracy wub.gif

the sako ppc U.S.A has a .270 neck so lapua brass has to be turned i turn for a loaded round

@.268 if you can locate the sako brass then a loaded round will measure differant.

did i say buy it?

as a side note i was at a mates who is a rfd and he has one in with only 80 down the tube he wont sell -its his baby.i could rant for another hour about these guns but i think you know what to do .

buy it!

ha ha this is an old post but i use a sako 75 in 6ppc and it still shoots in the 3,s after 3000 plus rounds through it,ye when i die they will have to prise it from my dead hands.....

sadly sold mine to a nice fella in scotland hes putting it to good use though ;)

ye pal folk seem to have a soft spot for the old sako ppc's,wish i had one in 22 as well,i have an rpa in 22ppc,shoots brilliant just a bit on the heavy side,atb simon

Wish I still had mine,,,,what a rip!! but needed to be traded in on the way up to questionably better things.Should really put on a slot for a PPC and be ready to pounce on a minter!!!Yeah truly a superb rifle in PPC or even in .222,223,308 etc etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that these Sako's are chambered for 6 P.P.C. U.S.A.

And don't load with 6 P.P.C. Benchrest loads which are too high pressure.

The single shots are very accurate .

Try 65 Berger - Sako USA brass CCI BR primers 27 grains AA-2015

The throats are very long .101 jump to lands.

I had used a Wilson die set up for a Benchrest rifle.

Glenn

glenn- have to disagree with you there on loading to bench rest loads i shot a sako in the factory class at diggle with the exact same load as i use now in a stolle 6ppc-28.6gns n133 and the sako would handle a bit more powder using lapua brass .you also dont need the sako brass its very expensive lapua is fine -shot 1st with a slightly lower charge then once the case was nearly formed to the chamber went to match loads- i got 9 firings with 50 pieces of brass as i also used the rifle for foxing then sold it to a man in scotland

Gary,

I'm not sitting next to you if you are trying to use 38.6 grains of N133!!!!

Are you and Gary S both trying the same trick..... ask him about Australia!

I think you meant 28.6

Cheers, I am now retiring to my air-raid shelter :ph34r:

glenn- have to disagree with you there on loading to bench rest loads i shot a sako in the factory class at diggle with the exact same load as i use now in a stolle 6ppc-38.6gns n133 and the sako would handle a bit more powder using lapua brass .you also dont need the sako brass its very expensive lapua is fine -shot 1st with a slightly lower charge then once the case was nearly formed to the chamber went to match loads- i got 9 firings with 50 pieces of brass as i also used the rifle for foxing then sold it to a man in scotland

of course all rifles a differant and need load development as such start low work up.

jam doughnut me! sorry typo getting old you know!

i will ask gary about aus .

how did saturday go ?saw the results and looks like a good day was had is the next 600 on the 29th?

atb gary

Glenn

The Sako 6PPC is usually a fine factory rifle.Like Garry,and a lot of UK users, Lapua brass was just fine,though of course Sako's own headstamped 6PPC USA is eminently useable too-if you can get it.I used 28g V133 in my 6PPC Stolle BR rifle with 68 Bergers,and found that a milder load,26.6 g V133 shot well in the Sako 75 6PPC repeater.

I do recall that some of the USA competition BR loads,esp in strong BR dedicated actions(Stolle etc) seemed rather hot,(hence no doubt,the post cautioning against them) and I would not go anywhere near that hot in the Sako...but there is no need to-you should find excellent accuracy at more modest loadings.

Gbal

Archived