tikka barrel thread

how can you put an 18mm thread on a 15mm spigot

think about it

i

yeah i understand that pal,but didnt realise the diameter of barrel at the time i wrote this as i thought the spigot was of a bigger dimention.but knew my barrel wasnt a varmint type.thanks for the help.

To determine the biggest thread your rifle will accept, measure the barrel accurately at the shoulder of the barrel where the thread/spigot will finish.

For a spigoted design such some of the T8's use that will be 30mm from the end of the barrel, non spigoted 11.5 to 12mm. For a reflex design which has a rear bush in the mod deduct 1mm from your measurement, if the moderator relies on the shoulder for alignment allow 1.5mm. then pick the largest thread.

Or just stop whittling and have it screwcut 1/2"x20 UNF. Easy to find a moderator with that thread.

Personally, I think all other threads should be illegal.

mmm, the blacksmith's thread!

Seriously, 3 out of 4 1/2" threads I cut these days are 1/2"x28 UNEF. Most moderators are available with this thread and with the finer pitch are less prone to vibrate loose. However, there is no substitute for a correctly cut and snugly fitting thread in any size,

Alan

To determine the biggest thread your rifle will accept, measure the barrel accurately at the shoulder of the barrel where the thread/spigot will finish.

For a spigoted design such some of the T8's use that will be 30mm from the end of the barrel, non spigoted 11.5 to 12mm. For a reflex design which has a rear bush in the mod deduct 1mm from your measurement, if the moderator relies on the shoulder for alignment allow 1.5mm. then pick the largest thread.

Am i correct in thinking stag that the largest thread size you can use is the strongest thread( my way of thinking in this, is that there would be more surface area with a lrger thread giving a larger contact area betwean the two threads) i may be wrong though

thanks and welcome to the forum by the way

I prefer to use the largest thread possible because it removes the least amount of metal from the barrel, it has always concerns me particularly when threading a hammered barrel that removing a large amount of metal i.e. a 1/2" thread on a heavy profiled barrel there is going to change to the bore dimensions - when you take a fine cut across the muzzle of a hammered barrel you can see the structure of the metal change. I'm quite happy with the metric thread range which seems to be standardised on 1mm pitch. Spud, I think any of the common threads will be more than adequate to retain the moderator.

Archived