.17 fire ball

luke wady

i have just strated to use my .17 fire ball ,

have tried 25gr hornany hp and 17.5gr h322(rilfe dose not like) as well as 30gr bergers tride 3 laods 17gr , 17.5 and 18 gr but primer seem bit flat, so would like to kown whats every one trided

thaks luke

Got my fireball back from threading last week. Get my brass next sat ! can't wait, 25gr hornaday's and h4198 is my choice for powder.

i think that will be bit to fast , i have found h322 bit fast , i have some aa 2460 iam going to tring next week end, hope the primers are bit less flat,

as evan strat load with h322 is flatting primers.

thanks for reply splash

luke-h322 is not a very fast powder for the fb its medium to fast for the calibre the best powders for the fireball are faster in the range of benchmark,rel7 imr3031 and one im just trying out imr 4198 which i use in my 14/221- h4198 is good but not a case filler hogdsons max load for a 20 vmax is 16.7gns whereas h322 is about 19.6 and gives less presure.

with small calibres its nice to get them zinging out there very fast but as always theres a trade off i have found over the years that the slightly slower powders give better accuracy and still give you a very good velocity.

try a few powders abd enjoy the calibre.

splash-i started at15.6gns witha 20vmax and these did ok but i know the 20 vmax likes to go fast so i have some loads in.2gn increments up to 16.4 these i will shoot tommorow if its not windy.i think the seating depth i have is spot on for the 20vmax but an increase in velocity may have to change the seating depth-we will see.

I've been using 16 gr h4198 with a V-max 25 gr pill remington 7.5 primers but have tried federal match and get the same results ( but not cronoed the difference)

Less than 1/2 " at 100m killed a rabbit at 220m first shat at a live target. then a 60 m sqirrell destroyed it ! Then killed a fox at about 90-100m shot in neck droped to shot !

Well chuffed as the fox was the 20 th shot through the barrel.

Very happy with the rifle as Baldie told me to buy a rifle built for .17 FB if i wanted good feeding. And mine feeds as good as my other rifles.

Archived