Quad shooting rest

Hi folfs,

Considering making a shooting rest for my honda fourtrax farm quad.

I want it mainly to use for lamping and possibly a bit of daytime rabbit/crow action if I fancy being lazy instead of using my legs.

I use my quad everyday on the farm for chasing cattle or feeding so this unit has to be detachable.

I am thinking of buying a vehicle mounted lamp aswell and making some sort of bracket on this platform for the lamp to do away with mounting it on the scope to leave the rifle lighter and less bulky.

Im not a fan of harris bipods so shooting from sort of a rest or bags would be better with this setup.

I would also like to find some way of holding the rifle on the quad when im travelling without knocking the scope over rough ground etc.

Just thought id ask here to see if anyone has any idead or has made something similar or has any pictures they could share?

Regards

Garry

Hi folfs,

I want it mainly to use for lamping and possibly a bit of daytime rabbit/crow action if I fancy being lazy instead of using my legs.

I use my quad everyday on the farm for chasing cattle or feeding so this unit has to be detachable.

I am thinking of buying a vehicle mounted lamp aswell and making some sort of bracket on this platform for the lamp to do away with mounting it on the scope to leave the rifle lighter and less bulky.

Im not a fan of harris bipods so shooting from sort of a rest or bags would be better with this setup.

I would also like to find some way of holding the rifle on the quad when im travelling without knocking the scope over rough ground etc.

Just thought id ask here to see if anyone has any idead or has made something similar or has any pictures they could share?

Regards

Garry

Hi Garry,I dont always have a lamp man I use my quad bike as I have bad legs I sling my rifle over my front I made a bracket out of aloy and attatched to the rest hope this helps Terry

I don't have any photos but i will do my best to explain what i used on my suzuki quad.First i found a hard plastic box box which was fastend to the front rack of the bike with u bolts.Two slots were cut out of either side of the box and lined with pipe lagging.This is the gun rest and providing they are cut right will hold a rifle whilst travelling no problems.Then get a welder to weld a semi circle of pipe to two lengths of pipe about 2 foot high with plates on the bottom with holes in.U bolt this to the front rack through the box.Cover in pipe lagging ,Chuck a lamp on rest and bobs youre aunty :D .The strange thing we never shot many foxes of the quad we always had more sucess with the truck.Hope you kind of understand what i'm trying to explain.

ATB SEAN

Terry,

Thats similar to what im after but id like a raised flat platform at chest level so that I can support the rifle at the back aswell as up front. More so for bunnies/crows rather than fox as youre setup would adequetly do for lamping under normal distances.

Its a tidy job, did you make it youreself or buy it? Its not far from my thinking with the mounted lamp etc.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

Garry

I don't have any photos but i will do my best to explain what i used on my suzuki quad.First i found a hard plastic box box which was fastend to the front rack of the bike with u bolts.Two slots were cut out of either side of the box and lined with pipe lagging.This is the gun rest and providing they are cut right will hold a rifle whilst travelling no problems.Then get a welder to weld a semi circle of

pipe to two lengths of pipe about 2 foot high with plates on the bottom with holes in.U bolt this to the front rack through the box.Cover in pipe lagging ,Chuck a lamp on rest and bobs youre aunty :D .The strange thing we never shot many foxes of the quad we always had more sucess with the truck.Hope you kind of understand what i'm trying to explain.

ATB SEAN

Sean,

Youre idea sounds as if it would suit my purpose a bit better, I like the sound of the way you cut the box to hold the rifle, though it would need to be rifle specific cus if I was using a diff rifle it might not work but I supose I could cut two slots for the two rifles.

I think I know what you mean by the rifle rest, if it was on a turn table or something similar it would give freedom of movement.

Im starting to get a few ideas already.....

Garry

Terry,

Thats similar to what im after but id like a raised flat platform at chest level so that I can support the rifle at the back aswell as up front. More so for bunnies/crows rather than fox as youre setup would adequetly do for lamping under normal distances.

Its a tidy job, did you make it youreself or buy it? Its not far from my thinking with the mounted lamp etc.

Thanks for sharing that with me.

Garry

Garry have a look www.solwayfeeders.com/ -

This is my setup. The padded pipe frame is removable in 1 minute - it locates under the rack tubing with a tab and is lashed in place with strips of tyre tubing. Very secure but in the event of a crash, has some give. Both the yoke gunrack on the front of the box and the wooden cradle for the bigger rifle are easily removable (with wingnuts) if you need them out of the way. I use the bars as the back support for more steady shooting. Has definitely increased the long range hit rate over just using the bars and having the ammo right there is handy.

Racks1.jpg

Racks6.jpg

RackMounting.jpg

It took various mock-ups to get a rack that cleared the bars at full lock. I tried to get another yoke rack on the shooting frame but it proved impossible. The high density polyethylene foam in the wooden rack sort of grips the rifle and it's very secure. Designed the cradle so you could have the bipod left on the rifle.

My next job is to fit a spotlight clip which won't be a great challenge

Chris-NZ

Hi, I've got one of these - very good keithshighseats.co.uk/products

ATB Bonio

Hi folfs,

Regards

Garry

Chris,

Youre idea is good with the capacity for storing ammo etc, I like youre wooden rack for holding youre barnard actioned rifle, looks very sturdy in holging the rifle tight.

Bonio,

I had a look at them there, they look very bulky and restrictive for getting on and off the quad in a hurry (opening gates etc).

I think im after a more platform type rest to shoot off where I can get the rifle steadier but thanks for sharing that with me.

Regards

Garry

Maybe something like this attached to the rear framework:

Capture.jpg

Those circles are hinges in case my precision tech drawing doesn't mean anything. You'd put the bike on its side stand and open it out as a third foot. A bungee would hold it up closed til you needed it

Chris-NZ

Nice!! I like it. Thanks! I may give that a go! I pick the bike up tomorrow and will probably start modifying it...oh...ten minutes later! I find 4 wheelers (quads) too cumbersome so I will be using a 2x2 for my varminting,instead. Andrew

Archived