Accuracy International AE MK III

LONG RANGE CAPT

Have they changed the bolt design of the AE (Mk 111) Rob?

Looks like an AW bolt shroud.

Like the stock colour.

Pity I could never get comfortable with the bloody AI stocks though.

Have they changed the bolt design of the AE (Mk 111) Rob?

Looks like an AW bolt shroud.

Like the stock colour.

Pity I could never get comfortable with the bloody AI stocks though.

The bolts were always the same - they just used to put a naff shroud on the ones going on the AEs.

This rifle is now getting near being an AW from the look of it.

Be interested in seeing it with the side panels off; if you can get the trigger assembly on/off without removing the action from the chassis, strikes me you might as well epoxy the action to the chassis; then you really have got a 90% AW.

Ha, its probably better if you do pick it up for me after the way I've shot today, going to have to shoot my ass off in the hostage rescue shot tomorrow if I want to qualify for the next stage the 180 degree dynamic range. Rob you look very happy and red in that picture.

Hey Rob, like the fly shoot patch.......Has Dan got one on his bag ?

:lol::lol::lol:

Dave,

Good question and a bit of a sore point - so ashamed was he that he's fled the country !!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Well Dans got a big empty space on his gun bag which he hopes to fill next year.

If he doesn't get his patch I think we might see a few more Teddy's. :D:D:D

In all fairness he did get a respectable score, higher than mine, but not a patch - :lol::lol::lol:

I haven't earnt the patch, I always said group size is the test of true marksmanship :-) (i really want that badge though), im just not as lucky a you guys. Ah, Dave, good to hear from you:-). After todays mediocre pistol shooting performance I do need more teddys, will have to drown my sorrows in Ottawa :-).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

I'm a nub on this forum. I practice long range shooting in the western France.

I've passed an order for one too B) , but I'm waiting for the UK papers.

Graeme is nice and help me to fill in form

Perhaps, I'll pass another order for a AW, but I need more time. Price is higher and this purchase isn't the priority (dixit my wife ;-D )

Have fun,

Julien

The bolts were always the same - they just used to put a naff shroud on the ones going on the AEs.

This rifle is now getting near being an AW from the look of it.

Be interested in seeing it with the side panels off; if you can get the trigger assembly on/off without removing the action from the chassis, strikes me you might as well epoxy the action to the chassis; then you really have got a 90% AW.

Just out of interest would epoxying the action to the chassis be an easy job?

Just out of interest would epoxying the action to the chassis be an easy job?

I once had my AW action removed from the chassis by an utter muppet who I'd given it to to thread the barrel for a mod; he gave it back to me un-bonded :wacko::mad: Key thing with an AW is that it needs little 0.6mm brass washers around every chassis/action bolt to lift the action 0.6mm from the chassis in order to have a definded 'sandwich' of epoxy between the action and chassis.

I took the rifle into the armourers at work who kindly got me a bunch of the AI 0.6mm brass washers (still got a bunch if anyone needs some) and then walked and talked me through putting it back together properly epoxied, spaced and torqued.

With a bit of care, it was easy.

I would have thought on an AE, without the requirement for spacers, it would be an absolute no-brainer to do - I think you'd just want to keep a mind to the distribution of the epoxy in terms of being able to heat gun it apart again if you absolutely had to.

I'd have to ask a smith's opinion here as to whether an AE barrel change could be achieved with the action glued in place - I suspect that maybe the fly in the ointment because of that silly rem700-style barrel lug thing that's in the AE.

So -ridiculously easy to do; not sure where it leaves an AE on in-situ barrel changes.

I once had my AW action removed from the chassis by an utter muppet who I'd given it to to thread the barrel for a mod; he gave it back to me un-bonded :wacko::mad: Key thing with an AW is that it needs little 0.6mm brass washers around every chassis/action bolt to lift the action 0.6mm from the chassis in order to have a definded 'sandwich' of epoxy between the action and chassis.

I took the rifle into the armourers at work who kindly got me a bunch of the AI 0.6mm brass washers (still got a bunch if anyone needs some) and then walked and talked me through putting it back together properly epoxied, spaced and torqued.

With a bit of care, it was easy.

I would have thought on an AE, without the requirement for spacers, it would be an absolute no-brainer to do - I think you'd just want to keep a mind to the distribution of the epoxy in terms of being able to heat gun it apart again if you absolutely had to.

I'd have to ask a smith's opinion here as to whether an AE barrel change could be achieved with the action glued in place - I suspect that maybe the fly in the ointment because of that silly rem700-style barrel lug thing that's in the AE.

So -ridiculously easy to do; not sure where it leaves an AE on in-situ barrel changes.

Interesting idea, I'd like to know too, and id also like to know what epoxy they would use for a perminant bond. Only reason AI havent don't it yet is it probably negates the need to sell the AW any more. Any smiths thoughts please?

Dan

Archived