S200 Practice Rifle

brown dog

Decided a few months ago that I’ve not been getting enough trigger time; my sitting shooting in the last comp was poor. A big part of this is re-teaching myself to shoot left-handed (sounds silly, but after shooting right handed for so long, my brain seems to have forgotten how to control my left trigger finger!)

So, decided an air rifle was in order. Had a chance to handle the CZ200 in Prague and was struck by how similar the pistol grip is to my Manners stock.

An ideal practice rifle and small enough for the brats too.

Back in UK, got an S200 a few weeks ago; packed the stock to replicate-ish the Manners cheek weld too.

DSCN1648650x256.jpg

Opening groups were, to say the least, disappointing – grouped like mad woman’s sh’t. I was a smidge peed off.

Went to airgun BBS 2 days ago to ask for a solution; recommended to try 4.52 air arms pellets (I didn’t know diameters were choosable: 4.51; 4.52, 4.53)

Bloody Hell; problem solved! Top centre (on the edge of the paper) is my 1st 3 shots (aiming at one of the ink dots); adjusted scope and onto right hand red ( 2nd group); then 3 shots at orange then 3 at left hand red.

Big smile! :D

Then had a quick pop at each of the huns heads.

DSCN1647650x471.jpg

Then talked eldest brat (age 12) through having a go ; emphasised trigger control; her first group (still at 20m) is on the left. Second group on the right –and she knew she’d pulled one of them!

DSCN1650650x488.jpg

I’m chuffed :D:D

Wow :D

Back gardens just long enough ..........

Like the look of the rifle, now youve fettled trigger control, perhaps a lesson in reloading ? :lol:

Seriously, looks good, transposed Mq targets is excellent training idea.

Set me thinking of doing similar......

Bloody good idea and good tip on pellet diameters.

As it happens last week I was in Prague and had a look at the CZ 200s "colour" (fancy laimanted stock version). It is on the crimbo list for the kids. Looks ideal with a Harris bipod and scope. As you say small enough for kids to use as well.

After some reading I worked out I want a pump (rather than diving bottle) and rotary mag with it. I could not make out in the pic if yours has the mag system - if not, think they are about 60 quid as an add on and worth it to have the same technique as with a bolt repeater.

Love the targets.

David

David,

I'd advise against the pump - I got a normal dive size tank and it'll do thousands of shots -TerryH worked it out, can't remember the correct amount I think it was something like 4,000 before needing a re-fill; and the quick fill attachment that comes on the gun means it takes less than 2 minutes from 'empty and unattached' rifle to 'full and unattached' rifle.

The pump'll be a pain in the arse - and 4K shots mean that even if you have to go to Prague to get it done, it'll be once in a blue moon.

Haven't made the call on the mag; 60 quid seems a bit steep for what you get (a moulded POS that looks like it should cost less than a fiver.) I also think you need to get your scope solution sorted first and see if there's space under it for the mag system - it looks high.

I was planning on switching my 5-25 between my 6.5 and this; may still do so, but the picatinny adapter I got has the wrong length for the ring spacing - the scope mounting block positions on the S200 are in slightly odd places - far too near your face.

I've just ordered a small strip of picatinny to fix under the foreend so that I can attach an atlas (I had to order 3 strips, so I'll have two spare). I'll let you know how that goes.

David I'm with you on the self contained pump idea as I was looking at a s200 or s400. However just looked at a shop tonight selling the webley pumps for £149 and the detail is sparse but goes on to say ...Not reccomended. :blink: :blink: and they are selling them?

Anybody want to voice a reason why this should be so?

I heard one pump was equal to one pellet so with a capacity around 60 pellets in 22 then something like 60 ish strokes :unsure: should sort it.

BD - the gunshop in Devizes has a compressor with a dryair system. They will fill your bottle for £4 and let you shoot in the 25m airgun range for a fiver for all day!

Anybody want to voice a reason why this should be so?

I heard one pump was equal to one pellet so with a capacity around 60 pellets in 22 then something like 60 ish strokes :unsure: should sort it.

My understanding is that they ain't like a car tyre foot pump; and require considerable effort - every 60 shots you'll be doing a PT session :lol:

BD - the gunshop in Devizes has a compressor with a dryair system. They will fill your bottle for £4 and let you shoot in the 25m airgun range for a fiver for all day!

Thanks Rup, it was closed at the 'moment critique' and so I googled a great dive shop over in Melksham. Really friendly, also 4 quid. And blimey, technology has moved on...I did a serious amount of diving when I was 17/18 but the technology of the stuff we used now appears to be what they laugh about when reminiscing over a pint :lol:

HI BD

From what I can remember the air pumps are bloody hard work, and they do have a habit of introducing moisture in to the air cylinder, which over time will cause problems.

If you’ running a sub 12 Ft Lbs air rifle then a small diving tank should last for ages.

I used to run a Ripley FAC rifle and that needed 4000 PSI fill pressure, so no way could you use a hand pump on that!

ATB Bob

Gents

If you're looking at hand pumps make sure they are the later ones with a filter on the inlet. The early ones sucked crap in, the inlet being near the ground, and pushed it into the cylinder, my local air rifle shops was forever sorting PCP valve systems.

A 7 litre 300 bar dive cylinder on the S200 is good for 3500+ pellets. Here's a nice little calculator for those interested: http://www.shebbearshooters.co.uk/files/number-of-fills-v22.xls

Also just entered the modern world of air rifles - bit of an improvment over my old BSA Mercury :)

Brgds Terry

I bought my father an S400 carbine which I inherited back when he passed away. I'm amazed how bloody accurate it is and the ten shot system is flawless, I'd have sold my soul for one as a kid.

The pump is a PITA, I started him off with one thinking it would keep the old bugger fit but having tried it myself soon bought him a bottle.

Keep an eye out for an EB Sniper 10x42 Matt, you should find a used one for around £150 or less. UK version of the Super Sniper, Mildot, side focus will come down to 10M happily.

I'll have to download your McQ target and have a play.

Tony

Archived