115g DTAC

Ballistol

Anyone any hands on practical experience with this bullet or have any opinions as to it's performance. I've read the write ups on David Tubb's site but would appreciate a UK perspective.

Also, does anyone know who holds a stock of these, Midway UK list them but currently out of stock.

cheers

HPS have a stock of them, I ordered direct from Tubb.

Not used them yet but just been informed my Panda action is on its way so will give them a test once Neil has put together a 6mmAI!

Cheers

Dave

Ballistol,

Have used them myself in a 6 x 47SM with good results and came up against them about 8 years ago when folks first started using them in tactical comps in 243's. Really opened your eyes to performance when you were used to running a 308 :huh:

Nice bullet.

Terry

• 3 months later...

Another option is to order them direct from Tubbs, it's also the cheapest but possibly the riskiest.

I have just reserved 1500 from Midway and he seems quite confident they will in by Nov 4th.

Elwood.... I am seeking a reliable supply of Boron coated 115g DTACs ...... did you encounter any problems with direct ordering (willingness to supply / regulations etc)?... Wondered why you described it as Risky?

Sadly Tubbs will no longer ship to the UK.

It was a bit risky as when he would he would not send them with any email tracking!

HPS will probably be the safest bet.

However I ordered 1000 through Mike at Reloading International. These worked out at $377 including the export license and postage to UK. This equated to £243 for 1000 bullets, I will have to pay VAT when they come into the country so I recon they will still work out cheaper than the UK at around £30 per 100 bullets.

Cheers

Dave

Sadly Tubbs will no longer ship to the UK.

It was a bit risky as when he would he would not send them with any email tracking!

HPS will probably be the safest bet.

However I ordered 1000 through Mike at Reloading International. These worked out at $377 including the export license and postage to UK. This equated to £243 for 1000 bullets, I will have to pay VAT when they come into the country so I recon they will still work out cheaper than the UK at around £30 per 100 bullets.

Cheers

Dave

Does sound a little cheaper....... Christ why do things have to get so complicated?!!

HPS have Dtacs in stock but I don't know if they have any that are Boron coated.

They do... picking them up tomorrow!

At what price if you will?

Think it was £34 per 100 retail.... its on their website.

just received min and they are boron coated , which is a pain as i ordered the untreated, appently dt sent all boron coated by mistake so we are lumbered with them

They should have about 150 uncoated left .... I picked up 100 'bare' and 400 Boron today. Dave (Baldie) is recommending the Boron coated version.... never had anything but good advice from Dave to date so I am going to try them out.

Boron has no drawbacks unlike moly.

I have a friend who has seen up to a quarter more barrel life in 3 different calibres using it. Namely 6xc, .223 and 6.5 x .284.

Boron has no drawbacks unlike moly.

I have a friend who has seen up to a quarter more barrel life in 3 different calibres using it. Namely 6xc, .223 and 6.5 x .284.

Any thing different in the cleaning regime needed please Dave?

My friend cleans the 223 every 400 rounds....yes you read that right, and suffers no loss of accuracy. He did tell about the other calibres, but i,ve forgotten what he said, but they were exceptionally long strings between cleans. He then runs a mop through the bore with boron on it, and just shoots. The guy is one hell of a shot too.

Next to no copper fouling apparently.

I,ve already coated some of my own .223,s ....i,m just waiting to fit a new match barrel to the AR, then its gonna get fed boron bullets solely.

Boron coating is easy to do and a lot less messy than using moly. I use my Thumler Tumbler, a cylindrical plastic tub with lid and stainless steel ball bearings, I can do 100 bullets a a time. My Boron Hex came from Canada and I have enough to probably coat 100,000 bullets.

Anyone got any thoughts on the Dave Tubb Boron coating method video which seems to dispense with ball bearings as a carrier/application media and simply seals the Bullets & Boron in a plastic jar which goes in a tumbler (for an hour).

Presumeably the bullets themselves become the application media?

I was geting mine direct from Tubb and shipped to the UK but apparently he's stopped doing that. Next lot will be direct fom Tubb but collected in USA.

I spoke to Tubbs yesterday, apparently they can post up to 300 at a time due to the cost being less than $100, whether this is correct or not I do not know.

Dan, the answer to your question is 6mm, normally .243AI, 6XC, 6mmAI, 6x284.

I spoke to Tubbs yesterday, apparently they can post up to 300 at a time due to the cost being less than $100, whether this is correct or not I do not know.

Dan, the answer to your question is 6mm, normally .243AI, 6XC, 6mmAI, 6x284.

So an easy solution might be multiple parcels? Problem as ever is that by the time you have added US postage, US handling, UK customs charges & VAT at 20% it is barely worth the hassle if there is a reasonable UK source. The last point may be OK as Midway & HPS certainly seem to stock them...at least the 'bare' version (not sure how reliably) BUT if you want the Boron coated ones its a DIY job (no big deal if you can lay your hands on the Hex Boron) AND they are going to cost somewhere between £150 - £170 for 500 retail which , I guess , reflects the UK suppliers costs and markup. Painful to see prices in the US ($124/500) vs Costs here though!

Archived