how to get into target shooting

sporting rifles

• 2 months later...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i am also interested in F-Class.. Im in the North of England so assume diggle is the closest? As i know nothing about it apart from the technicalities of F-Class from the web, wheres a good place to start? Are target clubs the type of place you can just turn up? When is the season? How many rounds do you expect to fire over a day, do you shoot as a team?

Any help much appreciated!!

Ben

Ben

there is alot of info on the F Class UK web site.

In essence though:

Two categories in the UK league - Open and FTR

Open - any calibre up to 8mm

FTR - restricted to 223 and 308

Neither is cheaper than the other as both use top end kit to be competative.

Usualy 6 - 8 comps per year (each being 2 days)

Round count would be circa 100 per comp plus blow off shots

Distances shot 600, 800, 900, 1000 yds

The shoots revolve around three sites:

Blair Athol, Diggle, Bisley.

Each shoot will cost circa 100 to enter, accomodation and food and ammo.

You need to have entered at least 4 shoots to be in the "running"

Yes, its not a cheap sport,

yes, its very, very competative,

Yes, its addictive and alot of fun.

You shoot in pairs.

Hope that helps

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i am also interested in F-Class.. Im in the North of England so assume diggle is the closest? As i know nothing about it apart from the technicalities of F-Class from the web, wheres a good place to start? Are target clubs the type of place you can just turn up? When is the season? How many rounds do you expect to fire over a day, do you shoot as a team?

Any help much appreciated!!

Ben

Ben,

You can certainly turn up at Diggle. We have an F Class shoot this Sunday at 900 yds. Let me know if you want to come along for a chat.

E-mail me on vinceb@targetshooteronline.com Satnav postcode: OL3 5LB

Cheers

Vince (Memb. SEc. Diggle)

Thanks guys for the fast replies. Vince, i would love to come to diggle, this weekend is a bit short notice although i will drop you an email to touch base. Do i need to registered with anyone before turning up at a club? How do people get into target shooting? As you say ronin, its not cheap so would it be acceptable for me to turn up with my 7-08 and have a go? what other equipment do you need apart from rifle, rounds, bipod/rest, wind meter and i suppose you dont even need the range finder? Do many people shoot off bipods?

Thanks

Ben

just wondering what is needed and how to get into target shooting,its something Ive been thinking of for a while

Hi,

If you are in the South of England try the Old Sergeants Mess Shooting Club (www.osmshooting.org.uk)at Bisley, they are one of the most approachable and friendly clubs at Bisley. They shoot most disciplines and have a club shoot (a.m. and p.m.) almost every weekend. Check out the website for details of the clubhouse, armoury, bar etc.

Alan

Hi,

If you are in the South of England try the Old Sergeants Mess Shooting Club (www.osmshooting.org.uk)at Bisley, they are one of the most approachable and friendly clubs at Bisley. They shoot most disciplines and have a club shoot (a.m. and p.m.) almost every weekend. Check out the website for details of the clubhouse, armoury, bar etc.

Alan

Thanks Alan, shame im in North Yorkshire.. Diggle would be my closest range although its still a few hours down the road!

Ben

you could certainly turn up and shoot with your 7mm-08.

But, if you came to a UK League shoot, you would be in Open class and up against rifles that are sub 1/4 MOA at 1000 yds (with no wind)

The best thing to do though, is take up Vinces offer, have a go and see what you think, if you like it, you'll need a budget for rifle, scope, rest, bag, matt, wet gear etc and take things from there.

Its a big commitment, but hell, its fun!! :) :) :)

Cheers Ronin,

Ive found over the last year that the whole long range thing is very rewarding. Its a culmination of everything from brass prep through to weather conditions. I would love to take it further and see how the target scene do business..

I wouldnt be bothered about shooting with 1/4 MOA men around me, i know im not even in the same ballpark! :)

Cheers Ronin,

Ive found over the last year that the whole long range thing is very rewarding. Its a culmination of everything from brass prep through to weather conditions. I would love to take it further and see how the target scene do business..

I wouldnt be bothered about shooting with 1/4 MOA men around me, i know im not even in the same ballpark! :)

Hi Ben, if I remember rightly you didn't do too bad at WMS earlier this year with your 7-08 ;)

Darren.

Hi Ben, if I remember rightly you didn't do too bad at WMS earlier this year with your 7-08 ;)

Darren.

Hi Darren, good to hear from you. Yes the 7-08 didnt do too shabbily at WMS, ask dorg... ;) We lack the terrain where i am to do lots of long range plinking.. Ive got a taste for this long range stuff although only a FNG at it! Have you been doing much LR stuff?

BEN-get yourself over to diggle-you wont be dissapointed me and a pal have been a few times and sunday to take our memebership forms to vince hopefully to start after xmas then the fun begins,learning to shoot like "real men" :D im in the stages of sourcing a rifle and all the whistles and bells to try and compete.hopefully on sunday we will see what kit we will need.

your not far from me[leeds]so ripon would be another 30mins for you.

atb gary

BEN-get yourself over to diggle-you wont be dissapointed me and a pal have been a few times and sunday to take our memebership forms to vince hopefully to start after xmas then the fun begins,learning to shoot like "real men" :D im in the stages of sourcing a rifle and all the whistles and bells to try and compete.hopefully on sunday we will see what kit we will need.

your not far from me[leeds]so ripon would be another 30mins for you.

atb gary

Gary take note, theres a 900yrd Comp on the 13th I think and will be firing across the in road. Pick your time.

Cheers Gary,

Had a look on AA routeplanner, it said 1h30 ish. that was taking me down the back of harrogate, over towards otley and then onto the M62 from there.. Its probably a toss up on time and distance hopping onto the A1 from Ripon and going round that way..

Thanks guys for the fast replies. Vince, i would love to come to diggle, this weekend is a bit short notice although i will drop you an email to touch base. Do i need to registered with anyone before turning up at a club? How do people get into target shooting? As you say ronin, its not cheap so would it be acceptable for me to turn up with my 7-08 and have a go? what other equipment do you need apart from rifle, rounds, bipod/rest, wind meter and i suppose you dont even need the range finder? Do many people shoot off bipods?

Thanks

Ben

Ben,

Let me know when you can come to Diggle - have a look at our shooting calendar on www.diggleranges.com and maybe pick a day when we have an F Class shoot.

Bring your rifle if you like - no need to register in advance but e-mail me on vinceb@6ppc.fsnet.co.uk - our postcode for your satnav is OL3 5LB

Cheers

Vince

Archived