.22 lr recommendation

Aggy

I'd been thinking about an Anschutz for years but could never part with the cash.

Two years ago however got a great deal on a left handed Anschtz carbine, what an amazing rifle - well built, reliable, exellent trigger and very accurate.

I've had CZ's over the years and the do work well, but for me the Anschutz just nails it.

Kind Regards

Rob.

Hi Mick, it really depends on what you are after, im an anschutz man personally. 1710 dhb.

It just depends on youre budget.

Garry

at the moment i have a spikes tactical AR 15 in .22 lr I bought it for mini rifle shooting but am thinking of parting with it "just not bothered about shooting it any more " guess I have moved on .I do know somebody who may be selling a Match 54 anschultz in a sporter stock If selling the Ar I would be looking at about £900 to £1k but dont want to spend it all on a .22

Thanks Mick

Im thinking strong about building a nice gift for myself shortly, just for being a nice guy and that type of thing. Im looking at the falcon action and a heavy straight barrel with a similar stock to the Sako Finnfire varmint made by Gunstocks Ireland (My own stockmaker) with jewel trigger. If I was in the market for a factory however I really like the Kimber Tactical rimfire, Brian Fox has them on his web page, very sexy little rifle.

Mick,

For bunny bashing then a CZ in the Boyds ttacticaool stock would be a pretty nice set up, even with some reasonable glass not too much either.

Personnaly gone over to an Anschultz MPR, primarily for my clubs 100m mag fed for score comp (and since using it a few more have emerged :) ) Just in the process of sorting a suppressor adapter for bunnies.

There's some real nice 22's to be had, all down to what you want to spend.

Brgds Terry

Mick,

For bunny bashing then a CZ in the Boyds ttacticaool stock would be a pretty nice set up, even with some reasonable glass not too much either.

Personnaly gone over to an Anschultz MPR, primarily for my clubs 100m mag fed for score comp (and since using it a few more have emerged :) ) Just in the process of sorting a suppressor adapter for bunnies.

There's some real nice 22's to be had, all down to what you want to spend.

Brgds Terry

I am thinking of getting some new skins for my AI stock so would have them spare to use for a project with some ally box the make the chassis ??

Mick

Mick,

Could be an interesting solution, how about a laminate wood for the core, should work for a 22 rimmy, makes it into a home project (unless you have access to a mill that is!)

Brgds T

Mick,

Could be an interesting solution, how about a laminate wood for the core, should work for a 22 rimmy, makes it into a home project (unless you have access to a mill that is!)

Brgds T

Hello i can do basic milling and have a lathe .I will come unstuck with the alluminium welding ,not sure if it will make it too heavy but i can weld steel box no problem ,it would help with the massive recoil of the .22LR round :lol:

mick

i have a annie 1417 and it is a great little 22lr nice and compact,accurate,great trigger and smooth bolt.

i had the cz style before that and that was dead accurate also not much difference in them accuracy wise.

the annie feels nicer to shoot and the trigger is much better out the box thats a fact. you can get a trigger kit for the cz from baldie

on here. that makes the cz trigger much better.

i guess its down to what you want to pay at the end of the day

atb jamie.

ps there are some nice sako finfires about at the moment of different shooting forums for sale.

there worth a look at to

Hi Mick,

Nice to see someone taking a considered approach to getting a .22. After all, a lot of shooters will use their .22 far more than any other rifle. Using a .22 to hone your shooting skills or as a 'lead-in trainer' makes a lot of sense, many shooters I know have tried to duplicate the feel and sight picture of their centerfire rifles. One of my custoners who has an AW in .308 is following this route and we are in the middle of changing his .22 CZ American Varmint. Tuned trigger, Nightforce scope, Boyd tactical stock with adjustable furniture, new bottom metal and a tactical bolt knob. A bit OTT by some peoples standards but a superb trainer and that indefinable sense of owning something just that bit different,

Alan

The best .22LR I have ever owned is a Sako finnfire P94S

They arent made any more but can be found on the second hand market regularly. Buy a minter, lets face it .22LRs never really wear out and you will never regret it. The Quad should have been its replacement but its sadly inferior to its predecessor

MArk

They arent made any more but can be found on the second hand market regularly. Buy a minter, lets face it .22LRs never really wear out and you will never regret it. The Quad should have been its replacement but its sadly inferior to its predecessor

MArk

Hi Mark,

Forgotten about that one, a centrefire type full size stock with a good trigger and build quality. Some of the wood might have been a bit plain but they are usually as accurate as any .22 sporter can be,

Alan

MArk

Plus 1 on that , I will never let my finnfire go ! Also wtf were Sako thinking when they discontinued it?

Plus 1 on that , I will never let my finnfire go ! Also wtf were Sako thinking when they discontinued it?

Hi tackb,

Cutting costs, that's what they were thinking! Do you remember the Vixen, Forester, Finnbear and the Finnwolf? (best lever action ever made). Beautifully polished and blued, looked like pools of black ink. Then the bead blasted satin finish of the L series, "non-game spooking hunter finish". Some of the more recent Sakos look like they have been grit blasted, still shoot superbly but lack the old quality of finish. Compare the solidity and quality of the Finnfire with the Quad and anybody can see where corners have been cut to control costs,

Alan

Hi tackb,

Cutting costs, that's what they were thinking! Do you remember the Vixen, Forester, Finnbear and the Finnwolf? (best lever action ever made). Beautifully polished and blued, looked like pools of black ink. Then the bead blasted satin finish of the L series, "non-game spooking hunter finish". Some of the more recent Sakos look like they have been grit blasted, still shoot superbly but lack the old quality of finish. Compare the solidity and quality of the Finnfire with the Quad and anybody can see where corners have been cut to control costs,

Alan

All to commoner a story now ! God how I wish they did a 22wmr finnfire , would save me having to build my project on a ruger k77/22 VMBZ .

hya,well another for the cz,cracking weapon,put thousand,s of round,s through mine,never misses a beat,for a good solid, dependable,acurate .22,get a cz,stick a trigger kit in and away you go,spot on for bunny bashing,ok,,ian

I agree about the Finnfire. I sold mine to a mate who has since refused to sell it back to me despite me offering 50% more than he paid for it :mad:

Finally got over it and bought a CZ 455 American, very pleased and shoots well out the box. Not selling this one.

5 shots at 50m, Eley Sport, S&B 4X36

Tafoto-0025.jpg

Hello guys I am thinking of getting another bunny basher but what to go for ? Bolt action

Mick

Hello

Many years back when I was skint I had a Bruno .22 and it was long light and reasonable for the money

Now as I have got rid of the kids I treated myself to the Anschutz I had allway's dreamt of, the thumbhole walnut stocked one, my only winge is its a bit light, I do quite a lot of rabbiting and having got used to the range and power of a 17hmr, coming back to .22 was not as easy as I had thought, but still get a buzz from using it as it was allway's a dream of mine to get one, I think the problem I had was dropping back to a stalking type scope instead of a mildot

Go for the best you can afford then get a proper scope to do the rifle justice,

Had a Rimfire magic build this year in green Duracoat, once I had run it a bit 22 subs can reach out to 100 measured yards to drop rabbits as long as I do my bit with the mildot scope, but I get some jams with the action not getting the force required to cycle and recock the hammer, but it's deadly accurate with the Green River heavy barrel

There's a lot of good 22's out there it's just down to personal choice, experience, and dreams of having that one you dreamt of,

Regards

Alan

The Finfire was a cracker, but for me its a CZ 452 varmint. Std stock has been modified to suit my big mits and a better Butt pad fitted for better shoulder adheasion and also slightly increasing LOP. I do not believe in trigger kits there is nothing wrong with the trigger that a few thousand rounds cant sort, quite simply they get sweeter with age ;) wearing a 6x42 S+bender ontop and my old Parker hale moddy up front and fed on a exlusive diet of SK subsonic no bunny is safe. Even out to 100yds your looking at raggy holes when shooting a Nil wind call with subs.

I supose the quad has been a commercial sucess - but one aint ever gonna live in my safe. Not least because if you realy wanted two or more rimmies you could by multiple 452's for similar cost

Archived