Parker- Hale .223 Sniper

Hi All,

I have just acquired (no photos yet) a Parker-Hale .223 Rem. with a detachable mag. built on a Mauser '98 as were most of their rifles. It's built with a varmint profile barrel in a typical P-H stock, blond wood, skipline chequering, rosewood accents and about 1/16" of gloss varnish, a poor Weatherby copy. The military style push-button floorplate has been 'chopped' and with some additions and a spring latch forms the mag. retaining and release system for a neat 4 round double column centre feed mag. The bolt face is recessed for the .373" rim and has a long extractor claw to give controlled feed. In 35 years in the trade this is the only P-H in this configuration I have encountered. During the 60's and 70's many police forces used P-H varmint rifles as their marksman's rifle, was this an attempt to provide a rifle in .223? I have an EGW rail on order and hope to test the rifle shortly, if all goes well it will be rebuilt into a training rifle for my club. If anyone has any ideas or information please let me know,

Alan

There is a self proclaimed PH expert on stalking directory who collects catalogues etc. Goes by the name "brithunter"-he might have some info??

Thanks Bucksden,

In the meantime I will try and post some photos,

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

As promised, some photos of the P-H .223,

Modified bolt face with extended extractor claw

edit021.jpg

General view

edit023.jpg

R/H of action

edit024.jpg

Close up of action modification

edit026.jpg

Modified floorplate

edit027.jpg

Mag. well guides

edit032.jpg

4 shot double column, centre feed mag.

edit034.jpg

If anyone knows anything about this rather neat conversion please let me know,

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan,has the ejection port in front of the bolt been extended as my 98 is not undercut like that.It`s a pity P-H didn`t do a standard .223,would have been a winner i think-casebar

Hi Casebar,

The cut on the right side of the receiver bridge is not standard. It is there to ensure that the smaller (.223) case ejects cleanly and does not bounce back into the action. Looking at this rifle I reckon it was cobbled together out of a variety of bits and pieces at P-H as a 'proof of concept'. The action may have been rejected previously as the scope mount holes are misaligned, it's taken a fair amount of shimming to centralise the scope for zeroing purposes. I hope to do some initial zeroing and short range testing over the holiday and then get to Bisley in the New Year for 600 yards,

Cheers

Alan

• 2 months later...
he cut on the right side of the receiver bridge is not standard. It is there to ensure that the smaller (.223) case ejects cleanly and does not bounce back into the action. Looking at this rifle I reckon it was cobbled together out of a variety of bits and pieces at P-H as a 'proof of concept'. [Gunsgobang88]

Alan,

I think you're right on this supposition. I saw a P-H like this one that York Guns was selling many years back in its original York city gunshop down by the river. YG proprietor John Smith had a very good relationship with Roger Hale of P-H in the final years of that company's life, pre Bremmer Arms, and acquired all sorts of one-off or limited production bits and pieces from it. John told me this .223 model was very rare - I can't remember now if he said it was a one-off or one of a small single figure production lot. The story was that P-H had considered producing .222/.223 Rem versions for the US market to fill the small calibre centrefire cartridge hole in its product line, but had decided not to go ahead after building a / some prototype(s).

On a different Parker-Hale rifle note, somebody recently contacted me about my P-H M87 ex police marksmans rifle after a post in the 'For Sale' section, but AOL crashed and irretrievably deleted the message before I could reply. If you read this, PM me please.

• 6 years later...

Hi Alan

I just bought the same rifle yesterday as you describe. Apparently my local gun shot were going to have it destroyed due to not being able to sell it. It looks a tidy rifle, well looked after, good rifling etc. Looking forward to shooting it, I paid £40 for it. good buy I would say.

Regards 

Pete

I wonder if he's still got the rifle, as the op was in 2011, I had a Parker Hale just the same as in photo, except mine was in 7.62, about 30 odd years ago when I used it at bisley etc.

Archived