Camo and clothing

Guest northernchris

Guest northernchris

Years ago i would wear tweed on the hill (along with 99% of all the other keepers/stalkers),now we use Realtree this and that! Now do you think the more modern stuff is actually better than the tweed stuff as far as concealment is concerned.If you look at all the different tweeds there are literally hundreds from gray through to brown with purples in between.

Tweed as you know from a performance point of view is very good at keeping you warm when wet except it is very heavy once soaked.

So what does everybody use/like Tweed,Realtree,DPM etc???And what about + four's/breeks??????????

I am constanly changing my mind, one minute I hate realtree etc and the next I think its good stuff. I went through a phase last year where I only wore green, usually from the deerhunter range I had a nice pair of seeland trousers and a fox coat. I went to the shop on friday as I needed some lighter stuff for the summer and came away with a realtree foldin trousers and a green light flecce. I dont think the cammo stuff offers much benifit but I suppose every little counts but i think that just plain green works very well more or less anywhere, boiler suits are the best for those cold winter nights though as teh cammo doesnt do much good in the dark.

I wear a Kammo coat that is at least 20yrs old and is still going strong, i was at the BASC gamefair today and picked up a bargain, a Kammo Jacket and a Field jacket for £200. The field jacket needed the pocket stitched and the Kammo jacket just needs the left inner sleeve to be un-twisted, but with the one i was given still going strong, i couldn't leave the two behind.

Trouser's i wear the lightweight Deerhunter/Waterproof realtree Deerhunter or Moleskins, winter trousers i have some wool ones + jacket (like swandri, they are furnace jacket & trousers from Llanwern Steelworks)

But there so much to choose from, and a lot of it is only made to catch your eye and spend your cash only to be left in the cupboard :lol:

Guest Rich.K

I try not to wear DPM in the countryside. Unless you have taken the king's shilling, samcks to me off militia - but thats just me. First and foremost the choice of clothing is on performance, have basic greens and realtree.

At the end of the day its what you are happy with as the animal kingdom sees in a totally diferent manner to us - look at the US and their blaze orange hunting gear! Movement and shine are the killer, like raisng your head to shoot at a crow etc.. will 9 times out of 10 cause a panic reaction in the bird

Chris,

When I'm out stalking I have been using Nomad plus 4's and a Swazi goretex smock. They are both excellent and in torrential rain they do not let 1 drop of water in.

As the smock is just a single goretex layer I just put a fleece waistcoat and thermal base layer underneath if it's cold.

The smock is in dark green and is absolutely ideal where I stalk as it is made up of spruce pine forestry blocks. in fact this year I am going to invest is the Swazi bib/trousers to go with it.

If I'm out lamping I generally just throw on my battered deerhunter camo jacket .

Guest varmartin

I wear the usual DPM trousers for every day shooting at long range because they cant see you at those distances anyway.

I have some trousers and a coat by Dear hunter and a light jacket in tree bark real tree by Lynch--old but good for warm weather.

Then i wear a leafy top and trousers when i go stalking on loan from a friend ( see pic )

resizewizard1agi1.jpg

Martin

I wear the usual DPM trousers for every day shooting at long range because they cant see you at those distances anyway.

I have some trousers and a coat by Dear hunter and a light jacket in tree bark real tree by Lynch--old but good for warm weather.

Then i wear a leafy top and trousers when i go stalking on loan from a friend ( see pic )

resizewizard1agi1.jpg

Martin

Knew that was coming a mile off!!!!!

SOME BODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ( the film the mask )

And wheres shriek too!!! ;):( :(

Al the best and speak soon buddy................

RAY................... :( :(

Guest Smeagle

Like a lot of people it depends on what I am doing, there is little point wearing cam in a chopper and many clients have a policy against it. So then we wear our uniforms which is beige cargo pants and orange shirt.

When pig shooting I wear Oz cam, its cheap and works well, besides its tough enough to stand up. When out stalking I wear advantage timber civilian cams and 3D leafy suit, as it is netting it is also cool. Lamping whatever is warm, Swanndori bush shirt etc. I also have a bright orange Ridgeline jumper that I wear. But my wet weather gear is plain green thats because I wear it walking the dog and around town. I tend not to wear jeans mainly because I don't like them, they are cold in winter and hell in summer so it's baggy cotton trous that are quick drying. We also wear web gear which you don't seem to as we have so much gear especially water that we have to carry.

Cam isn't a problem normally but it is practical and often better made and more comfortable than some stuff on the market.

Green jackets and tops with tweed or moleskin trousers/breeks and in the summer a lighter pair of cargo trousers. For lamping a quilted boiler suit.

I know I'm an old stick in the mud but to me camo looks a bit "iffy" and if I ever come across anyone locally wearing it I always wonder what they are up to. Having said that, for the last couple of years I have fancied a Realtree jacket but I just can't bring myself to buy one. You never know, one day I may do the deed and get with it.

Mike

I have a Deerhunter Montana jacket which is excellent and with the removable liner and fleece is very versatile.

I also have a Realtree hooded fleece which i wear most of the time when i am shooting or fishing.

I combine these two with Loden green light weight deertex trousers as i think that head to toe full cammo is a bit over the top.

If the cammo was not available i would go for the complete Loden green.

Ian.

Years ago i would wear tweed on the hill (along with 99% of all the other keepers/stalkers),now we use Realtree this and that! Now do you think the more modern stuff is actually better than the tweed stuff as far as concealment is concerned.If you look at all the different tweeds there are literally hundreds from gray through to brown with purples in between.

Tweed as you know from a performance point of view is very good at keeping you warm when wet except it is very heavy once soaked.

So what does everybody use/like Tweed,Realtree,DPM etc???And what about + four's/breeks??????????

mate of mine went buck stalking in breeks he had 120 mozzy bites below his knee ouch

Have a heavyweight Kammo jacket for when its really cold. Normally I wear leather walking boots, Laksen microfibre (green) trousers and a Laksen (Sika) jacket, with a hat or cap of some kind. The Laksen stuff is excellent quality and relatively cheap, its completely waterproof and breathable too with eough pockets to store everything I need (except a carcass).

Had the trousers for four years with no sign of them getting worn or losing water repellant quality, the jackets about twelve months old and as good as when I bought it.

The Kammo jackets are great, providing you are not in prolonged rain as although you remain dry, the materiel seems to retain water and gets VERY heavy.

Not a lover of camoflague, but I could be persuded to get a ghillie suite "just to see what the result was" :)

Well I have to come clean and admit I have both realtree type and DPM gear and I dont wear it any more, animals can see you for a number of reasons still ( it works on humans ) mainly they can see in both the IR and Uv spectrums ( particularly deer and foxes). They also go on movement and in the case of deer, even tiny changes to the scene around them are noticed ( photographic short term memory), so now I'm back to plain trousers and jackets ( with a spare room full of expensive cammo suits etc! ) and I see no difference except they cost a lot less, are available in any outdoor shop and I'm not regarded as an urban terrorist.

Redfox

Damn, I like dressing up, but not like Vim!

I have a Deerhunter jacket, forget the name it has a seat flap that you can unfold and it hangs down like beaver tail. I also have a browning realtree bib and brace, got it cheap, these two are an excellent combination in the wet/cold keep you warm and dry. I also have a selection of plain green cotton trousers, moleskins the usual stuff you accumulate. I am also very fond of tweed breeks, but, best for the winter. The bloody midges seem to take great delight in burrowing through the stockings and feasting on your legs, which means Summertime breeks are always worn with gaiters which are always well sprayed with whatever anti flying/biting/sucking beastie kit is available.

I also got one of those Jahti Jakt suits that were advertised in all the shooting press a couple of years ago, have never worn it in extreme conditions but have heard reports that they perform very well.

John

All that lovely war paint Varmartin you blend in wonderfully, shame about that big orange stick you have :P if only that was a pretty as you ;):P or even as pretty as the groups it can shoot ;)

Me I use 3D seclusion, real tree, DPM and tweed it all works well when you are in the right surroundings I think the most important thing is to cover the face and hands, and before Millpool says it I know my face needs covering :P but then I guess that's why his wife won't have mirrors in his house :lol: But she does have a photo of him on the fire place, she said it keeps the kids away so they won't get burnt :P:lol::lol::lol:

Guest varmartin

Nigel, that big orange stick is soon to be covered in camo paint, just find it hard to bring my self to do it.!!

Ps....I anticipated your post nige :lol: see the time on my previous... :lol: i must be sikik :lol:

Martin

I think the photo of you is wonderful I keep it behind my sun visor :lol: it's just that orange thing that shocks me :lol:

Just bring it over and I will put the air brush over it for you, maybe a nice pink to match your eye shadow :lol:

Guest varmartin

I cant help but like you mate...you piss takin bast*** :lol: :lol: :lol:

Martin

Ps..you aint going any where near it with an air brush.. i might end up with air like yours :lol:

Archived