How to obtain a 22-250 or 260 for Varminting?

Mike6.5

Good day all

I’ve noticed a lot of the guys here are using 223, 22-250, 243 and 6.5-47 to shoot Varmint (Rabbit,Corvids etc) and I'm intrigued how you went about in applying for the permission from your local constabulary?

I use a 22-250AI and 260 Rem for foxes and a 308 and 260 for deer, all 3 calibers are on an open ticket.

To shoot "Vermin" I only have the .22LR.

I would like to use the 22-250ai or 260Rem to shoot Rabbits and crows but I’m not sure how to go about it?

Should I just ask for it and see what they say or not?

Could any of you guys please put me on the right track, I would appreciate any advice on writing up an application.

Thank you for your time

Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lancashire won't give 22-250 for varmint they say it's over kill :wacko: bugs me know end as i have to take 2 rifles out

Damn annoying, sorry for you. I remember hearing the same said about Avon & Somerset plods. These arbitrary rulings! Most of them know far too little about ballistics etc to make any sort of informed judgement. I never experienced any difficulty with having 22-250 certificated for vermin, under Devon & Cornwall - I've had four in this chambering over the years, on open ticket, as well as other cal's. I don't know where the OP lives but in relation to 22-250 he could suggest, in his letter of application, that it's a very flat-shooting round which is ideal for small vermin as well as fox, can be zeroed at a goodly Point Blank Range for reliable accuracy, is safe because the extra velocity absolutely ensures bullet fragmentation (assuming good varmint bullets pref. polymer tipped) whether it hits the quarry or not, and (optional, maybe!) can be used for deer in Scotland too... In many circumstances, having a rifle chambered for 22-250 would avoid the circumstance you describe, of having to carry two rifles - surely even the dimmest plod would appreciate the sense of that.

Tony

Same in cheshire they wont allow so same as camo304 have take 2 rifles..even though i argued the case that taking 2 is unsafe..they wont change.

Mick

Cheshire seem to have gone really anti gun over the past few years, not sure why, but they seem to want to oppose everything. :angry::angry:

Andy

I think its totaly insane that it verys so much from force to force, it should be the same across the country. I live in Cumbria and i have my .243 down for varmint with no problems.

Lancashire won't give 22-250 for varmint they say it's over kill :wacko: bugs me know end as i have to take 2 rifles out

I think this is the best approach, having to leave a rifle in the car is a bad thing. It worked for me, but wiltshire are pretty easy going.

Rup

All my rifles also cover vermin........22rf...22/250AI...6.5x55...Devon & Cornwall Constabulary, it makes perfect sense.

Tony.

Are none of you affiliated to S.A.C.S. if not trhen you need to join quick smart,because unlike BASC they will actually do something about this stupidity.So,get on the blower lads/lasses and do yourself a favour.

http://www.sacs.org.uk/

Ive had George Wallace from NGO on the case for past 12 months as like you say BASC wont even try..but after all georges letters and phone calls to cheshire the wicked witch from cheshire wont reason with any suggestions put to her.

End of the day what we put to her was common sense obv she has none.

Err, they will. However it seems to be a case of to who, were and on what day. We should now have our new head of licencing in place BTW. Sykes was alway ok with me though many said otherwise the guy i got last time seemed hell bent on Gun reduction and made me loose my HMR as he thought i had too many vermin rifles (like thats even possible)yet was more than happy for any c/fire .22 cal to be added. The discusion with him was farsicle to say the least, i wonder if he had ever even used rifles in the field :rolleyes:

They are very keen to hand out open tickets like candy though presently to many unsuitable persons IMO as it saves them time on land inspections. Why oh why cant we have national standardisation and decent staff with the correct knoledge all across the country :rolleyes:

Err, they will. However it seems to be a case of to who, were and on what day. We should now have our new head of licencing in place BTW. Sykes was alway ok with me though many said otherwise the guy i got last time seemed hell bent on Gun reduction and made me loose my HMR as he thought i had too many vermin rifles (like thats even possible)yet was more than happy for any c/fire .22 cal to be added. The discusion with him was farsicle to say the least, i wonder if he had ever even used rifles in the field :rolleyes:

They are very keen to hand out open tickets like candy though presently to many unsuitable persons IMO as it saves them time on land inspections. Why oh why cant we have national standardisation and decent staff with the correct knoledge all across the country :rolleyes:

I have a - who as .223 for varmin on his ticket done by Sykes, seems years ago it was far easier to get what you wanted, Like you say they seem hell bent on gun reduction know.

I have a - who as .223 for varmin on his ticket done by Sykes, seems years ago it was far easier to get what you wanted, Like you say they seem hell bent on gun reduction know.

No mate dead recent. Big issues are level of experiance and location and need

Good day all

I’ve noticed a lot of the guys here are using 223, 22-250, 243 and 6.5-47 to shoot Varmint (Rabbit,Corvids etc) and I'm intrigued how you went about in applying for the permission from your local constabulary?

I use a 22-250AI and 260 Rem for foxes and a 308 and 260 for deer, all 3 calibers are on an open ticket.

To shoot "Vermin" I only have the .22LR.

I would like to use the 22-250ai or 260Rem to shoot Rabbits and crows but I’m not sure how to go about it?

Should I just ask for it and see what they say or not?

Could any of you guys please put me on the right track, I would appreciate any advice on writing up an application.

Thank you for your time

Mike

I wrote a covering letter explaining how there was moorland areas heavily populated with rabbits that I could not access due to birds nesting and disturbing them etc so I needed to shoot across the heather onto the valley/hills where the rabbits were at 4-500 yards with a larger calibre rifle i.e. 6.5x47. ;)

Monday morning I phoned North Wales Police and told them what my requirements were.

Their reply was “Send in the application and we will deal with it once we receive it and the FLO will be in touch once we have reviewed the app”.

I’ll post a copy of what I’m going to request and let you know how I get on.

Just been told by Lancs send in your ticket with letter and we will look at adding rabbit while out foxing 22-250 IF you get rid of your Rimfires?? and just have the one rifle for all, how bloody mad is this :blink: think i better look at moving to another county :wacko:

Archived