.17 Fireball

pcon

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of a little project and was looking at the .17 Fireball, so I have a couple of questions as it's a very rare caliber over here.

2. Whats the availability of ammo and the cost like in the UK ?? (I would have to import ammo)
  3. Accuracy of the round??
  4. Effective range as a varminter??
  5. Barrel fouling - I gather it's not as bad as the .17 Rem...?
  6. Best options for a moderator?

Many thanks

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of a little project and was looking at the .17 Fireball, so I have a couple of questions as it's a very rare caliber over here.

2. Whats the availability of ammo and the cost like in the UK ?? (I would have to import ammo)

Many thanks

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND HERE!or search on here its not hard!

if your intrested in "x" calibre t

hen do some home work thats the fun of choosing.before i got my first fb i did a lot of leg work even talking to guys in the states about it.plus you will get 10 differant answers to 10 questions.

Hi guys,

Many thanks

hi PCON

i have a 17 fireball, rem 700 sps rebarreled with a pac nor ss match barrel

im not sure of availability or price of factory ammo as i reload which works out at about 31p per round (box 20gr vmax @ £18, CCI BR4 primers @ £4, tub H322 @ £34 (388 rounds per tub)

brass is £41 per 100 from midway

accuracy - cloverleaf at 100yrds if i do my part

range - crows at 325yrds on a calm day(wind can be a problem), foxes at 180yrds with 30gr bergers

fouling- clean every 50 rounds, could go longer but i tend to reload in batches of 50

mod- use a PES .17 cal scout, speak to julian at JMSarms

rgds jock

Guest richness

Hi guys,

Many thanks

Reloading is cheap.. You can get hundreds of extra yards of range over HMR for an extra 10p per shot

Accuracy is inherently pretty good and I think and the brass very strong indeed - tune the load and it'll do what any other such cal will do accuracy wise. You certainly shouldn't struggle taking long range varmints out with it

barrel fouling depends on the quality of the barrel really but pound for pound it doesn't seem to be a problem calibre for fouling

It moderates very well indeed. My advice is get a camibre-specific mod (DM80/Spartan etc) and it'll be a very quiet CF

My single biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you get a 1/9 twist barrel as these will stabilise the 25gr vmax which is a brilliant do it all bullet and has a significantly better BC than most, enabling it to really perform very well indeed as it will easily be doing 3650fps

What bullet weight can it carry for fox culling and range. seems a nifty calibre for the longer range shots.

My main calibre is 223 x 55grn bullet head for foxing static or mobile

How does it compare for effective fox control, I have a browning A bolt and I find that a superb rifle for the job up to 200 yds, it shoots accurately at 300 all down to precise elevation.

would a fireball be ok with a say 30 - 40grn bullet head for foxing, I have not shot or seen the fireball

What bullet weight can it carry for fox culling and range. seems a nifty calibre for the longer range shots.

My main calibre is 223 x 55grn bullet head for foxing static or mobile

How does it compare for effective fox control, I have a browning A bolt and I find that a superb rifle for the job up to 200 yds, it shoots accurately at 300 all down to precise elevation.

would a fireball be ok with a say 30 - 40grn bullet head for foxing, I have not shot or seen the fireball

I've used the 223 for many years now and just fancied a change to some thing a little different... and there reportedly only two guns in this caliber over here so it fills that criteria quit well ... 30 to 25 gr seems to be best for fox and although approaching the 4000fps mark or above in a 26" barrel it doesn't wear or foul as badly as the 17 rem. zeroed for 180 yards it has pretty much same point of impact out to 220 yards. that is around max range for a fox ... again this is what I can gather for my research and I stand to be corrected.

17fireballVs223.jpg

this is the 17 fireball on the right and the 223 on the left.

I've used the 223 for many years now and just fancied a change to some thing a little different... and there reportedly only two guns in this caliber over here so it fills that criteria quit well ... 30 to 25 gr seems to be best for fox and although approaching the 4000fps mark or above in a 26" barrel it doesn't wear or foul as badly as the 17 rem. zeroed for 180 yards it has pretty much same point of impact out to 220 yards. that is around max range for a fox ... again this is what I can gather for my research and I stand to be corrected.

17fireballVs223.jpg

this is the 17 fireball on the right and the 223 on the left.

Looks like a tidy piece of kit, I shall have a bit of research myself on this one, could turn out a excellent foxing rifle.

Guest richness

With either the 25gr vmax or the 30gr Berger 9again (you'll need a 1/9) then you'll hit fox surprisingly hard due to the great velocity (and total energy tx internally)

No better than a dozen other cals of course, but FB does certainly double as a cheap quiet vermin gun and as a tidy fox cal too

With either the 25gr vmax or the 30gr Berger 9again (you'll need a 1/9) then you'll hit fox surprisingly hard due to the great velocity (and total energy tx internally)

No better than a dozen other cals of course, but FB does certainly double as a cheap quiet vermin gun and as a tidy fox cal too

Yep looking at a 1 in 9" barrel from border barrels @ 22" to 24"...

it doesn't wear or foul as badly as the 17 rem. zeroed for 180 yards it has pretty much same point of impact out to 220 yards. that is around max range for a fox ... again this is what I can gather for my research and I stand to be corrected.

Hi PCON.

As a fully paid up member of the 17 rem addicts club :D - I just though I would add my two penneth about the 17 rem.

IMO - there doesn't seem a calibre out there with as much sh1t spoken about it.

I think these stories originated from way back in the early 70's when it was introduced.

The remmington barrels were supposedly poor quality and collected copper for fun.

There was also very little in the way of cleaning product ( rods - mops ) etc for the 17 cal.

Also the varmint shooters in the US - fired repeatedly untill the barrel was so hot you could brand cattle with one.

Things have moved on lot - some great barrels - bullets and all the cleaning gear is readily availabe.

As for being a barrel burner - This is my 18 year old Tikka 17 rem in action at over half a kilometer away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qecNYE-sj9E

Unfortunately the 17 rem had that much bad things said about it - mostly by those who have not owned one BTW - and a certain ammount of sh1t sticks.

I believe the manufacturers have just given up on it - and invented the 17 FB - calibre that in all honesty wasn't needed

The new furball sounds like it will be a great rifle and I am sure you love it.

PS - my rifle is a 10 twist and it shoots 25 grn Vmax really well. - in fact thats the only bullet i use.

ATB

Alan

Hi PCON.

As a fully paid up member of the 17 rem addicts club :D - I just though I would add my two penneth about the 17 rem.

I think these stories originated from way back in the early 70's when it was introduced.

The remmington barrels were supposedly poor quality and collected copper for fun.

There was also very little in the way of cleaning product ( rods - mops ) etc for the 17 cal.

Also the varmint shooters in the US - fired repeatedly untill the barrel was so hot you could brand cattle with one.

Things have moved on lot - some great barrels - bullets and all the cleaning gear is readily availabe.

As for being a barrel burner - This is my 18 year old Tikka 17 rem in action at over half a kilometer away.

Unfortunately the 17 rem had that much bad things said about it - mostly by those who have not owned one BTW - and a certain ammount of sh1t sticks.

I believe the manufacturers have just given up on it - and invented the 17 FB - calibre that in all honesty wasn't needed

PS - my rifle is a 10 twist and it shoots 25 grn Vmax really well. - in fact thats the only bullet i use.

ATB

Alan

Just to add mine regarding 17 cals. I too have a 17 Rem which I bought on a large portion of Al's advice. Ballistics are SERIOUSLY under-rated!! The speed and BC of the 25g Vmax make it an excellent mid range centre-fire. I have shot 15 foxes with mine now and 2 out at 265yds and cleaned them both out. The speed/expansion game it plays so well is it's forte giving safer shooting, flat trajectory and very clean kills on small to fox sized quarry. I have shots hundreds of rabbits, crows and magpies over the last year out to 500 yards.

Mine is now due for a re-barrel but this is after 2000 shots of seriously hot loads! The previous owner did not clean very thoroughly and loads were so hot that ejector claws were blown off along with the primers. I have put another 1000 shots through it on top of his 1000. Its accuracy is still 0.25MOA but fire cracking in first 2-3" of barrel mean it's time to go. I have no doubt that with sensible loads, a good barrel and TLC that my next 17 Rem barrel (due in 2 weeks) will do 2500+ shots easily.

Guest richness

Yep Si's 17Rem (pacnor tube) is about as accurate a rifle as i have ever seen. The barrel is about a mile past toasted and it still cloverleafs constantly.

But the Fireball will give you what you need if your priorities are cheap, quiet, accurate, strong case, good ballistics.

17Rem is all that + 200fps. I have a very squared away 20 cal so don't need a medium range centrefire so 17rem was not needed. If I were looking at, say a 223, then I'd look REAL hard at a 17 REM instead. My needs, however, were for a short, light truck gun and I must say that 17FB is just brilliant for that and you won't be disappointed if you go that way mate :)

The handiest 2k I ever made, thanks guys. Its called honour among thieves, it'll come back to ye all. 17 Fireball, great calibre.

Go to bed old man!!! ;)

You know I pay in cabbages and chocolate brandy creams :lol: :lol:

1:40am the other night and I leaving your place... only stopped in for a quick chat and ended up going a custom fireball jobbie :o

1:40am the other night and I leaving your place... only stopped in for a quick chat and ended up going a custom fireball jobbie.

Who ever said talk was cheap.

Go to bed old man!!! ;)

You know I pay in cabbages and chocolate brandy creams :lol: :lol:

1:40am the other night and I leaving your place... only stopped in for a quick chat and ended up going a custom fireball jobbie :o

Who ever said talk was cheap.

Hi PCON.

ATB

Alan

Thats some sweet shoot'n man ...

Yep 17's have my interest peaked B)

For the FB... how critical is barrel lenght??

as a varminter I was thinking a 20" but am I loosing to much Velocity... how about 22" or 24"???? 26" a bit too long .

Thats some sweet shoot'n man ...

Yep 17's have my interest peaked B)

For the FB... how critical is barrel lenght??

as a varminter I was thinking a 20" but am I loosing to much Velocity... how about 22" or 24"???? 26" a bit too long .

i had mine at 23 inch's 2011-05-20_15-41-03_445.jpg

Hi All,

Have to agree with Sir-Slots-Alot and Si-Snipe, no other round has come in for such ill informed critiscism as the .17 Rem. Much of the flak has come from 'journalists' who have repeated the old myths and who seem to have fired their tightest groups from a keyboard. With modern ammo, components, barrels and cleaning kit ther .17 Rem is a superb fox and long range pest cartridge. The .17 Rem. and the .17 Fireball fit in the same action, why go with less performance unless saving a few pence on powder is important?

Cheers

Alan

hi pcon

i love mine made my hmr redunant,

i would go 1 in9 twist, as i did so you can use 25gr vmax or 30gr bergers

i have been using the 30.bergers and they do a stunning job, got bunnys out to 260yrds (ranged)

and fox'es go down ok but i haveonly hade close shoots 80yrd or less

as for mods thrid eye do 17cal sparten's and i really like mine :)

AH now lads you have me thinking 17 Rem Vs 17 fireball??????????? :wacko:

So how many rounds is a 17 rem barrel of good quality (border barrels) good for with a good cleaning regime ??

I'd personally go for the .17 Rem, it will do every thing the fireball will do but better, more mv, more ME, flatter trajectory and a bit better in the wind.

The fireball is quieter, uses less powder to achieve similar verlocitys, but I would want to get the most an best out of a round so would go for the rem.

It's really what your wanting out of the round really and what you wil be using the rifle for.

As long as you don't load rounds up to try andachieve warp speed, there won't be that much of a difference in barrel life.

If I was wanting 17 cal , I be wanting to use it to the best of the cals ability and would go for the rem.

Steve.

Guest richness

I'd personally go for the .17 Rem, it will do every thing the fireball will do but better, more mv, more ME, flatter trajectory and a bit better in the wind.

The fireball is quieter, uses less powder to achieve similar verlocitys, but I would want to get the most an best out of a round so would go for the rem.

It's really what your wanting out of the round really and what you wil be using the rifle for.

As long as you don't load rounds up to try andachieve warp speed, there won't be that much of a difference in barrel life.

If I was wanting 17 cal , I be wanting to use it to the best of the cals ability and would go for the rem.

Steve.

Indeed, it depends on the OP's needs. If he want s a full-on CF then the Rem is excellent. It's kinda like hornet vs 222 vs 223 etc - you have to choose how much firepower you need.

• 1 month later...

So one more question is there a dealer in the UK that stocks factory ammo for the .17 fireball... some one mentioned one before but I can't find it for the life of me...

Thanks

P

Archived