Lever Action 357Magnum

Finman

hi there chaps,

My club has expanded to now allow gallery rifle competitions with lever action carbines. Hence, I now have a handy slot in my certificate for a Lever action 38/357. All fine and dandy up to this point....BUT: I never had any experience with such a rifle and, fun as they may sound, I have heard some horror stories with poorly made rifles, feeding problems, triggers that require a donkey kick to fire etc. Wishing to avoid said curlprits, I am appealing to your knowledge and sense of charity to provide an 'idiot's guide to buying a lever action rifle' to help this idiot... Any experience with brands, tips and tricks, most welcome!

best wishes,

Finman

I think Dave is going to be the best person for advice here.

However I shot a 45/70 (Rossi) lever gun a year or two ago with a holo sight - immence fun, if slightly kicky....

hi Alan and Ronin,

thanks for your advice...I am looking around to locate the UK rep, had no luck at the York Guns, Henry Krank or SGC...Does anybody know who stocks Marlin? and what about the Uberti range that H.Krank has? anybody had any experience with them??

best wishes

Finman the clueless :)

Finman,

There is only one guy to talk to in the UK, roger Francis at syss. There are many pretenders to the crown, no one tunes a marlin like he does.

I,ve done loads myself but Roger really knows how to get the very best from a gun.

Dont, whatever you do, buy a winchester or a rossi. Both are a pain to work on and spares are difficult, or virtually impossible.

No serious competitor uses anything but Marlin.

There have been some crap marlins over the last couple of years, so much so that Marlin has shut down production whilst they recalibrate and sort their that which promotes growth and vigour out. Roger has been through most of the guns for the importers [edgars ] and also holds most of the UK,s remaining stock of the guns. Dont hang about, when they are gone, certain models aren't expected again for 18 months.

I've just bought the basic blued/walnut model [round barrel ] and it superb. Tuned it myself, fitted a trigger happy kit, and a one piece firing pin, and an adjustable cheekpiece. Love it.

I went down the route of a Winchester 94 because it was cheap but apparently well looked after. It was a dog with problems feeding and ejecting rounds. Since have bought a pre Remington Marlin and although it hasn't been down to Roger YET, it is a dream to shoot and far more accurate. Buy a Marlin and get it fettled by Roger.

Fellas,

I'm in your debt. I am getting on the phone to Roger, seeing some of the stuff in his website has me dreaming of myself with a stetson and leather chaps out in a desert with my trusted .357Magnum on hand for any eventuallity :)

best wishes,

Finman

Yeeee haaa!

Hi,

I have a marlin 45-70 guide gun with a zeiss duralyt 1.2-5x36 and swing off mounts, figured it would be a great gun for shooting driven boar in europe. not had a chance to take the little hog yet but sure looking forward to it shooting hornaday leverevoloution and pretty good out to 100m. something about that feeling when you cycle the action!

If you are looking for some fancy looking leatherwork google levergunleather and take a look what this guy knock s out!

Have fun,

Cloverleaf

More and more people are seeing the potential of the big marlins for piggies over here Cloverleaf.

I did a couple of 45/70,s for 2 guys for just that purpose not long back. Shortened the mag tubes and threaded them for third eye mods, which quietened them right down, and reduced recoil considerably.

IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

I,m also just in the process of a full customisation of an 1894 for a chap on here, which will be rather special when its done, and probarbly unique in this country. Pics will follow when its done with the owners consent.

Great thing about the 357 Finman, is that is bloody cheap shooting. The brass never wears out or stretches, you are only using about 5 grains of powder, and the lead hardcast bullets are around £25 for 500.

I rattled over 600 rounds out on the dillon the other night in just over an hour.

Great fun....everyone should have one. :)

Great thing about the 357 Finman, is that is bloody cheap shooting. The brass never wears out or stretches, you are only using about 5 grains of powder, and the lead hardcast bullets are around £25 for 500.

I rattled over 600 rounds out on the dillon the other night in just over an hour.

Great fun....everyone should have one. :)

Thanks for that Dave, I have now started the process and should have one of Roger's 'specials' in the next 10 days. Look forward to it, I must admit, never having had the experience of such a gun or calibre or style of shooting. I guess the next thing I shall be bothering you, learned chaps, about is loads for the fecker :)

best wishes

Finman

No problem buddy, shout up when you are ready. If i could climb up into the loft, i,d check now, but i cant.

I use solo 1000 at the minute [because i have a lot of it ] its made by accurate arms. I also have a tub of GM3 to try as again, this is cheap powder at about 25 quid a tub. This cartridge with lead loads will run on most of the shotgun powders, like the aforementioned, plus bullseye, unique etc, and all at very small charges. The bullets you want are the GM hardcast, made in Leeds, and available from almost anywhere, including Hannams, Bisley etc.I use the 158 grain round nose flat point. Some use the truncated cone, and some use the slightly heavier ones.

I use whatever small pistol primers are cheapest, currently Winchester.

If you aren't going the Dillon route, then the best die set is the Lee believe it or not. The 38/357 set actually has a carbide sizing die, so there is no need to lube cases, just run em straight through.

You will want a powder thrower which can handle small amounts. Again the dillon will, but i also have a harrel rifle powder measure, and this simply wont meter such small amounts accuratly. Harrel make a pistol measure that will, but once again, Lee is your friend. My mate uses their little powder thrower [ the perfect powder measure ? ] and its very accurate with these type of powders/loads.

To be honest, the reloading of lead loads in these calibres is pretty brutal, uncomplicated stuff, and very accurate ammo can be loaded wuite happily on the cheaper progressives such as the lee turrets etc. You will find once you get into it, that you dont half get through some ammo, and then you will start looking at progressive reloading.

Baldie, cant wait to see this custom Marlin!

I'm using Vectan AS as it is circa £18 per 500g and cast bullets at £45 per 1000 so as you say cheap shooting. I was sceptical about underlevers when I first started as I didn't see the appeal but once you start shooting them with turning targets they are a riot! All the better in the heat of competition. I'm off to the Phoenix next year for the first time and I can't wait!

How much is a Dillon set up then?

• 4 weeks later...

Evening Fellas,

I took Baldie's advice and got myself a lovely 'tricked and slicked' Marlin 1894C in .357Magnum. Shall be shooting it with the open sights to start with. Already put 30 rounds through it of bought ammo and it is a revelation! I am already looking forward for some good honest shooting fun with this lovely little thing.

I also purchased the dies, 158gn hardcast bullets, 200 cases, primers and a pound of Alliant Unique. Now, I am turning to you once more for guidance as to where to look for loads for this (preferably downloaded ammo recipes, as this will be shot indoors) or hear your favourite recipes with this or similar powders.

best wishes,

Finman

Try 5 grns of Unique if you are using .357 cases. You can't go wrong here with loads listed in any reloading manual. I have shot 100's of pounds of Unique in rifle and handgun. Excellent!~Andrew

Thanks for the advice Andrew! I shall definitely spend some time in the garage during the festive period and shall let you know how it worked. Much obliged for your help,

best wishes,

Finman

Thanks for the advice Andrew! I shall definitely spend some time in the garage during the festive period and shall let you know how it worked. Much obliged for your help,

best wishes,

Finman

Any time. I have a dozen .357 and .38 Special weapons and 20 or 30 bullet molds to cast for them. Wonderful cartridge. If you had someone to cast for you, or you did it yourself, I would recommend a Lyman model #358-156 bullet. This SWC has two crimping grooves .100" apart which, not surprisingly, is the difference in the case length between the 38 Special and the .357 Magnum. This allows you to seat the bullet out to .357 magnum length in a 38 Special case and use mid-range .357 loadings. I used 12 grains of Alliant 2400 for this load. The odd thing is that comparing the same load in a "proper" .357 case to the same loaded in the .38 Special case with the bullet seated out to the bottom crimp groove, the latter out-shot the former every time! In the last 30+ years it has never failed to be my most accurate .357 concoction.~Andrew

Archived