just trying to say hello

BOB LEE SWAGGER

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bob, and welcome.

Your fox story has obviously struck a chord with many guys here. A mixture of real countrymen who dont kill everything on sight, you will fit in here very well....enjoy the site. ;)

I know a huntsman in Wales who kept a fox as a pet, and also another terrierman in Cumbria who did the same. The most amazing photo i,ve ever seen was the pet fox, coupled up to a terrier, both sat on their arses, watching a puppy show. The pic was pre digital, and unshopped in any way.

A fascinating animal, and one that i would rather watch, and marvel at these days.

Hi Bob, and welcome.

Your fox story has obviously struck a chord with many guys here. A mixture of real countrymen who dont kill everything on sight, you will fit in here very well....enjoy the site. ;)

I know a huntsman in Wales who kept a fox as a pet, and also another terrierman in Cumbria who did the same. The most amazing photo i,ve ever seen was the pet fox, coupled up to a terrier, both sat on their arses, watching a puppy show. The pic was pre digital, and unshopped in any way.

A fascinating animal, and one that i would rather watch, and marvel at these days.

hi baldie thanks for your post and welcome note yes i feel in good company on this forum real countrymen is good term that u describe the membersi didnt realise ther were so many left would loved to have seen the fox an terrier together my whippet bitch would mother tht cub even when she grew up only thing i couldnt educate her to was table manners her would snatch an scoff everything offerd like it was her last to quote mr bucknell u can take the fox out the field but not the field out the fox quite true me thinks all the best bob lee

BLS I enjoyed the Fox story and believe hand on heart you made the correct choice in 'taking' that fox in, fair play to you ;)

[/quoteJ T S thanks for your post and and supportive comment i have over the years found quit a few young or hurt critters and always brought them home i had a bat for a few days a peregrine falcon , a young buzzard baby rabbits most survived the falcon died vet gave it too much anesthetic i am a sucker for young critters in trouble young maid came knockin on the door few years back she had 3 kittens in a laundry basket told me her mum said they got go or her mum was drown em so i took em mrs swagger came home from town and blew a circuit any way we kept em one went walkabout after 3yrs one got run over an we still got one so no need mrs swagger go on like that all those years ago bout i should only have chosen one WE GOT ONE funny how things turn out init all the best bob lee

Hi & well come BLS same as the others llike the fox story & have quite liked to do the the same but not had the oppertunity or found cubs abandoned. Was it a vixen did she smell or make a noise /scream in winter??.

hiya v max thankyo for your post and yeah she was a vixen and she most certainly smelt and so did the whippit as for screaming no not as such as you hear in winter in the country but she would make little wow wow wow sounds when she wanted attention she never grew that big i think she was the runt of the litter pity i lost her was an experience that will stay with me all the best B L S

Funny to hear the comments about people who keep foxes, think it is more common than people think.

A few years ago went caravanning with the (ex) mrs around Kelso/ jedburgh. Took my border collie for a nosey round, sorry dog walk. I suppose we were to all intents and purposes deerstalking without the rifle. Stood on a mains electric fence to let the dog over and WOW that last water crossing certainly made a difference :o

Watched a couple of deer wandering about, then saw a badger. Started thinking this place is teaming with wildlife. Spotted a couple of foxes in a field playing and got the dog to sit behind a fence. It was very well behaved. I moved 50 yds away from the dog but in sight to get a better view.

Lo and behold 30 minutes later a fox turns up between us. The dog just sat and stared. The fox seemed no wiser. The 2 foxes in the field were still out so I assumed they were part of the same litter. It set off walking across the field and noticed the others at which it ran full steam and disappeared.

It turned out the local hounds master owned the land and gave them a safe haven. :) Saw 6 foxes in one 10 acre'ish field.

The funny part of the story was on the way back I came across some LIONS !!!!!!!

No not real ones but well made wood cutouts with full size pictures glued on that somebody had been practicing on. The farmer told me that the next door went on safari and so set himself a practice area in the valley bottom.

Entertaining walk that night all told and saw absolutely loads of animals.

hiya alan thanks for the welcome happy to be aboard lots to learn here i am awestruck at some of the kit people have got in some of the photos beautifull lookin rifles and a site full of interesting characters yes i havnt been here long but already i am learning stuff by reading the posts i was always taught if you dont know somthing ASK theres no shame in it by the way i like yer site name sir slots a lot exellent regards B L S

BLS, (if I may be so bold!)

I'm not the biggest contributer but I read this forum regularly. Welcome.

You were priviledged to have a fox that close to you.

Sounds like we are members of the same club! Hope to meet sometime at Zelah?

I'm really into the 'backsides and bootsoles' lot ie target rifle, but we are all shooters after all.

ATB

JohnG

BLS, (if I may be so bold!)

I'm not the biggest contributer but I read this forum regularly. Welcome.

You were priviledged to have a fox that close to you.

Sounds like we are members of the same club! Hope to meet sometime at Zelah?

I'm really into the 'backsides and bootsoles' lot ie target rifle, but we are all shooters after all.

ATB

JohnG

HELLO JOHN G thankyou for your post yes mate you are right i felt priviledged to hav the fox and to be honest i was gutted when i lost her even now i keep wondering was it a result of somthing i did or did not do regarding her welfare i think or thought i had it pretty much coverd but then thats way it goes i guess oh and yes we are not very far apart so might see you at the range i aint a member ther but i been goin ti try out different loads and different bullets i thot i had that sorted untill a member told me that my bullet may not stabilise at longer range and i expect he is right as i been told he knows his stuff so i cut down from 75gamax to 60gvmax got good group up the range waitin to go for final zero then go and open the distance i wiil see you ther hopefully best regards B L S

Welcome on board BLS , shooter is a good movie but not true enough to the book really ? Point of impact is one of my favourite books of all time!

I would zero at a comfortable mag for you at 100 yds then group at say 300 at different mags and see if your poi changes I doubt it will with a nxs but worth a quick check?

Russ

Welcome on board BLS , shooter is a good movie but not true enough to the book really ? Point of impact is one of my favourite books of all time!

I would zero at a comfortable mag for you at 100 yds then group at say 300 at different mags and see if your poi changes I doubt it will with a nxs but worth a quick check?

Russ

hello russ thankyou for the welcome note and the zeroing tip i will giv it a go as soon as i can get out weather not good at momant high winds and plenty of rain hopefully grt up the range tuesday 100yds then see if i can find a decent long field on my permission thats safe backstop an no cattle or crop easier said than done but we shall see regards BLS

Hello :) Welcome to the forum

Kind regards,

Les ;)

hi lez thanks for welcome i see you pretty new on here like me seem to be a great bunch here very friendly and helpfull and brimming with experience thats somthing that cant be bought regards BLS

Hi BLS and welcome to the site, very interesting story about you’re captive fox, you were very fortunate in keeping the vixen in captivity, because in reality most foxes don’t ever settle down well when confined.

I have seen maybe a dozen or so cubs taken and reared by people, and without exception everyone looked very stressed and timid and would not allow anyone to safely handle them.

Plus the destructive ability of a fox reared and kept confined needs to be seen to be believed! Which I am sure you must be well aware of, after having yours for that amount of time.

Their life span seems to be very short when compared to some other wild animals, but I think that it’s due to the stress that they suffer when kept in captivity.

Some friends of mine who used to have a private wildlife park, kept a few foxes as an attraction for their children. But to be honest the foxes would have been far better off taking their chances in the wild, they never looked relaxed and happy as far as I could tell.

Baldie (Dave) mentioned a tame fox being coupled to a working terrier, I have seen fox hounds and working terriers that would tolerate a so called “tame fox” in their kennels, but the foxes never looked to my eyes as even slightly happy about the situation.

I know a very well known zoologist, who used to keep foxes as part of a study group, and the sheer damage that those foxes did their captive quarters was truly amazing!!

ATB Bob

Funny to hear the comments about people who keep foxes, think it is more common than people think.

A few years ago went caravanning with the (ex) mrs around Kelso/ jedburgh. Took my border collie for a nosey round, sorry dog walk. I suppose we were to all intents and purposes deerstalking without the rifle. Stood on a mains electric fence to let the dog over and WOW that last water crossing certainly made a difference :o

Watched a couple of deer wandering about, then saw a badger. Started thinking this place is teaming with wildlife. Spotted a couple of foxes in a field playing and got the dog to sit behind a fence. It was very well behaved. I moved 50 yds away from the dog but in sight to get a better view.

Lo and behold 30 minutes later a fox turns up between us. The dog just sat and stared. The fox seemed no wiser. The 2 foxes in the field were still out so I assumed they were part of the same litter. It set off walking across the field and noticed the others at which it ran full steam and disappeared.

It turned out the local hounds master owned the land and gave them a safe haven. :) Saw 6 foxes in one 10 acre'ish field.

The funny part of the story was on the way back I came across some LIONS !!!!!!!

No not real ones but well made wood cutouts with full size pictures glued on that somebody had been practicing on. The farmer told me that the next door went on safari and so set himself a practice area in the valley bottom.

Entertaining walk that night all told and saw absolutely loads of animals.

INTERESTING READ ELDON its amazing wot goes on in the country if one taks the time to observe lots walk in the country and look but many of them seldom see i saw a strange colourd fox few months ago never told any one cos thot they wouldnt believ me hardly believed it myself but saw it again a month ago think i need better specs BLS

Hi BLS and welcome to the site, very interesting story about you’re captive fox, you were very fortunate in keeping the vixen in captivity, because in reality most foxes don’t ever settle down well when confined.

I have seen maybe a dozen or so cubs taken and reared by people, and without exception everyone looked very stressed and timid and would not allow anyone to safely handle them.

Plus the destructive ability of a fox reared and kept confined needs to be seen to be believed! Which I am sure you must be well aware of, after having yours for that amount of time.

Their life span seems to be very short when compared to some other wild animals, but I think that it’s due to the stress that they suffer when kept in captivity.

Some friends of mine who used to have a private wildlife park, kept a few foxes as an attraction for their children. But to be honest the foxes would have been far better off taking their chances in the wild, they never looked relaxed and happy as far as I could tell.

Baldie (Dave) mentioned a tame fox being coupled to a working terrier, I have seen fox hounds and working terriers that would tolerate a so called “tame fox” in their kennels, but the foxes never looked to my eyes as even slightly happy about the situation.

I know a very well known zoologist, who used to keep foxes as part of a study group, and the sheer damage that those foxes did their captive quarters was truly amazing!!

ATB Bob

hi bob interesting post the only explanation for mine being so settled that i can think of was that she was very young when i found her still part black and i handled her most every day gave her food by hand and the whippit would wash her most days i have seen captive foxes on tv and you are right they do not look happy maybe i was just lucky and hand on my heart if i thought she was stressed or really un happy i would have been compelled to let her go and take her chances and i can honestly say she did no damage to the pen or the garden if i let her out for a play she would play fight with the whippet frequently i am convinced she thot fern my whippet was her mum but then i am no expert i fully intended to release her when she was grown enough but severel sources said wasnt a good idea and that they dont fare well after being in captivity also i was afraid she would be shot it was an experience if nothing else and if same circumstance arose again i would do the same again all the best B L S

Welcome on board mate, if you meet up with the Cornish Fruit Slayers, say high to them from me ,

cheers Andy

Hi andy thanks for your post i will certainly pass on your regards cornish slayers if i can find em and find out how to contact themand where they meet i am sure i will learn more about them as time goes on all the best bob

Archived