.17HMR misfires

I am bit concerned that last night I suffered three separate misfires from 20 rounds.

17gn Hornady ballistic tip, a near new HW66 so nothing wrong with the firing pin, just makes me nervous as I eject the round and the thought of a "hang fire" in an open breech.

Also what do I do with the little beggers after I have retrieved them from the breech ?

Shot rounds have a neat impression from the firing pin indicting a firm contact.

I'm inclined to return the batches to my RFD.

Anyone else suffering this or any advise please.

ATB David

Guest Scotland_Rifles

Hi Dave

i had a few in a batch once, i even had one with no powder in, i then sent a e'mail to Hornady and to this day ( 4 years on) still no reply, the rfd was over 50 miles away so i just got on with it,

as for the miss fired round i just removed the head and dropped the lot in some old engine oil and then they went to the tip in the bin.

bob.

The quality of hmr ammo is shocking at the min! There's been a spate down south of rounds going bang but the bullet not leaving the barrel!!! I spoke to a lad in the gun shop and he'd bin out with his mate a few nights before and this happened to his mucker the rifle blew up and they spent the night in a&e! I'd take em back to the rfd and swap em!

I had quite a few miss fires using a .17hmr CZ and Fedral 17 grain ammo, on a few occasions when ejecting the cartridge the bullet head stayed in and on one occasion I inadvertently put another shell on top and fired ! This caused a blow back exploding two of the cartridges in the mag.

Scary stuff, so immediately binned the CZ in favour of a Sako Quad, never had a problem since even when using the same batch of ammo, also the Sako is great quality and more accurate then the CZ.

Hope this helps a bit.

Mike.............

I have been getting crap ammo for the 17HMR for some time. I have two bricks of it that is both erratic in accuracy and won't expand reliably; both bought over the last 4 years. Local supplies have been tainted with the same problems plaguing the ammo in the UK. As the GM of Green Mountain Rifle Barrels was telling me, "The bloom is off the Rose when it comes to the 17..." meaning that now that everyone got the rifles, they are letting QC slack off. Bad batches of ammo abound. I have three HMR's but stick to the 22WMR anymore. Much more consistent in accuracy and performance.~Andrew

I gave up on my 17 hmr a year ago and have never missed it.

I just use my 22 now for everything small and my 223 for anything that I shot with the hmr. My reloads dont cost anymore than hmr ammo I dont think, so now I dont have headaches wondering if its going to shoot accurately for me today or not.

Garry

Guest 6.5 X 55

Doesnt sound good. Ive never had a misfire. Im nearly out of my last batch of Hornady red tips that I bought over 12 months ago so it will be interestign to see if I start getting problems with the new ones I buy.

Archived