Fireforming loads.

6mmBR

Just a quick one, when my rifle comes back from Border I will need some fireforming loads to get the formed brass.

I know I need to seat the bullet into the lands by 10 thou to keep the case head spaced ok.

What I want to know am I better using a powder on the fast side of the spectrum or one on the slower side?

Along the lines like N135 or N150? I also have 540 and 550?

Cheers

Dave

Dave

I used a heavy bullet (60g Sierra HP) which are long and loaded them with a MAX load from the Sierra book for standard 22-250. They were loaded 0.010 - 0.020" into the lands so that the case head was forced back onto the bolt face.

Squeeze trigger and your 22-250 case becomes a 22-250 AI - I recall using 41grains of H4831SC BUT CHECK THIS BEFORE USING PLEASE.

I'm not sure what twist your barrel is, but if it is a fast one like mine (1-8" twist), I would recommend trying Moly 75g A-Max and 39.5g of RL22 = 3000fps and an ES of 9fps :lol:

AGAIN please work up to this if you use it...

Andy

Guest Smeagle

The simple quick answer is go as fast as is safe to do so. You want rapid expansion to form the case as evenly as possible.

Stick within the limits though.

Agree with the others boys here , When i had a 243 ackley with a 1 in 9 twist , i loaded the 105 a-max 10 -20 thou into lands and i used a fast powder for bullet weight ( i was using H4895) .. Never had any problems fireforming using this method :lol:;)

All the best.............

RAY......................... ;) ;)

She's going to have a 1in12 twist, so I'll probably go for a 55vmax and N135 which is the faster of the powders I have.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dave

Hi Dave,

JR will confirm this, in a properly cut Ackley chamber you will not need to seat the bullets into the lands.

The chamber should be cut about .004" shorter then the standard chamber resulting in some crush of the case shoulder and resistance when closing the bolt.

Many smiths, if they dont have dedicated Ackley headspace gauges will use the "GO" gauge from the parent case as a "NO-GO" gauge and use an unfired case as the "GO".

A simple test is to close the bolt on a new unfired case, if you feel more reisitance on closing the bolt then usual then the chamber is correct.

If you dont feel any noticeable resistance then your chamber has been cut to deep and you will have an excessive headspace condition.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived