Signal Crayfish

brown dog

Yes, great with lemon juice on toast. No doubt there are better ways to eat them but it worked for me.

Edit - forgot to say they were boiled/simmered for a 3-4 minutes.

Signal crayfish are to our native crayfish what the grey squirrel is to the red.

Anyone any experience of cooking and eating them?

Yes, ate loads of them when in Suffolk. You ought to purge them before boiling them though as otherwise there is potential for nasties in their gut. Some signal males are pretty big so tailor your cooking times to them (i.e 5 mins or so for the bigger guys. They go nicely red when cooked as do crabs etc. Eat like you would lobster or langoustine etc

20 or so cooked ones in the fridge ready to shell now :-)

I leave them in clean water overnight then just drop them in to boiling water 5 or so at a time - 5 mins for the big ones 3 for the small.

The gap opening between the tail and the carapace is a good indicator they are cooked then drop them in to cold water to stop the cooking process or the hot shell will continue to cook the meat. The amount of tail meat does not seem to vary a huge amount between the large and small chaps but good meat in the claws of the monsters.

enjoy!

Tony

With lobsters, I usually put them in fresh water for about 15 minutes. They empty their stomachs so you get better a better taste after cooking them. As for signals, the ones I have caught, I cook them fresh and just de-vain them after cooked and before eating them, the say way you do with large prawns.

I've never really tried them, I thought you needed a licence to trap them or is it simply the case I have been missing out again?

As far as I know it is not only legal but probably encouraged as they are not native to this country, a small wire cage with some bits of fish in it hung in still water from a suitable tree works very nicely, hang a few traps out and call back in the morning.

As far as I know it is not only legal but probably encouraged as they are not native to this country, a small wire cage with some bits of fish in it hung in still water from a suitable tree works very nicely, hang a few traps out and call back in the morning.

See here Davy:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/119096.aspx

I think you need a fishing licence also

See here Davy:

http://www.environme...ing/119096.aspx

I think you need a fishing licence also

Well I never knew that, thanks for the heads up. :blush: <-- That is supposed to be an embarrassed smilie!

In the North of Spain (Basque region) they use them as bait for fishing as well as eating which is where I first came across them.

My reading on it is that there's a loophole; the law only describes 'trapping' (apparently the licence for that is a no cost bureaucratic hurdle); it doesn't describe the 'string and bacon' approach. Trapping without licence = offence. Nothing else is described. No trap; no offence. Anyway, think I'll be ringing up for a licence!

My reading on it is that there's a loophole; the law only describes 'trapping' (apparently the licence for that is a no cost bureaucratic hurdle); it doesn't describe the 'string and bacon' approach. Trapping without licence = offence. Nothing else is described. No trap; no offence. Anyway, think I'll be ringing up for a licence!

Trust you!! :lol::lol:

You are technically right but.... I would have a robust alternative defence and catching crabs wouldn't wash in a freshwater river.

I don't think doing it with string and bacon would free you from the need for a fishing licence and being stupid is not a defence. i.e. I was catchin crabs Mr EVA man so it isn't fishing although I Agree it LOOKS like I am fishing with this string in the water.

Happy days!!

• 1 month later...

I believe that it is illegal to remove them from the area you caught them alive, you must kill them immediately you have caught them!

I would imagine the fisheries board coming down very heavily if you got caught transporting them..

Loch Ken at Castle douglas is riddled with them..

regards

• 1 year later...

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/38045.aspx

You need a consent form as outlined in the link above. It is not the same as a license as such, but you need to satisfy certain requirements.

I did this a long time ago, and back then there was no mention of tags as per the link.

For gourmet varminters,there is always the big Crayfish Shoot in,I think, Louisiana.Sounds like fun,if they are in a decent size barrel.Have you been Vince?

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Soak them well and ideally only cook the tails

The bodies tend to turn the water yellow/brown and can taint the flesh

Only worth eating the tails anyway

Personally I would soak, cut the tails off and shell them and use them like a fresh prawn.

Catch as many of the bastewards as you can

Used to work for the NRA/EA and I don't know any licensing people who would ever prosecute anyone for trapping or catching

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that it is illegal to remove them from the area you caught them alive, you must kill them immediately you have caught them!

I would imagine the fisheries board coming down very heavily if you got caught transporting them..

Loch Ken at Castle douglas is riddled with them..

regards

It's illegal to remove them in Scotland dead or alive...but I have eaten some from loch ken and they were pretty good....unsure how I came into possession of them....