Are all magazines crap!Someone should start a uk varmint mag (o yeah like we all have the time!)

craigyboy

:lol: Just thinking today wouldnt a magazine for uk varminters be great there just doesnt seem to be a alot on offer thats anygood these days. I get some of the yank ones which are ok, VHM is pretty good, I recently got my first Small calibre news and it was only a 1/4 inch thick for a quarterly it aint up too much. I get some of the uk mags also, shooting sports is pretty much useless these days, Target sports isnt a bad mag but obviously its more target orientated than varminting. All the mags seem to be the same though, never any bad reviews and we all know there is plenty of crap products on the market. I would love a mag with a good mix, hunt reports anything from long range rabbits to lamping foxes, storys of great shots etc. Gear reviews, all those bits and pieces you need to go hunting with, and honest reviews of them not just kissing ass. Rifles reviews, gunsmith reviews, calibre reviews. Atricles on precison handloading and reviews of the products needed to do it and proper gun maintanince and reviews of the products needed for it. Now that would be a mag worth reading. Dont be thinking I am niave to think that this could be done easy, it would be a full time job and require alot of writers to produce a monthly magazine, a web based magazine would be a lot easier though but you cant take it to the toilet! A web based magazine wouldnt be bad actually, maybe just have articles from all members submitted for approval and then if they meet it put on the site, its just a pity we didnt all have more time to do things like this it would make a great resource for beginners or if you were thinking about a new rifle, unsure of who to have work on your rifles etc. the problem with some mags for me is there is only a couple of writers (pete moore seems to write every artcie is shooting sports) if there was a web based mag that could have artciles submitted by 100's of members, that would give a nice broad range of products and views on them.

Now that would be great just too time consuming.

Guest 308Panther

Only prob to huntin reports is:

As soon as you report where the game is,it wont be there long cause the area is now packed so full of hunters ya cant shoot.

" a web based magazine would be a lot easier though but you cant take it to the toilet!"

Sure ya can....Wireless Laptop.

That magazine your lookin for is right here...Our Forum.

It didnt cost a cent to subscibe.

Its there as soon as you connect/log in...not a month later.

The info is passed on quicker too..Ya dont have to wait till it gets into print for your

question or problem to get an answer.

The acumalative years of experience is far more then I could even care to guess at...but I bet

its over 2,000 yrs.

If ya want to know about a gunsmith service,product,ammo,balistics...etc

You only have to ask.

Feel like ya have an opinion on a product and want to share it...Type one up.

Everything your lookin for is right here....

Unless ya insist on waitin on the mailman.

308Panther

Guest Norsveda
A good freind of mine made a valliant attempt at producing a quality UK stalking magazine called (Modern Stalking). Unfortunatly due to a combination of various things it failed after only its 3rd copy.

You realy need some serious money to back you for a project such as this. Like i say may mate works in the printing industry so he new the pit fall`s one could face..

Like you say Craig you never read a bad review on anything and you know why.. There never allowed to write a fecker thats why.

Too much money and investments tied up in projects and then you have guy`s who are that which promotes growth and vigour scared to tell the truth in fear of there asses being sued..

The fear of losing part of there income takes over so there for you never realy get to see/read the truth.. You see grown men using other men as stepping stones only for there own hidden agenda.

I love using that term, its a southern saying you know ;)

In the past i have been asked to review various things by people who i know and i have agreed. If the product`s that which promotes growth and vigour they dont get a review simple as that there`s no way i`d tell lies and then be part of some false back slapping and arse licking routine just to further myself.

How would one go about recomending a Sound Moderator in a magazine ?? If you cant or unable to read the pro`s and cons of certain make`s on a free open internet discussion site such as this then you realy aint going to find out about it any where else..

Vim

It is a very good point you raise and I would agree with that.

However the moderator issue is far from clear cut with the different makes around. There is a hidden agenda (Your southern expression) with the reviews on the moderators on here and I would say most are very aware of the reasons behind it.

It has become pathetic attempting to sway people from one moderator to another for the reasons stated knowing full well that the issues are clearly visible across the board of all moderators on the market. People are interested in pros and cons of products your right, but the way in which it has been conducted is complete sour grapes, again everyone knows this also.

Vim, Panther

words of wisdom indeed :lol: .

There are so many hunting / accuracy forums available on the net, that I only subscribe to one hard copy magazine.

Now the net is a wonderful place, so long as you regard it as an open place, where ANYTHING can be published including lies and disinformation - just like our newspapers in fact ;)

Youre right about magazines, I wrote a few pieces for Modern Stalking and was saddened to see it fall so early (like the web site) it was doomed for failiure due to a few indiduals who's opinion and (sometimes multiple) personalities overwraught everyone elses.

With a magazine, especially hunting or sporting magazines, one rarely gets an honest review, as theres advertising to sell at the end.

However all is not lost, as Panther has pointed out, there's enough material on here, or on other forums thats honest and straight talking to give even someone with irratble bowel syndrome enough matter to spend all their time in the smallest room of the house.

So long as people understand that everyone has a preferance over what product they want an informed and unbiased opinion of - even sound moderators :lol:

I would agree that I have never seen anything unfavorable in a mag. no doubt the editor has an eye on his advertsiing revenue !!. Generally the articals I look for are by Vince Bottomly, Laurie Holland and Bruce Potts in that order. Most of the product reviews done by Vince get put onto his site.

http://www.precisionrifle.co.uk/

Print and distribution costs these days are huge, we are talking about a pretty small (or exclusive if you like !!) group Uk wide, probably less than 2000 makes the print run and set up costs unviable. There is however no reason why we cannot build one on line. In my Modern Stalking days we had a section for articals, no one ever used it though. Maybe that might work here?.

Just thinking aloud.

A

I trust you got a Sinclair - never got along with the Stoney Point fiddly things.

Guest 308Panther

The internet is the best source of info yet.

and one does require an open mind....but no more than

what ya would need compared to some of the magazines.

http://wikipedia.org/ is pretty good for ammo,rifles,wildlife.

Years ago the magazines used to mention if a product had its

quirks...They dont now, as they all want the advertisement money.

Another problem is that in order for a small mag to get big enough

to survive is...Information.

Getting it on new products far enough in advance for it to be useful

to a reader/subscriber is a real headache.

Vim,

LEO's make for good friends,

Just becuase they carry a badge,doesnt mean they want to live it 24/7.

They are people too....Under a differant set of rules....But still people.

I was fortunate to have a Captain livin next doot to my high school sweatheart.

He was a great influence with a twisted sense of humor.

Ya never knew what was comin out the barrel on his trap reloads.

It might be shot...it might be a cloud of powdered cloth dye....it might even be

paper confetti wads.

Damn Good Man that is missed very much by those that knew him.

308Panther

The owner of the site and Magazine was a genuine bloke, from the same stable as me who dug his Terrier`s and who took more Deer in one season with one dog than anyman in this country with one gun,lol.

Vim

Thats one hell of a boast. In the good old ,bad old days when if its was brown it was down. My best tally for a single years was 306. I have a very good friend who still shoots in excess of 200 a year, and has done for as long as I have known him. How many did your dog using man take?

In your earlier post you claimed "then you have guy`s who are that which promotes growth and vigour scared to tell the truth in fear of there asses being sued" Surely if they were telling the truth they would have nothing to fear from telling the truth. It is only lies that get you into trouble with the law. You also claimed "You see grown men using other men as stepping stones only for there own hidden agenda." How does this work as far as reviews and magazine publishing is concerned.

I ask as a few friends and I are considering stating a subscription only internet magazine for country sports enthusiasts.

Vim

I presume your reply was in response to my post. The disappearance/deletion of you other posts may well have caused my confusion. That's what happens when posts are deleted from threads with out any explanation.The threads become disjointed and require additional clarifications. I am not your feared and dreaded Harry. ;)

Thanks for clearing up your boast. Are you also saying that the other claims I mentioned were also inaccurate? My partners and I need all the help we can get re our internet magazine, and we would rather not fall into the traps that have befallen others who have tried similar projects

I can only agree with you regarding the dis jointed look of topics once they have been edited ;)

But where there`s no confusion is with your man Harry because he`s neither feared or dreaded but quite simply regarded as a fool that appears with that silly simple sword of truth..

I thought he had the shield and the other guy had the sword? I could be wrong it has been known :D

I take it then that what you're saying is your have no answers to my questions. Lets move on and get back on topic.

Has anyone bothered to read Sporting Rifle, what do you think of it?

Archived