lifesize varmint targets

Firstly a message to the moderators...not sure where to put this so please reposition or remove as appropriate.

Local chap with a cnc plasma cutter will shortly be offering fullsize varmint targets made from hardox 400...crows, rabbits, gongs, boar, etc.

This post is just to test the water, the lifesize fox will be approx £280 including the base.

Please feel free to reply or pm me for further details or have a nose on www.onelesscharlie.webs.com

thanks

Colin

Firstly a message to the moderators...not sure where to put this so please reposition or remove as appropriate.

Local chap with a cnc plasma cutter will shortly be offering fullsize varmint targets made from hardox 400...crows, rabbits, gongs, boar, etc.

This post is just to test the water, the lifesize fox will be approx £280 including the base.

Please feel free to reply or pm me for further details or have a nose on www.onelesscharlie.webs.com

thanks

Colin

You know it sounds great till you get to the £280 bit, thats a lot of dosh for something to shoot at compared to a sheet of plywood that you can cut a good half dozen out of. I trust he has done his market research before he cuts a lot out

Colin

I have seen the fox steel target and it is heavy weight and seems very well made I like the idea of a sliding rack at the heart where you can insert the midi clays as you mentioned. Re the price I think in the region of £100 - £150 would be fair for this quality cut out.

Regards

Well you get my point, no point producing things that are great without regards to the cost- its a small market so personally speaking i would want to take a high persentage of it by lower pricing (that might mean making it to a price rather than ultimate spec). Good luck.

Consider making bulk purchase of scrap or sub std plate if i were manufacturing this product - we is gonna shoot at it and leave them out in the wind and rain. postage is going to be a killer aint it?

And it better be made of armor plate. A good CF will crater mild steel. I used to cut game targets from cardboard and place a plastic bag full of common baking flour behind the heart area. Even at distances beyond the spotting scope a hit to the vitals produces a white cloud you could see through the scope.~Andrew

I agree.

I like the idea of a knockdown rabbit target for my centerfire but at that cost I wouldn't entertain it.

If you said £50-75 I would have probably made an order though.

Check out the prices for these targets.

Gong targets from the USA.

Please pass on my thoughts.

Hi Ronny

Prices are based on material cost... as such a little rabbit will be far cheaper than a fox, I will get you a price asap.

just been told £60 in hardox for a full size, side on target.

regards

Colin

Not wanting to be awkward but WMS sell targets and their a fair bit cheaper than these:

http://www.wms-firearmstraining.org/steel-targets-for-sale

Hi Gandy

They certainly supply similar targets...I think you will find that their side on fox is £275, perhaps we can drop a fiver to match.

regards

Colin

Hi Gandy

They certainly supply similar targets...I think you will find that their side on fox is £275, perhaps we can drop a fiver to match.

regards

Colin

Some random thoughts meant helpfully:

How many have WMS sold at that price? [ -could be none :unsure: ]

Who's going to win the race if you just match prices? [ if they do sell at that price point; what's your USP over the WMS product that will cause people to choose yours? ]

I suppose it depends what / who you visualise as being the target market for very expensive, low portability (ie semi-permanent) metal fox targets. Personally, I can't see it. :)

Hi Gandy

regards

Colin

Colin Your quite right I had neglected to look at your website, to my credit though please look at my location. They are still a fair bit cheaper, a fiver is a lot to a Yorkshire man!

:lol:

What sort of price would you be looking for for a 200mm disk with two small holes cut near the edge for hanging.

I would have thought this will be your best seller, ie, to the long range gong shooters.

Most of us use miild steel offcuts that come buckshee (or beer money) and just throw them back on the scrap heap when full of holes. It would certainly be nice to have steel that lasted though.

Beware that pricing in line with WMS would be like putting a label on your product that says only for folks with more money than sense..........sadly these folk really do exist!

Rup

What sort of price would you be looking for for a 200mm disk with two small holes cut near the edge for hanging.

I would have thought this will be your best seller, ie, to the long range gong shooters.

Most of us use miild steel offcuts that come buckshee (or beer money) and just throw them back on the scrap heap when full of holes. It would certainly be nice to have steel that lasted though.

Beware that pricing in line with WMS would be like putting a label on your product that says only for folks with more money than sense..........sadly these folk really do exist!

Rup

Firstly thanks to everybody for their comments and thoughts... all are much appreciated.

As for cost of these targets all I can say is that this Hardox steel is pretty expensive and a big percentage of the overall cost is taken up by the material.

As for competing with WMS, well I suppose competition is healthy for all concerned.

The main reason for the post was really just to let people know that this product is available, not for those with more money than sense (although im sure we wouldnt turn them away) but for those who wanted a hardened steel target that would stand up to the rigours of being hammered by a centrefire rifle, it has been mentioned that gongs would be the most popular type of target and if that is what people want then that is what he will provide.

Once again ta and i look forward to any other comments

Colin

Hi Colin

I know I rambled on a bit but I am serious about wanting a price for an indestructable 200mm disk or two. Can you ask your man for me.

Thanks

Rup

Hi Rup

200mm gongs in Hardox 400 complete with hanging holes would be £22 plus the good old vat

He also does 150mm and 70mm for the more challenging shot (priced accordingly)

regards

Colin

Hi Rup

200mm gongs in Hardox 400 complete with hanging holes would be £22 plus the good old vat

He also does 150mm and 70mm for the more challenging shot (priced accordingly)

regards

Colin

Well those look waaaay more attractively priced than that fox example :)

Well those look waaaay more attractively priced than that fox example :)

Yes agreed, now we are talking about a more realistic product that would appear to have a market.

So a 150 mm disc with x2 hanging holes would be how much including delivery?

Just out of interest how thick are you making these discs?

Yes agreed, now we are talking about a more realistic product that would appear to have a market.

So a 150 mm disc with x2 hanging holes would be how much including delivery?

Just out of interest how thick are you making these discs?

Hi

Price would be approx £33 including vat and carriage.

The discs are 12mm thick (photos to follow if i can workout how to get my kb allowance up)

regards

Colin

Before we start putting in orders can you do a test of the material first with a few pics maybe so we know what we are getting.

I have a few crows rabbits and sitting fox from WMS which are great but would like some discs to hang.

Mick

No problem.... how about if i pepper it with my .223. I normally use 60g soft points but i can try some 55g ballistic tips as well.

regards

Colin

The discs are 12mm thick (photos to follow if i can workout how to get my kb allowance up)

Colin, rather than doing thumbnails here - which will run out of capacity really quickly - open a photobucket account, upload the photos there, and then just copy and paste the link code here.

Hi

Price would be approx £33 including vat and carriage.

regards

Colin

Hi Colin,

I would be interested in one of the 200mm discs,

Let me know when you will be ready to take orders,

Regards,

Nick.

Archived