Rifle Barrel Choices -LW, Truflite, Archer etc

NICK

I watched my wife shoot a 30mm 5 shot group at 656 yards last week off an F/TR type bipod with a True-Flight. I seriously doubt there is a barrel in this world that would give her rifle better results.

Er, pity she didn't shoot it in competition - that would be a new UK 600 yard benchrest record!

Vince

Er, pity she didn't shoot it in competition - that would be a new UK 600 yard benchrest record!

Hey Vince, I guess you know which rifle I mean, sadly it was in DK and I am not sure the rifle is eligible for any BR classes as such, she was shooting off Stuarts old type FITO at the time so I was impressed. It was also working nicely on Stickledown Sunday at 1000, she only fell out of the V once to an odd vertical even if it was a TR dustbin lid sized V Bull she was shooting at.

Did you ever build one for yourself?

Hey Vince, I guess you know which rifle I mean, sadly it was in DK and I am not sure the rifle is eligible for any BR classes as such, she was shooting off Stuarts old type FITO at the time so I was impressed. It was also working nicely on Stickledown Sunday at 1000, she only fell out of the V once to an odd vertical even if it was a TR dustbin lid sized V Bull she was shooting at.

Did you ever build one for yourself?

The rifle would certainly be eligible and I do wish that a few more who clearly have accurate rifles would come along and give benchrest a try.

I haven't built myself a Smack - I'm still using the 22 Dasher (which holds the UK record) though the barrel is nearing the end of its accurate life.

Vince

The 22 Christel has just passed 800 rounds and is still looking good however I will pop an endoscope in the chamber this weekend as it is about time to check again. The rifle still gives the same unerring accuracy the four of us witnessed that cold mid week morning at Diggle on pretty well the same load as well. Apart from some slight tailoring to suit her fit it is the same rifle but with a 24X 'scope on it.

She could never get on with a front rest and much prefers a wide stable bipod and rear bag and has demonstrated that such a style works for her, I am hoping she will shoot the Phoenix F Class with me next year as she keeps threatening to do so. I just hope we are on different details then I will try and blag it for 4/5/600 as well. It is without a doubt the most accurate rifle I have ever shot and that includes my 7mmC.

Gents.

Thank you for your replies, a very interesting thread. Just need to order the Tru-Flite now:) .

Nick.

Nick,

Fox Firearms keep a good selection of Truflite (and others) and he is based at Diggle Ranges, so not too far away from you.

Vince

Chris.

Thank you, yes i have had a look at their site.

I did a search of old Forum posts and some good things were said about them by both shooters and the Smiths who machine them.Some of these dated back to 08 though so just wanted to check with current thinking.

Many thanks

Nick.

Vince

Thank you, i have spoken to Brian but he has nothing 25cal.He will order one in for me though. Very helpfull guy and could not do enough for me.

Being a Yorkshireman i thought i would just reassure myself about Tru-Flite before i part with my hard earned:) .

Thanks again.

Nick.

Archived