just trying to say hello

BOB LEE SWAGGER

hello all been tryin to get aboard the forum every time i tried to register it kept comin up error early last month had another go earlier this evening and found out i been aboard since last month cant remember how i managed it as not good with pc any way i seem to be finaly aboard hope i am using the right section to post in i live west cornwall and was hope to have a look at the cornish fruit slayers an see wot goes on when they have a meet i do a bit of rabbit bashin but got a passion to get into some longer range stuff i e problem foxes ive done a few for local poultry owners not many i could do more but i have watched more thru my scope than i have shot as i like to watch as well as shoot would like to talk with other foxers about foxing and foxes in general had one as a pet kept her till she died last year some might say i am soft in the head but ive learnt a few things from studying foxes and watching the one i had studying me i greatly admire bob bucknell two brilliant books and great respect for his quarry and no i am not a bunny hugger if i get a call to one causing problems and catch charlie where he shouldnt be i will slot him no hesitation ah well gone on long enough only meant to say hello all the best till dreckly dave

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome from preston. Was your pet fox quite tame or was wild as a kite still. A farmer down here used to have one but it would take your hand off of it got the opportunity.

Welcome on board and hopefully you will enjoy your stay here.

The Cornish Fruit Slayers are a good bunch of lads and are all very keen long range varminters. If you ever get to meet up you will learn a great deal.

Cheers

Dave

ps. You had better take a breath ;) as that was the longest sentence I've seen in a while :o .

Welcome from preston. Was your pet fox quite tame or was wild as a kite still. A farmer down here used to have one but it would take your hand off of it got the opportunity.

hello mate i found the fox in a muddy lane one nite coming of a nite shift working on the railway she was in a bad way so young still had blackish fur soakin wet coverd in mud so i took her home kept her warm in box an straw for couple days fed her mince beef an rabbit an she picked up quite fast she had a large pus filled wound below her eye so i took her vet an they got anti biotics into her no charge which i thot was decent of them i couldnt keep her indoors cos she would of wrecked the place an mrs would hav had sense of humor failiure so i put her out the pen with my whippet bitch an she took to her straight away i thot bout let her go as she grew but read somwhere that it not a good idea so she stayed with us got quite tame take food out my hand but only me no one else nor any one but me could pick her up i never botherd lead train her cos she didnt seem to like strangers any way to cut it short i went up country one monday to run a rail site an the friday mornin she had a fit by time i got home it was too late but thats life i guess at least she had a couple of years i reckon she wouldnt have made it till nex mornin if i hadnt picked her up that nite some might say i should of banged her skull in or let nature take its course that night but i am glad i picked her up all the best dave

Welcome on board and hopefully you will enjoy your stay here.

The Cornish Fruit Slayers are a good bunch of lads and are all very keen long range varminters. If you ever get to meet up you will learn a great deal.

Cheers

Dave

ps. You had better take a breath ;) as that was the longest sentence I've seen in a while :o .

hello 6mmbr thanks for the welcome glad to be aboard looking forward to meet the fruit slayers and learn a few things :D i have heard good things bout this forum and on reading the posts i can see thers a wealth of knowledge available just the job all the best for now bob

Welcome on board bob

What calibrs are you shooting at the moment?

hello spud thanks for the welcome at the moment i shoot 17 mach2 marlin 917vs which is awaiting a richards laminate stock also 17hmr anschutz 1517 and got a savage 12 bvss in 223 which i like to shoot prone on bipod cos it heavy just put a niteforce on it to hopefull do a bit longer range stuff be interestin to find out how far i can reach out with and for it to still be effective be interestin to find out if i can see that far let alone shoot hah we shall see or not :lol: all the best for now bob

hello mate i found the fox in a muddy lane one nite coming of a nite shift working on the railway she was in a bad way so young still had blackish fur soakin wet coverd in mud so i took her home kept her warm in box an straw for couple days fed her mince beef an rabbit an she picked up quite fast she had a large pus filled wound below her eye so i took her vet an they got anti biotics into her no charge which i thot was decent of them i couldnt keep her indoors cos she would of wrecked the place an mrs would hav had sense of humor failiure so i put her out the pen with my whippet bitch an she took to her straight away i thot bout let her go as she grew but read somwhere that it not a good idea so she stayed with us got quite tame take food out my hand but only me no one else nor any one but me could pick her up i never botherd lead train her cos she didnt seem to like strangers any way to cut it short i went up country one monday to run a rail site an the friday mornin she had a fit by time i got home it was too late but thats life i guess at least she had a couple of years i reckon she wouldnt have made it till nex mornin if i hadnt picked her up that nite some might say i should of banged her skull in or let nature take its course that night but i am glad i picked her up all the best dave

Well I for one are glad you picked her up, and welcome to the forum.

Welcome Bob, interesting read.

hello bobbo glad u enjoyed the fox cub story i was half worried that people would call me adipstick specially on a forum where so many foxers are members here and i know cubs got be dealt with on game shoots ect ect but this was diferent and i cant bring myself to kill for no reason i know a few down this way who do but thats theyre perogotive i guess any way all the best bob lee

Hello Bob lee interesting read. I am glad you picked her up, top man. :D

TERRY

hi terry thanks for your reply yeah i am glad picked her up couldnt leave her there i am sure that most people would done the same and as i said to bobbo foxes need to be controlled in the game and farming world i like to have a go myself if i get call out to a problem but i do it most of all for the challenge as probly most of us do and i reckon you can learn all the time i once baited up a spot for 4 nites and next mornin bait was dug up and gone so come weekend i set up camp to wait flicked lamp on every 5mins red filter and lo an behold at half midnite picked up eyes in beam straight to white cross hair on target NO SHOT BLOODY BADGER been feeding the bugger for 4 nights should of checked bait station more thorugh every day that was when i first started i know better now but like i said you lern all the time all the best bob lee

hello bobbo glad u enjoyed the fox cub story i was half worried that people would call me adipstick specially on a forum where so many foxers are members here and i know cubs got be dealt with on game shoots ect ect but this was diferent and i cant bring myself to kill for no reason i know a few down this way who do but thats theyre perogotive i guess any way all the best bob lee

Welcome on board BLS,

Admirably action with the fox cub, many members shoot/control foxes and most will agree that they are facinating creature, worthy of the utmost respect.

ATB

Steve

Welcome,

Hope you enjoy the site.

Regards

Rob

thanks rob for the welcome glad to be aboard hope to lean abit of stuff on here is that you in the photo with the charlie G on yer shoulder nice bit o foxing kit :lol:

hi terry thanks for your reply yeah i am glad picked her up couldnt leave her there i am sure that most people would done the same and as i said to bobbo foxes need to be controlled in the game and farming world i like to have a go myself if i get call out to a problem but i do it most of all for the challenge as probly most of us do and i reckon you can learn all the time i once baited up a spot for 4 nites and next mornin bait was dug up and gone so come weekend i set up camp to wait flicked lamp on every 5mins red filter and lo an behold at half midnite picked up eyes in beam straight to white cross hair on target NO SHOT BLOODY BADGER been feeding the bugger for 4 nights should of checked bait station more thorugh every day that was when i first started i know better now but like i said you lern all the time all the best bob lee

Hi bob I have 4 high seats out at the moment all baited up I have been using tins of dog food with carrots in it and even the carrots have been going ha ha ha its not all about killing sometimes its nice just to sit back and watch and learn.Off for a cup of tea then going out foxing hopefully to learn a bit more

Terry ;)

Welcome on board BLS,

Admirably action with the fox cub, many members shoot/control foxes and most will agree that they are facinating creature, worthy of the utmost respect.

ATB

Steve

thanks steve glad you think of charlie in the same way as me to be honest i half expected som flack from people was ready to do a quick exit from the forum but all replies so far are A1 cheers mate bls

Welcome BOB LEE SWAGGER,

Took a while to recall the movie,

SHOOTER !!!

Great movie.

Hope you enjoy it here. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable guys on here.

hello ronny yeah mate shooter good movie hop to learn a bit on here mate got one for you as i hav been given 2 different answers to a question i asked i want to zero my scope at 100yds nf 5.5 x 22 x50 do i zero at the mag i normally shoot on or zero on full mag regards bls

Welcome BLS.

Regarding your zero question, on a cheap scope the mag and zero can go all over i.e. not same zero at max and min mag. However on a Nightforce or similar quality you should be ok so zero at what you want. Generally zero on high mag initially, but then use low mag to benefit from the wider field of view and so picking the target up quicker and easier. ;)

Welcome, BOB LEE SWAGGER, hope you enjoy the forum, great name by the way sound's like you were in the Waltons :lol:

Andy

thanks andy glad to be aboard a mate gave me the bob lee logo when i scat the head off a matchstick at about 18 yds with his air rifle and i can assure you ther was no skill involved just lucky but i didnt tell him that i made the excuse i was running late and quickly left before he asked me to do it again :lol: all the best bob lee

Welcome BLS.

Regarding your zero question, on a cheap scope the mag and zero can go all over i.e. not same zero at max and min mag. However on a Nightforce or similar quality you should be ok so zero at what you want. Generally zero on high mag initially, but then use low mag to benefit from the wider field of view and so picking the target up quicker and easier. ;)

aah thanks eldon thats wot i will do when an if i can get up the range nex week i usally shoot 10 mag 0r 12 x so i will try on a bit higher then drop back to my normal setting many thanks mate regards bob lee

Hi bob I have 4 high seats out at the moment all baited up I have been using tins of dog food with carrots in it and even the carrots have been going ha ha ha its not all about killing sometimes its nice just to sit back and watch and learn.Off for a cup of tea then going out foxing hopefully to learn a bit more

Terry ;)

terry you got it in oneabout learning we are lucky that we do wot we do and get to see things in the countryside that the average tv soap jockeys dont g0t a clue wot goes on outside their back garden gate by night and day ie a couple of times out calling with a W A M foxcall ive had a big barn owl hover a few feet above my head trying to hom in on the sound beautifull sight in the lamp beam i stopped calling tho cos didnt want go home wearing a barn owl for a nose i keep a bird of prey and i know it hurts if u get complacent wiv em actually i got two birds of prey one up in the aviary and one i married who is down the livin room watching garbage on telly :lol: :lol: good luck with the high seats dont leave your flask ther as that will go as well to wash down the carrots regards bob lee

Welcome to the forum BLS...nice story about the fox...Im sure it was exactly the right thing to do and something you will not forget..

Im sure to cross your path one day at the club !

martin hello mate thanks for welcome glad you like fox yarn i show you a photo of her if i get to club meet somtime i looked at one of your posts yesterday bout the long rang rabbit if i remember right quite an old post i like youre outfit nice rifle and awsome shooting if i am right you aint too far away from me i used to use a vet out your way called doody good vet he was any way like you say we may meet up i look fwd to that all the best bob lee

Archived